Kangaroo Island Wilderness Retreat
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Flinders Chase
Reviewed 18 July 2010

Well, another good thing would be the location. Be forewarned, it is about a 90 minute drive from the airport, just FYI but very close to the Flinder's Chase National Park, so most will make it out towards this side of the island anyway.

ROOM: I got the econo lodge room for about $185 a night. The most disturbing thing for me was the bathroom. As you walk in, it is one tiled room with the toilet in one corner, the sink in another corner and the shower head in another corner with a moldy smelling shower curtain. That's it-no enclosed shower, nothing to separate the toilet, sink and shower! The towels were threadbare-looked orange but so worn and faded could've started out as a brown color. Only one small bar of soap, nothing else. HOWEVER, in my friend's room she had a soap/shampoo dispenser mounted on the wall! Good thing I always travel with my own shampoo and body soap!
The carpet was something you'd find in a school dormitory, thin and cheap. There was a small refrigerator in the room-odd though, for being so eco conscious you would think they would replace a refrigerator that leaks the cool air out-the door did not shut completely and the rubber seal/moulding was worn out. Another odd thing: my friend was also in an econo lodge room across the hall from me and she had air conditioning! But I did not! She did not have a television though...but I did (guess you can have one major electrical appliance but not both?). She also had a chair in her room, I did not, and don't forget-she had soap and shampoo! I do not know how they could get away with not having all of the rooms with the same amenities if you are charging the same price.

FOOD: ate at the restaurant once for dinner. Reservations had to be made ahead of time. Food was OK to a little tasty. Yes, a little pricey too but you are limited in your options. Luckily we did stock up on snacks before driving out towards this side of the island.

WALLABIES! now this was the BEST part for me as I loved 'em! They sell food in the lobby for them and when you go out and shake the bag they come running! Previous reviewers photos showed many wallabies with the resident kangaroo but I only had a few come by and did not see the kangaroo. Nonetheless the wallabies were so cute and timid I could not get enough of them!

KOALA sanctuary: less than 5 minute drive from the lodge and the night walk was well worth it! We went during the day but only saw a couple of sleeping koala's in the tree. But during the night walk (which is guided and have specific times-inquire with the lodge), we saw several with babies and even met the resident kangaroo and her joey in a protected area of the sanctuary-no she is not there as a captive but there as a rescued orphan when her mother was killed by a car and she was found in her pouch! Definitely recommend!

SERVICE: check in was easy, staff was friendly. However, later in the evening we encountered who I deducted to be the owners of the lodge. We were inquiring about the koala walk with the husband (?) and he was very aloof and standoffish. He didn't know the answers to our questions and was very vague and acted like we were wasting his time. His wife(?) seemed very impatient while speaking to the guests who were checking in and by her looks/dress and mannerisms, very pretentious which was kind of amusing for me considering where she was. The front desk also closes promptly in the evening-can't remember when but it's early- so good luck if you get there late. We saw the couple in the restaurant during dinner...they sat with the chef and had dinner like very important people!

I would not return and would not recommend this lodge unless you are willing to pay extra to be upgraded to their other rooms which, from photo's posted at least had a bathtub/shower combo! It was sooo not worth the money......

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled with friends
3  Thank memberWestLosAngeles

Reviewed 9 May 2010

We stayed 2 nights at the KI Wilderness Retreat after getting an excellent deal on wotif.com for $80/night in an Eco Lodge Room. Upon checking in, I asked to see the upgraded "Courtyard Suites" because I saw that each unit had its own balcony and wallabies were all over the place. All I can say is that this upgraded room is NOT worth the extra $100/night, and we happily stayed in our original Eco Lodge Room.

We ate dinner the first night at the hotel and thought the vegetarian dishes were mediocre and expensive. The following morning we splurged on the breakfest and was very disappointed.. for $60 we had a couple of scrabbled eggs, toast, yogurt and coffee. Since there aren't any other restaurants nearby, I assume that most guests end up eating at the hotel. If you are going to Kangaroo Island, I strongly recommend picking up groceries before heading to your resort for the night.

Regarding the septic situation as mentioned in other reviews, the problem is STILL going on and we were there in mid-April. You can't smell it from your room.. but it smells really bad when walking between the eco-lodge and the courtyard.

On a good note, we really enjoyed the courtyard area that had picnic tables, the numerous wallabies & feeding "Beanie" the live-in kangaroo, and the overall "wilderness" feel around the hotel. I think this hotel has great potential, so hopefully some changes are made in the future.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 March 2010

I would agree with most other reviews on this place - basic rooms for what you get. Food in the restaurant is good. One thing not mentioned but which really spoiled the place for our group was the smell of the sewerage system! Every time we stepped outside we were assailed by it. It seemed worse in the evening and eating outside and having that smell waft by is not pleasant. We did tell management so hopefully they will do something about it.

Stayed: March 2010
KimKangarooIsland, Manager at Kangaroo Island Wilderness Retreat, responded to this reviewResponded 28 December 2010

We have recently had the septic system upgraded and the orignal plant has been completely removed from the area it was in. Now the septic system is far away from the rooms and restaurant and located where our guests can not see nor smellanything.

Reviewed 4 March 2010

We spent one night at the Kangaroo Island Wilderness Retreat in January 2010. The appeal of the place is that it is at the west end of the island, in the wilds, but as a result the price of accommodation is quite high for what you get.

We stayed in a courtyard room. It was very much like a roadside motel, not quite what I expected for the price, but at a roadside motel you don't have wallabies hopping around on your deck! The room was clean, but basic and the notices about water shortages made me feel guilty about having a shower.

On the upside, the staff were friendly and the food in the restaurant very good. It was the only place to eat in the evening for miles and miles, so you are somewhat restricted. Breakfast the next morning was adequate and we also purchased a packed lunch to take away with us. Unfortunately we had to wait around for it as the chef had forgotten to prepare it. There is free, if slow, internet access in reception, which was a nice touch.

I'd recommend the hotel due to the good food and friendly wallabies, but be warned, it's not the cheapest and you won't be wowed by the room's decor.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 January 2010

Takes a while to get here, but worth the trip. I hired a car from Adelaide and used the ferry. Word of advice though. Tell the hire co. that you are going to K.I. As there can be issues with insurance, courtesy of careless Roos in roads.
The Wilderness Retreat Hotel is lovely & it's in a great location in real Aussie bush.
Get to see local wildlife literally on your doorstep. Feed the Wallaby's from your hand, (food available from reception). Restaurant highly recommended which is just as well as it's a long way from anywhere. Petrol available here too.

Stayed: November 2007
Reviewed 13 January 2010

We stayed at the Wilderness Retreat in January, peak time when the placed was fully booked. We needed two rooms to accommodate our family and frankly these rooms could not have been further apart.
Despite having a responsible 15 year old and well behaved younger children (11 and 12 years), management was firm that one parent had to be in each room. I was a little affronted that they could not take our word that our children would not run amok. No other hotel has ever enforced this. Then again, no other hotel has ever place us in such distant rooms!
One room was extremely basic and did not even have a television. Given the cost of the place, we were expecting something a little better. A few nights later we stayed at the Intercontinental in Adelaide with all luxuries imaginable, for less than the cost of KI Wilderness Retreat!
When we arrived to check in at 2.30pm we were told that our rooms would not be ready for around another hour. At this time we were greeted by the female half of the management team. She was friendly, but a little too 'in your face' for my liking. However, the male half of this team was far worse- he was, at best, surly and unhelpful.
KI Wilderness Retreat is a long way from anywhere and there are virtually no dining options. With this in mind we made a reservation for dinner at the in-house restaurant. We were booked to do a dusk quad bike wilderness tour (approx 30 minute drive from the Retreat) that evening, but had neglected to find out the time of the tour. When we were finally shown to the room with the phone (yes! only one room had a phone!!) we discovered the tour started at 6.30pm and ended at 8pm. Originally we booked dinner for 6.30pm. When I rang to change the time, explaining our situation, I was told that 8.30pm was absolutely the latest they would accept guests for dinner. I asked if we could pre- order so as not to detain staff. I was told that was not possible. I asked if there were any options available to us (could we simply have a plate of sandwiches for example?) and was told 'NO'. I asked him to please understand that we would have three hungry children and no alternatives available to us. He showed little regard.
The short version is that we made it back to the restaurant by about 8.40pm, asked if we could place our orders and then quickly go back to the rooms to get cleaned up. We sat to look at the menu and had the female manager lecture us on not being late back for our food as it was simply magnificent food and would be spoiled if not eaten immediately after serving!
The food WAS quite nice. However, in such a location something rustic and with an Australian flavour would be more suitable than attempting European delicacies! It was so pretentious! The food and the prices seem totally incongruous with the decor and setting.
I would probably recommend that travellers look at possible alternatives to this accommodation. It was our least favourite for our holiday.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled with family
2  Thank FisherFamily5
Reviewed 12 January 2010

We would agree with other reviewers, and with comments from fellow guests during our stay. The place is over priced for what it is. Even the courtyard rooms are really no better than standard motel rooms - nice and clean enough, but nothing out of the ordinary. We avoided breakfast at the retreat, following the advice to go to the Flinders Chase Visitors Centre which was very good and friendly. We also usually tried to have a big lunch at the Visitors Centre, then brought sandwiches and cake back to the room for the evening which worked fine. We did have dinner in the restaurant on our first night and it was OK.
The main advantage is the location, especially for getting out at dawn or dusk. The sunset was wonderful at Remarkable Rocks. We also got up at dawn to try and see platypus in the National Park, but then found out no one had actually seen one there for 3 years!! Still, it was a lovely dawn walk and we saw dozens of kangaroos really close up.
The chap in the room next to us didn't have a booking, and haggled them down to $180 on the price, saving nearly $100 on what we'd paid - worth bearing in mind!

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled as a couple
#3 of 5 in Kingscote
Kangaroo Island Acacia Apartments
Kangaroo Island Seaside Inn
Kangaroo Island Seaview Motel

Been to Kangaroo Island Wilderness Retreat? Share your experiences!