“yum yum yum”

Mad Mex
Ranked #22 of 66 Restaurants in Hillarys
Cuisines: Mexican
Reviewed 15 January 2014

ate nachos leisurley on the deck metal table and chairs opposite mad mex. Sat and watched the water, the people going by whilst trying to avoid the soy seagulls in amusement, watching their interactions with other patrons trying to eat in peace, Very funny

Reviewed 7 August 2013 via mobile

A friend chose Mad Mex for where we'd eat the other night whilst catching up. He ordered a quesadilla whilst I got the chicken nachos with guacamole and sour cream, jalapeños and the hottest sauce.

In general I would say the nachos at $17 were a little over priced, but tasted okay, but not fantastic. In ordering the hottest sauce and jalapeños I was expecting a bit of kick from my meal, though I am used to fire hot I must say, I did wonder if they'd served me the equivalent of pickles and lemon pepper at Nandos, it was so mild and thus disappointing.

My friend seemed happy with his quesadilla which came with a dipping sauce. I wished in sitting down I had bought that instead, clearly as he'd eaten there many times before he knew his favourites and went for it.

I probably won't be returning, not great value for money when compared to other options at Hillary's.

Reviewed 1 March 2013

A definite must if you like a little spicy food. Have had Mexican food before but this is much much better and quite cheap. The meal sizes are great and judging by the queue of people in the shop, others also must enjoy their food. I had a burrito with steak and the hottest salsa sauce, yummy.
Not really a restaurant, more like a take away with tables for you to sit at.

Reviewed 22 February 2013

So, I too lived in LA and have strong opinions about Mexican food. For take out, you can't find better in Perth, that's for sure! (This is according to my brother who lives there!). As for me, it was such a refreshing change from other fast food options. If you order the burrito, the portion is large and you really get value for the money. The bare burrito in the bowl needs to be larger. The flavors are good and the salsas are tasty. Overall, it was our go-to place after a morning at the beach or coming back from anywhere sightseeing where you didn't want to spend a fortune, but you were starving. Well done Mad Mex!

Reviewed 23 January 2013

I am from California, grew up on TexMex, and am known for my Mexican cooking. Now that my credentials are on the table :-) on to the review.

We have tried all but one of the Mexican restaurants in Perth (still need to try That Little Mexican Place) and they all get poor to ok ratings from me. Mad Mex is only a take away but it is the most authentic taste you're gonna find in Perth (unless TLMP is amazing, I shall have to try it soon).

The portions are usually good (unless you get a newbie skinny girl serving, in which case I'd come back another day!), the food can be uber spicey if you get the Yucatan version, you can get all vegie, all meat or a mix. Their website has a calorie calculator which is helpful. They offer brown rice and their beans actually taste like Mexican beans (as in they didn't just boil them in a huge pot of water as seems to be the case with the other Perth Mexican restaurants I've visited).

it's a take away so not the venue for a relaxing dinner, date or special occassion. It's just about the food. But if you like spicey and you only have $11 to spend you can't get a better deal in Hillarys. And I honestly think it beats Subway for health (or can depending on what you choose) as MadMex actually cooks all the meat on site, use tortillas instead of bread and has far fewer high calorie sauces.