“Lovely weekend”

The Butterleigh Inn
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Butterleigh
The Butterleigh Inn
Ranked #1 of 2 Butterleigh B&B and Inns
Barnstaple, United Kingdom
“Lovely weekend”
Reviewed 28 January 2013

Stayed for two nights. Both double rooms where very well presented. Had dinner in the bar on both nights, good food, nice pint. Full breakfast was served anytime we pleased, just gave them an idea of what time the evening before.
Traditional country pub with a nice atmosphere, just right for a relaxed weekend away.
10 minutes to the motorway, or better still take the lanes into Exeter, 20 minutes, or Tiverton and Exmoor beyond, 10 minutes. There are also some nice walks right on the doorstep.
Will be returning soon.

Room Tip: All rooms have separate entrance to the pub so you can come and go with ease.
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 January 2013

Been there twice now for evening meals, both times in a group of seven. Although busy we were welcomed and served quickly. The food choice is excellent, especially considering we have some fussy children. Beer and wine choice also excellent and reasonably priced. Will be back next time we're down in Devon. We have not stayed in the rooms so can't comment on that.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
Gillingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 January 2013

I have reviewed this pub before and I received a rather lengthy response from the Landlord. Whilst my review was acknowledged as constructive, after all I gave them a glowing report, I was left thinking that their response was just a little too defensive for such a good report. So I went back!

We had booked a meal for Christmas week; the large car park at the back was very full but still had spaces left. As we walked through the door, we found that the pub was “packed” and the bar maids working like mad getting orders fulfilled and it also looked like most of the people were going into the dining area. It can actually seat quite a few people for such a small pub. I thought to myself that this was going to be interesting test for their claims on service.

As soon as we entered the pub and approached the bar, we were greeted and seated. We ordered drinks and were given them promptly and the meal order taken efficiently. The menu was of good honest pub fayre and whilst it is generally what you would expect, there was a good choice of specials. It was not overpriced and neither were the drinks. The food arrived very quickly indeed; it was well presented, of a good portion and well cooked. It was delicious. It must have been very busy in that kitchen and all bar staff were working “full out” but still they got that food out quickly and the drinks served efficiently.

I know that the owners do not wish to make it a restaurant style establishment and that I can perfectly understand but I honestly believe that the dining tables do need to be made more welcoming. Never-the-less, we enjoyed the visit very much and I am sure you will. These people are working hard at their business and they will look after you very well. I see why they were defensive but they passed with flying colours and their claims were upheld. Well done!

As an aside, there are some magnificent views around this pub, particularly in the summer, but watch out as the roads can get very narrow in places. I will certainly return again and I commend it to you all.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
Matthew G, Owner at The Butterleigh Inn, responded to this review, 16 January 2013
We were delighted that you came back to see us again, and that you enjoyed your visit. Thanks for the construtive comments, all noted. One of the joys of this business is the pleasure we get from welcoming guests back who return beacause they enjoy what 'The Butterleigh' is all about. Cheers, and hope we may see you again sometime!
Reviewed 8 October 2012

Two colleagues and I were given the opportunity to enjoy the hospitality of Jo and Matt for an evening, night and morning whilst undertaking work in Exeter recently. Due to an event in the city, all the B&Bs and hotels in Exeter were fully booked and The Butterleigh Inn was the closest accommodation we could find - only twenty minutes by car from the cathedral.

Serendipity was smiling on us it would seem, as without doubt we could not have found a warmer welcome, better beer, better food, more comfortable beds or a better breakfast in more charming surroundings than those which met us at Butterleigh. I cannot recommend the place highly enough - we were sorely disappointed not to be able to stay a second night as the rooms were booked already.

Free wifi is also worth singing the praises of, along with welcoming regulars, friendly dogs, excellent food and outstanding value for money.

Room Tip: You cannot go wrong, the rooms are all excellent and as one would hope but not necessarily expect.
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
Gillingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 August 2012

We came here on recommendation of our friends and my daughter with no expectations other than looking forward to a good meal and a glass of wine. We walked from the car park to the pub entrance through a vined canopy where we were greeted by fairly thick cigarette smoke and slightly boisterous smoker/drinkers, locals I assumed. I entered the bar to be only slightly acknowledged by the bar staff. Looking around I saw a people eating, drinking and chatting and no discernible dining area. With still no contact from the bar staff, I then noticed a dining area at the rear. I looked over numerous and various size tables with absolutely no apparent preparation for any sort of a dining experience. At this point, I was a little disappointed and still ignored by the staff, I returned to the bar and was about to walk out when we were finally asked what we wanted to drink. Not a good start but my initial impressions were about to be proved wrong – big time.

We were told to sit anywhere and once seated, were immediately given menus. The menu was comprehensive and varied and there were also “specials” available. Orders were taken efficiently and the food arrived quickly and the staff were attentive. The food was unpretentious honest pub food very well cooked, presented very well and not overpriced. Neither was the wine list. I see why this place has got a good reputation. Yes, I think they need to get the restaurant better presented and yes, the reception of diners was not good but these people are doing it right in all the important aspects. The people here are lovely so don’t be put off by first impressions. If you are in the area, I commend this pub to you.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
Matthew G, Owner at The Butterleigh Inn, responded to this review, 21 August 2012
Thank you for your report, and, ultimately, your kind comments.

I was surprised that you found cigarette smoke to be noticeable on your arrival. As the sheltered area to the front of the pub is open on 3 sides, we would hope that this would not normally present too much of a problem for our non-smoking visitors, who now significantly outnumber the smokers. It would appear that you visited on a busy night, as generally the outside area is not used much until later when our dinner service is complete. I suspect some of our younger customers were around enjoying a warm evening. Many of our visitors comment on the fact that 'The Buterleigh' attracts a mixed crowd from all walks of life who all mingle well and are friendly, chatty and welcoming to other guests, and this remains a part of the pub's unique charm, which we as owners naturally try to engender,which is why the lack of welcome you received from us is regretable.

As the pub is fairly small, we always try to ensure guests are promptly greeted and attended to as soon as possible when the bar is busy. Sorry that it appears, for some reason, not to have happened on this occasion. I am delighted that you did enjoy your dinner with us, and I note your comments about our dining room. In the changing and unpredictable pub trade, we are determined to remain solidly as a traditional country pub with a menu that reflects this. As such, we tend not to apply the term 'restaurant' to our dining space, or make it look too formal - we definately wish to remain a pub serving food, rather than become a restaurant serving beer, which has been the fate of many rural pubs. However, we do plan to redecorate and freshen up the dining room during the coming winter to enhance the experience of our customers who enjoy this area.

Thank you again for your positive and constructive comments. We hope that you may visit again when you are in this part of the world.
Isle of Wight, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 August 2012

The Butterleigh Inn is a brilliant country pub. It's full of locals, all of whom made us feel very welcome. The owners are very friendly and helpful. Our dinner was excellent, as was the full English cooked breakfast the following morning. I would thoroughly recommend a visit!

Room Tip: All four rooms are separate to the pub. Our room was excellent. Had a quick look at another one, w...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Carroll64
Tortola, British Virgin Islands
Reviewed 19 July 2012

My family are fortunate enough to live near to the Butterleigh and, although I've now moved abroad, on trips home I make dinner at the Butterleigh a priority!
I haven't stayed in their rooms, but the bar and restaurant areas are fantastically welcoming with the log fire and cheerful service from Jo and Matt. The bar is always full of local regulars, I'm told the real ales are brilliant and I can definitely attest to the good wine selection, which is all reasonably priced.
On my last trip back a group of six of us went for dinner and everyone was thrilled with their meals, I had the steak and ale pie which was delicious (and drew envious glances from my boyfriend). Portions are generous, fairly priced and they have daily specials.
The Butterleigh is hugely popular with visitors and locals alike and as soon as you pay them a visit it is very obvious why. The pub is integral to the local community and I love the fact that (well-behaved) dogs are welcome. The Butterleigh represents what all small, local inns should strive towards, really good beers and excellent, unpretentious food in a lovely setting.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Butterleigh
Padbrook Park Hotel
Muddifords Court Country House
The Fisherman's Cot
The Fisherman's Cot
#1 of 4 in Bickleigh

Been to The Butterleigh Inn? Share your experiences!