“Great location”
Review of Rundle Cabins

Rundle Cabins
“Great location”
Reviewed 14 September 2013 via mobile

This was a great little cabin, they provide organic tea and everything you need to cook, also BBQ outside cabins if you want to grill, fridge, stove, kettle and coffee pot. Bathroom was a bit snug but worked. Location is across from the banff trail, we just crossed the highway and biked a leisurely 2 hr bike ride to banff for lunch and then biked back, it's easy and kids can do it with a few stops along the way. Canmore is about a 5 min drive or you can bike on the trail outside of the hotel. All in all a great place, we didn't really expect too much after reading reviews but were surprised by how clean and well equipped the cabin was, we stayed in #9 and couldn't be happier, we will stay here again next summer.

• Stayed September 2013

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 14 September 2013

what a dump... for the price, it is a rip off... never advice anyone to go there. Only one stove worked.. no microwave...no scrubbers, they expect you to clean up before you leave!! Their pots/pans (only 2), only 2 cups, saucers... all not clean... yes, I sh. have slept in my car

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Bharati K

Travellers are raving about these Harvie Heights hotels

Reviewed 13 September 2013

I am currently staying in a cabin at Rundle Ridge Chalets and am having a great time! We arrived here earlier today and the staff has been very accommodating and pleasant. The rooms are nice, clean and have everything you need! There are bbqs & firepits u can use. It really makes you feel like youre in the wilderness. At first I was a little worried as I had previously read the reviews and heard what other people had to say. I'm extremely happy that I chose to ignore them and experience it for myself. The only advice I have for people is that if u want a 5 star hotel....then go to one!! Don't stay at a great priced cabin & complain and write awful reviews. You get what you pay for, and at Rundle Ridge Chalets you get MORE than u pay for.

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank Lbridson
Naples, Florida
Reviewed 31 August 2013

There's "rustic" as a design choice, and there's "rustic" as in derelict. This place advertises itself as the former, but is actually the latter. I wish the ownership spent as much on upkeep of the cabins as they must do on their beautiful but misleading website. We booked ahead and paid ahead for 4 nights. The “no cancellation” policy should have been a red flag to us.

We checked in, and could see immediately that our cabin was not habitable. Part of the floor was unfinished, just plywood. There was some strange wire sticking out of the wall; was it part of a thermostat? The furniture was the worst part. I have a picture of a chair so old and dirty it had a black crust on it; you certainly didn’t want to risk sitting on it. I also have a picture of where I wrote in the dirt on the floor. For our vacation we planned on cleaning up and going out to dinner every night. There’s no way you could get clean in this cabin.

So instead of enjoying our first evening in the Banff area, we spent our first evening looking for somewhere else to stay. We left the next day. That’s how bad this place is: we walked away from approximately $600. Don't gamble with your vacation like we did. Find a reputable place to stay.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
4 Thank Dog W
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 29 August 2013

First, we had to pay in full even though we booked months in advance (should have known better). When we got there, the woman at the counter was nice. We were 3 adults, and we got 1 double bed & a fold-out couch (for $169/night!!). The cabin was full of mosquitoes because the screens had gaping holes in them. The screens were not properly installed: they were STAPLED to the window frames! We stuffed towels in the windows to block they holes. One lamp had a short circuit. Two out of 3 burners on the stove did not work. The WiFi was on and off. Then we went out for dinner & when we got back quite late, we realized that there was no bedding or pillows for the fold-out! When we were arranging the "real" bed, HORRORS of HORRORS, we found there was BLOOD on the pillowcases that had soaked right through onto the pillow!! I decided to sleep in the car instead. The next day we complained & were given another cabin, a supposed "upgrade". It wasn't much better. The person who cleaned the room made the bed, but threw all the blankets from the fold-out in a pile on the bed! There was 1 fork and 8 spoons & the dish towel was a rag with holes in it. The shower was a tin stall. Anything good to say? Hmmm...let me think...um...well maybe the woman at the counter who was nice but seemed utterly ashamed to work there.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
5 Thank kaittee
Rundle888, Manager at Rundle Cabins, responded to this review, 31 August 2013
Please allow me to correct your slanderous review. After every guest checks out of a cabin, every piece of linen is removed and washed, every time, no exceptions. This includes pillow cases, sheets, blankets and bed pads. I am sorry the mosquitoes were bothersome to you, I will be sure to inform the local bug population that they are not welcome at our treed, mountain location. We have recently purchased $30,000.00 worth of bedding and $20,000.00 worth of furniture to replace the dated decor that still remains in some of the cabins. We have a 24 hour phone number posted on our front door and a payphone, just incase you do not have a cell, and our staff would have been more than happy to bring you additional bedding at any time. If there was blood on a pillow case, I am sure it would been from you killing a mosquito!! I don't know where you got your figure of $169.00 because all of our studio cabins with a wood stove and kitchenette are and have been $89.00 all summer long. I think you may of left a review for the wrong facility.
Rouleau, Saskatchewan, Canada
Reviewed 28 August 2013

First off my girlfriend's credit card was charged before she returned the authorization email as we paid months in advance to get the good rate. Apparently if you pay by cash when you arrive you get a cheaper rate but that deal sounds as shady as this whole cabin complex. First cabin we were in, cabin 14, ended up with bees coming in through the walls and ceiling, cabin staff denies seeing any bees but why the freshly drilled holes in the walls on the outside at the back of the cabin and why when we checked with an exterminator in Calgary had the staff of Rundle Ridge already contacted them about a bee removal quote the day before we called? They offered to move us but we intentionally booked a non wood burning cabin as my girlfriend and I both suffer from asthma but all they could move us to was a wood burning cabin. We had no choice to move due to the bees and while we were in the process of moving one of our dogs was attacked while on his leash by another guests off leash Bull Mastiff sending us to the vet and $250 vet bill which the other owner will not pay as he was checking out at the time and we never heard from him again. Front desk staff would not give us the other owners information as I was told it was against their policies to do so but the other guest was entitled to my info to contact me but of course he never did. We had to contact the RM to handle this matter for us and this incident wasted two days vacation and spoiled all our hiking plans etc. as we ended up with a wounded dog who needed attention every few hours to clean the bite wounds on his neck.Turns out the other dog owner is friends with one of the workers and a regular at Rundle Ridge so go figure. Then the next night the town of Canmore had a planned water outtage which daytime cabin staff was aware of but never advised the night staff or cabin guests.....water was out from that night till 5am next morning. Cabin we were moved to was missing screens on the windows, two hornets nests under the eaves, a mysterious tennis ball sized hole through the floor which was hidden by the couch, water stains up the walls but apparently was not caused by the flooding, smelled of smoke and urine, the smoke detector was laying on the floor as it had fallen off the wall, fire extinguishers that were 2 years past their yearly required inspections which is a major violation of the fire codes AND this cabin was considered an upgrade. After spending just two days in the so called upgraded cabin my girlfriend had to contact a doctor to get a presciption for her asthma as the air quality in cabin 29 was questionable to say the least as was the dirty carpet. Finally we had all we could take and left the cabin two days before we were to check out and moved to The Rocky Mountain Ski Lodge in Canmore which was an excellent upgrade and well worth the move! When cabin staff was approached on all these issues and events we were told they had no management on site and we that we could not contact the owner as he was on holidays and then we were told by another staff member that he is a workaholic and spends all his time at another company he has in Calgary. If this is what Rundle Ridge has to offer as a rustic cabin experience they are seriously mistaken and they should take a tour of other cabin sites in that area we have previously stayed in and they will see how sub par and ghetto like their accomodations truly are!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Kent H
Rundle888, Manager at Rundle Cabins, responded to this review, 31 August 2013
It is unbelievable what people are allowed to post on this site!!!!
I can't even respond to your review because it is 100% untrue. I fully recall your stay with us and your attempt to extort a free stay by threatening to leave a bad review. I am sure that because of people like you, hotel owners around the world would love to have a Guest Review Site so we could expose you to other unsuspecting victims, of your tactics.
Vancouver Island
Reviewed 19 August 2013

We rented 3 cabins, and I would say they all need a good renovation. We found the prices high, but lower than anything we checked in Banff. The service could have been much better. We spent two nights and they did not make our beds nor did they supply us with coffee on the second day. The cabins could have been cleaner. We found it difficult to get a good night sleep due to the trains passing nearby and also because the beds were too small for two people. Additionally, security was compromised; one of the window panes in our cabin's door was not properly secured, and it would have been very easy for anyone to remove it and open the inside door lock from outside.

On the positive side, the location is great. I think this place could be much better if management would pay more attention to details. I hope they read my comments and the ones made by other reviewers and take corrective action.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank El-Pescador007
Rundle888, Front Office Manager at Rundle Cabins, responded to this review, 31 August 2013
Rundle Ridge Chalets would like to thank you for your feedback in advance.
A sincere apology for the service that was not up to the standards of what we strive to achieve. We are currently updating and renovating cabins and hope that you will reconsider staying with us again to experience are improved cabins, service and rates.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Harvie Heights
Holiday Inn Canmore
#14 of 28 in Canmore
Rocky Mountain Ski Lodge
HI-Banff Alpine Centre

Been to Rundle Cabins? Share your experiences!