“Over priced, under quality”
Review of Bella Fonte's - CLOSED

Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 4 August 2011

We hadn't been to this restaurant for almost a year, the last time it had just changed ownership and name. It used to be called Portofinos and it used to be good.
What we like is the great location overlooking Hillarys boat harbour, excellent friendly service, plenty of seating and good atmosphere. However, my wife and I had to fill in a little time and just felt like a light meal and a glass of wine. We decided to share one chilli mussels dish and some garlic bread with a bottle of wine.
The garlic bread was fine however the mussel dish was very dissapointing. The serving was small, I'm guessing about 700 gramms (I often buy 1 kg mussels to cook at home). Quite a few of them were not opened thereby reducing the serving size even more. Quality was very ordinary, they were floury in texture indicating a lack of freshness. Had I paid attention to the price, I would have returned them but when we got the bill, I was staggered. $39 for the mussels, $9 for the garlick bread. Now in my mind, $48 for that serving was outrageous. I have their menu here and note some of the prices. Bruschetta $17, garlic prawns $44, Caesar salad $22, crepes $38.
To me, these are 5 star pices but it's not a 5 star establishment and it aint 5 star quality.
I will not recommend to anyone.