“A true oasis of pleasure in every way!”
Review of Sani Asterias

Sani Asterias
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Sani
Reviewed 29 July 2007

From the moment our family steped onto the property of this tropical paradise our family was treated like royalty. Our villa had the most breath taking view of the beach especially at sunset. This family friendly resort offered our two children more than enough activities to have each of them happy for the entire week. The spa was worth every penny for the diverse packages that were offered for both my husband and myself, allowing us the quite time together without worring about our children. Thanks to the General Manager and his wonderful staff our long trip blues were quickly soothed away, making this trip quite remarkable. Greece will be the excuse just to go back to this fantastic resort !

A well rested & happy family in Closter, NJ

Stayed: July 2007
1  Thank ladyofcaviar

Reviewed 25 July 2007

Although we are lucky enough to have several holidays during the year, this was only our second holiday with our little baby - now 1 at the time of this holiday.

We specifically choose the Sani Asterias Suites as it was recommended to us by other friends with children. I must admit that, initially, I felt that we'd made a mistake when we first arrived, however, by the time we left we had decided it was the PERFECT place to holiday. (NB: I would not particularly choose this resort except for the superb facilities that also happen to work for people with babies / children).

So.....the downside: the whole Sani "resort" was built as a new marina a couple of years ago. As with anything purpose built, it's great in many senses but somewhat lacking in atmosphere. The Sani marina itself is a lovely place to walk round in the evenings. There are some great restaurants, including the Japanese restaurant where we had some superb food (there are chefs there from Nobu in New York and Roka in London). Tomato is superb too, as is the pretty "local" Greek taverna with whitewashed walls and blue chairs.

The resort has quite a broad appeal in terms of the fact that there are several hotels dotted around, all with different star-ratings. The Asterias Suites is the most "boutique" and five star, however, there are some other fairly price sensitive hotels. This means that you get a great mix of people in the marina / resort - read into this what you will!

On the plus sides, we thought the Asterias Suites was fantastic. The main restaurant at the hotel serves truly sensational food. The bar is pretty cool too. The pool is very lovely and gently shelves from the edge (ie: a couple of inches deep) so it's great for babies to sit and play in for hours on end. There is also a lovely beach with great beach service ie: drinks / icecreams etc. There's also a free 30 minute "Babe watch" service to look after your kids, after which is chargeable. The rooms themselves work incredibly well for people with kids. As you enter, there's a lovely living room (great to put a cot in) and then a bedroom off it. Our baby slept in the living room which meant the babysitter could sit in our bedroom to watch TV. As there are French doors from both the living room and bedroom leading onto the terrace (with sofa / chairs / 2 sun loungers etc) you can access the Suite from the garden rather than having to go in via the living room. Also, if your baby is sleeping during the day, you can have lunch on your beautiful terrace & then sunbathe in the garden. I know this review sounds incredibly biased towards the experience with kids, however, it really does work so well! However, for those people without kids (and we're the kind of people who don't like to see other people's kids after 7pm at the latest) I think it can still work well. NB: the hotel think the best suites are the ones facing the beach, but actually many guests, like us, preferred the poolside ones - they're only a step away from the beach too. Finally, one last thing I forgot to mention - it's a great transfer from the airport - only 1 hour. We would give it a 10/10 for travelling with a baby and it's also great value for money.

• Stayed: June 2007, travelled with family
7  Thank S Boyce
Reviewed 23 July 2007

Like a couple of the previous posters, we were surprised to find ourselves being rushed to the resort in a taxi that had clearly seen better days with our luggage hanging out of the boot. A rather "unusual" transfer and in stark contrast to the resort car we were provided with for the return

We stayed in one of the beach front suites - well equipped, clean and as far as we were concerned very comfortable. Not so for our children (12 and 9) who found their fold-down beds particularly uncomfortable even with a second mattress

There were a number of things that we really liked about the resort. Where else in Europe can you be guaranteed to get four sunbeds together in the sun or shade, by the pool or by the sea, in the middle of July at 11:30 am? The service was friendly and informal yet professional throughout. The Spa was excellent, and pretty good value too. The Marina offered a good quality range of dinner options - we liked See You Up (ridiculous name but good Japanese, allbeit with a strange interpretation of sashimi). Tomata was mixed but could be excellent and the daily specials seemed to go very quickly. The pizza restaurant was just about OK and the "traditional" Greek near the newsagent was great for lunch. The Water restaurant in the hotel itself was excellent for dinner too although the very good daily specials were the same each day

Lunch in the hotel was one of the few let-downs - a rather "heavy" menu that took a long time to serve. But we could go elsewhere and the flexibility was one of the highlights of a very successful relaxing break

3  Thank seagulls77
Reviewed 20 July 2007

We have stayed in the Beach Standard Suite for 12 nights at the end of June- beg July this year with two kids of 4.5 and 2.5. I was sorry to read the previous negative review as for the money that you pay for the Suite you are definitely going to be disappointed should you suffer what the author of the review did. Luckily nothing like this happened to us: we had two taxies waiting for us to take us and the luggage: yes they were ordinary taxies, very hot when we got inside but ok. On the way back it was a nice large car belonging to the resort and a lady at the airpot meeting us with the trolley ready on hand. We have never had any problems with the beach beds while leaving our belongings there for the most part of the day while our litte one was sleeping in the room: we found the beach perfect for kids, shallow, warm and safe if a bit dirty. Our kids loved the swimming pool and again no swimming trunks turned green.. there were very few people in the pool and it has nice features so the kids were happy. The pool service was also very good.

We thought that the room cleaning could be improved and the timing of the evening service timed better but otherwise nothing much to complain.

We didnt like the fact that the dirty cups and glasses were left outside the door for few hours and we even had a broken glass just outside the door which took few attempts from the staff to clean properly!

These were of course annoying small things but overall the staff was very good, friendly and competent, always there for you. The Club car drivers were particulary friendly, our kids loved to go down to the marina on this small cars.

Other nice things: very good beds for kids: they loved them straight away with special beddings. Spacious room, 30 seconds to the beach, good variety of places to eat..

It has been a very relaxing and truly enjoyable holiday for the whole family.

1  Thank MatiLondon
Reviewed 20 July 2007

We have just had a very enjoyable ten days at the Sani Asteria Suites which was marred by appalling taxi transfers between the hotel and airport. When we arrived we were met by a scruffy man who couldnt speak English and who led us to a battered taxi. There were four of us and only three working seatbelts. Our two suitcases wouldnt fit in the boot, so he jammed them in as best he could and tied it all down with rope.....then hared off to the hotel! Mindful of this we requested a larger return vehicle .....on that morning exactly the same taxi turned up! The hotel manager did seem somewhat embarassed and ordered another taxi. Five minutes later another one arrived...same make and model...same problem. We have stayed at many luxury and five star hotels and have never had such bad transport. We noticed a lot of taxis entering and exiting the Sani complex with suitcases tied into the boot. and frightened looking passengers, so this is obviously a problem.
The hotel itself was very nice..the staff were extremely friendly, but didnt have the polish of staff at other luxury hotels we have stayed at. The beach front suite was fine, if a bit small, but the bathroom was dingy and not really very nice. Maid service was very thorough, swift and efficient.
There are nests of swallows everywhere and though charming can be very noisy! We didnt find the music from the beach bar too bad...we had been forwarned, so used the A/C to mask it. The suites can be quite noisy in general.....you can hear the guests on the floor above taking a shower and when they start moving their chairs around on the tiled floors the screeching can be irrritating. The guests were mostly English with some Greeks and Germans. Everyone was very quite and the children were well behaved. Our two children loved the hotel, the beach, the pool (but beware some of the shiny marble tiles around the pool...even walking on them with wet feet is very dangerous as they are so slippery) and the bicycles for hire. We also recommend the open air cinema, Cine Orfeas, which is a very enjoyable experience. The food was very good, especially Tomata, its sister restaurant Beefsteki.and the ouzerie fish restaurant at the marina. The Water Restaurant was good, the Water Bar good, but you can find yourself waiting some time to be served. The only bad food we had was at the Bosporous....rubbery souvlaki and workmanlike greek salads.
The beach was better than we thought it would be...fine sand, warm shallow water and plenty to look at with the boats coming in and out of the marina. The marina was lovely...it does add glamour to what could be a bit of a mediterranean Disneyland resort. The supermarket at the marina is very useful and sold everything we needed. All in all we would recommend it as a great resort for families, but we wouldnt go if we didnt have children.

1  Thank Kirsten B
Reviewed 11 July 2007

We have just returned from 10 days at the Sani Asterias Suites in Halkidiki. The 2 star rating was given for the location and the actual Suites themselves which were both excellent. As far as the management trying to run a five star resort it was just abysmal.

Having booked direct with the hotel I arranged with them the transfers to and from the airport and seeing as it was a five star resort expected this to run smoothly. How wrong could I be we were shown towards a 10 year old Mercedes taxi which clearly wasnt going to be big enough for 2 adults, 1 toddler, 3 suitcases and a pushchair even though I had pre warned the hotel we would have 3 cases. The result was the suitcases that would not go in the boot were on the front passenger seat resulting in my little boy in a car seat, my fiance and me were squashed into the back, resulting in nobody being able to put on their seatbelts (well apart from the driver). This got a bit worrying when he sped off and was doing 150kmh down the dual carriage ways weaving in and out of cars !!

We at least made it to the hotel in 1 piece and when we informed them of the treacherous transfer they just laughed.
It was after they stopped laughing they informed me it was our lucky day and we were being upgraded for 1 night. I declined the offer informing the reservations clerk that all i wanted to do was get into our suite, unpack and relax for our 10 day holiday. The reservation clerk again insisted that I should accept the upgrade which i again declined. it was only then I was informed that my room wasnt available until the following day as there had been a problem with the booking system and I had no choice but to accept their offer. At this point I advised them I had booked the holiday directly with the hotel back in January to stop this happening. I was then informed the reservations have been messed up all year and people who booked before me were also having problems..... Not a good start to a 10 day holiday.

Well the next 4 days I can only describe as eventful

On day 2 (Now in our new room). The shower leaked as the seal on the door had rotted away. We found this out when the water had run into the lounge and my 2 year old son slipped on the water and fell on his back whilst walking from the bedroom.

On day 3. Now trying to relax we used the swimming pool and found that our swimming costumes had turned a greeny colour. I reported this to the Front Office manager who was now becoming a personal friend the amount of times I had seen him in 3 days and he told me that it was my sun tan lotion despite me questioning the chemicals in the pool. The next day exactly the same happened and with now 6 swimming costumes in total ruined I had, had enough and again complained. This time they admitted that there was too much chlorine in the water and it has been sorted. Well exactly the same thing happened for the next 7 days so as far as I was concerned it wasnt sorted.

On day 4 we went to the beach, put our towels and belongings down, sat down for roughly 30 mins before going back to our suite to change my sons nappy. upon returning our belongings were nowhere to be seen and someone else was on our sunbeds. The someone else explained they had reserved these sunbeds and the beach staff had forgot to put the sign on them and had moved our belongings half way down the beach without as much as a word to us. Our sons toys had also been taken and put in a bag with a host of other thinbgs that previous holiday makers had left behind.

On day 5 I ordered some room service and asked the chef what he could make for my son. He suggested fish fingers which sounded fine. When they arrived they were lumps of fish in batter and looked very nice. My son took a bite and LUCKILY spat it out as his first mouthful contained bones. Now fish bones and 2 year olds dont go together.

I asked on several occasions to see the manager and it wasnt until i informed them that if i didnt see him there would be a problem when we left as I wouldnt be paying.... Suprise Suprise he turned up in 10 mins to see us.

Now maybe we was just unlucky as several other people we spoke to loved it and were already re-booking for next year. Unfortunately my family couldn't wait to get home.

The hotel staff tried hard, the location is lovely but the management just wasn't up to it and I will not be going back

7  Thank stevewalker33
Reviewed 22 June 2007

We stayed here for 10 days from 17th May and the overall experience was wonderful.

We had booked a beach front junior suite directly with the hotel (if you book for more than 7 nights you get free airport transfers) but on arrival there was a problem with the block we were supposed to be in so for the first night we were put in a first floor marina view junior suite. We were due to be moved the next day but we discovered that we were being moved to the suite at the far end of the complex, right next to a beach bar (and nearest to the Sani Beach Hotel) which
has music blaring out all day and night. Compared to the tranquility of our marina view we did not welcome this at all. We asked if it was possible to stay where we were and, after some checking, they said yes. Not only that but they also charged us the lower room rate for the marina view suite which was completely unexpected.

In our opinion, particularly if you have a family, you cannot go wrong with the marina view suites as the beach view isn't really that special - depends what you like really. There were only two of us so the junior suite was plenty big enough (and absolutely gorgeous!) but families may need the standard suite.

The hotel itself was wonderful and the staff were definitely first class. We had stayed at the Beach Hotel a couple of years ago and the
difference in staff quality was astounding. At Asterias EVERYONE is smiling and they seem genuinely happy to see you.

What we didn't discover until a few weeks before we went was that our
visit coincided with the Sani Gourmet. This is a food festival held in the complex which, this year, lasted for 8 days. Not a major problem except that one of the restaurants involved was the Water Restaurant (Asterias' only restaurant) meaning that you couldn't eat from the normal menu in your own hotel. In the end we ate at 4 gourmet nights, 2 at the Sea You Up restaurant and 2 at Water and the standard ranged from not bad (a 2 star michelin chef!) to stunning (Japanese by chef Shoji Morita). Each gourmet meal was €100 per person but this included wine with every course so was pretty good value (considering the quality). My only gripe with the Gourmet was that it was clearly intended for Greeks and we were made to feel second class at times.

Our main reason for going to Sani is the wonderful choice of restaurants in the marina and although some of them were used for the Gourmet there were still a good choice available and they were all up to the usual high standard.

Now onto the kids part. We left on the sunday and the saturday was obviously the start of half-term in the UK and perhaps elsewhere in Europe. Up until then I would say that 75% of the guests at Asterias were young families with the maximum child age being about 4 years old. All of these children were very well behaved but obviously if you don't want to be surrounded by kids then I wouldn't recommend this place for you. We don't have any problems with children of this age but I have to admit it did feel like a creche some mornings at breakfast. On the other hand if you have young children then this hotel is perfect for you and book immediately!

On saturday the older kids started arriving including one family with 4 boys whose intention was clearly to run round the pool (which is quite small) making as much noise as possible while mum and dad drank at the bar. We were glad to be going home. The difference in the marina was staggering as well. It went from being reasonably quiet to absolutely jammed in one day.

We will definitely go again out of season but will probably miss the Gourmet next time.

So who is this hotel for?
Couples looking to relax but don't like kids - No
Couples looking to relax who don't mind kids - Yes, but not in high season
Families - Yes, definitely

• Stayed: May 2007, travelled with family
4  Thank robspot
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sani
Porto Sani
Achtis Hotel
Achtis Hotel
#1 of 8 in Afitos
Pomegranate Wellness Spa Hotel

Been to Sani Asterias? Share your experiences!