We stayed 2 nights at the KI Wilderness Retreat after getting an excellent deal on wotif.com for $80/night in an Eco Lodge Room. Upon checking in, I asked to see the upgraded "Courtyard Suites" because I saw that each unit had its own balcony and wallabies were all over the place. All I can say is that this upgraded room is NOT worth the extra $100/night, and we happily stayed in our original Eco Lodge Room.
We ate dinner the first night at the hotel and thought the vegetarian dishes were mediocre and expensive. The following morning we splurged on the breakfest and was very disappointed.. for $60 we had a couple of scrabbled eggs, toast, yogurt and coffee. Since there aren't any other restaurants nearby, I assume that most guests end up eating at the hotel. If you are going to Kangaroo Island, I strongly recommend picking up groceries before heading to your resort for the night.
Regarding the septic situation as mentioned in other reviews, the problem is STILL going on and we were there in mid-April. You can't smell it from your room.. but it smells really bad when walking between the eco-lodge and the courtyard.
On a good note, we really enjoyed the courtyard area that had picnic tables, the numerous wallabies & feeding "Beanie" the live-in kangaroo, and the overall "wilderness" feel around the hotel. I think this hotel has great potential, so hopefully some changes are made in the future.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Perfectly situated adjacent Flinders Chase National Park a unique mix of eco-friendly facilities, local food and wine and located in the middle of the forrest provide an unforgettable wilderness experience. The idyllic location provides the perfect base for discovering the splendor of Kangaroo Island's natural wonders before returning to the tranquillity of the retreat to enjoy comfortable accommodation in the company of friendly native animals and an amazing array of birdlife. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Priceline, TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly and Cancelon so you can book your Kangaroo Island Wilderness Retreat reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Kangaroo Island Wilderness Retreat Hotel Flinders Chase
- Hotel Kangaroo Island
- Wilderness Retreat Kangaroo Island
- Kangaroo Island Wilderness Retreat Flinders Chase