“A piece of Paradise.”
Review of Kura Kura Resort

and 1 more site!
Kura Kura Resort
Reviewed 21 May 2012

We travelled to Kura Kura from Semarang via the small 8 seater Cessna Caravan from May 17 to 20th, 2012. From the moment we arrived at the Semarang Airport and were greeted by Ms. Becky and Imam, we were treated like VIP guests. This continued until the very minute we arrived back in Semarang when we were met by Nita. Kura Kura resort is an amazing place. It is truly one of the most beautiful and peaceful places we have ever been. The photos do not do it justice. You have to live the experience of serenity and tranquility. There are lots of daily activities if you like, such as snorkelling, diving, kayaking etc... The resort staff are incredibly welcoming and very accommodating to any requests from the guests. We will definitely come back to Kura Kura. Places like this are "gems" to find. Good luck this tourist season.

Room Tip: We would recommend the Superior Villas right on the water. Villas 1 and 2 are quite close to the mar...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Don D

Reviewed 11 April 2012

I traveled to Kura Kura with my girlfriend during a 2 week trip last summer. We looked at a number of places in Bali where to add a bit of spice to our otherwise "real Indonesia" experience, having trailed from Jakarta to Yogyakarta, and looking for some luxury and comfort. Our overall experience at Kura Kura was VERY IMPROVABLE. I felt I needed to share this experience in a frank and open way so other travelers will know what to expect and not be deceived once it is too late to come back.
1. Logistics: poor. Our arrival date to the island was changed 2 days before and we were not offered the same transport (plane) because it apparently was not available that day, so we had to go by boat.
2. Service: OK. Compared to what we experienced in the rest of Indonesia, this was not significantly better, as one would have expected. The welcome cocktail felt like a Cool Aid rather than a tropical welcome.
3. Island: much worse than its surroundings and not worth paying for! It is probably the worse island in the entire archipelago after the main island where all the people live. There is not an actual beach, but rather a grey and dead pile of coral reef.
4. Food: horrible. My girlfriend got FOOD POISONING the second night of our stay after eating the fish, which was the only item on the menu she could eat as she was allergic to the other option. In addition, you will ONLY have the option of eating red snapper or poor quality indonesian beef each night, unless you want to pay upwards of a couple dozen euros per dish for a decent meal.
5. Water sports: inexistent. They have kayaks which are old and scraped.
6. Island trips: probably the best part of our stay, ALTHOUGH very important to note, on the second day we traveled to an island nearby and we were told we would be picked up at 4pm on arrival. The boat did not come until 6:30pm. It was not our case, but another couple had left their things ont he boat which did not warn us when it left, so they did not have sunscreen and the guy got blisters from the sun! (overall advice, bring tons of sun lotion).
7. Attitude of the owner when faced with non-complacent guests: Absolutely horrible. The man who owns this place is an Italian national. He did not even acknowledge the fact that my girlfriend was sick due to the food she had eaten the night before. I asked for a refund at the end of our stay AND HE GAVE ME €25 FOR THE DRINKS WE HAD CONSUMED DURING OUR STAY AND SAID THIS IS ALL HE COULD DO. I DID NOT TAKE THE MONEY!

Room Tip: The villas are worth it, we stayed in one. The bungalows are NOT!
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
7  Thank selecto25
Reviewed 22 February 2012

My wife and I went to Kura Kura in October '11--and am glad to say that it was a wonderful and memorable stay, totally different from what we usually experienced when we go to Bali (or even the Gilis).

We opted for the mini plane as mode of transportation from Semarang. Cost a bomb, but it was quite worth it, as it only took us 30 minutes to get to the island--instead of the 6 hours it takes if one went on a ferry from Jepara.

Stayed in a superior room, which is also great, cos the view is basically the same as the deluxe ones: ocean all the way, haha. The room itself is clean, spacious, with 100% working aircon that became our saviour when the temperature rises during the day. The bathroom is of the no-nonsense type, with the usual amenities and (yay!) quite a powerful shower. Unlike Gili, there's no water or electricity shortage in Kura Kura, thanks to the water processing facility and gen-set that is stationed on the other side of the island.

Food was great: fresh seafood everyday, cooked Mediterranean style. We only stayed for 4 days, so the lack of variety in the menu didn't really bother us. We were told that the chef was a Central Javanese--but from the taste of it I'd say he really has mastered the art of Mediterranean cooking quite well. Drinks are rather expensive, but not THAT expensive for us to complain about: my wife really enjoyed her (fresh) fruit juices as much as I enjoyed my cold bottles of Bintang.

As for the millieu and things to do... well... the beaches--including that on the surrounding islands--are equal to the best beaches in Bali and Gili Trawangan, but Kura Kura is much, much, much, much, MUCH quieter--and it's all the better for it. We spent our days snorkeling (the resort has a good diving & snorkeling rental facility), lazing on the beach (either in front of our room or on the east side of the island), reading (bring plenty of books), listening to our iPods (not a live band in sight--thank God), eating and drinking (see previous paragraph) and talking to each other (read: no TV in the rooms).

To sum up, Kura Kura is really the place to go for: a) those who are tired with the hustle and bustle of Bali and Gili but still want to experience tropical paradise, and b) those who want to experience seclusion at the fraction of the price of, say, Moyo Island or the Maldives. Go. You won't regret it! :)

Room Tip: Go for a superior room, as it's way cheaper than deluxe but offers the same ocean view.
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 October 2011

We stayed for 5 days, two families, 7 persons all together. Except us, there was only a few honeymooners, so we basically had the "whole island for ourselves". Weather was great, sunsets amazing, and staff friendly. Renato, the dive master, helped me and my two kids to scba diving. The snorkelling just off the pier was outstanding with very nice corals and lots of fish. My frien also observed a sea turtle, so Kura Kura (means turtle in Indonesian) lived up to it's name.

We went to the Robinson Cruse island one day, it was very nice indeed. Another day, we took a excursion to some other small islands nearby and did more snorkelling etc.

Getting there is a bit tricky, as others mentioned, but once you are there, you will not regret it.

This place is quiet and relaxing, there is not much more to do than snorkel in clear and warm water, dive and just enjoy the beatiful landscape and the sea. If you are looking for an action vacation, with loads of tourists, activities and options, better look elsewhere.

Food was good, but not really great. Italian kitchen, but probably could have benefited from some "expat oversight", if you know what I mean. Having said that, we did not have any real bad experiences...

I would highly reccomend this place to those looking for a relaxing piece of paradise...

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
6  Thank Expatfamily77
Reviewed 11 October 2011

OK, I agree, it does take effort to get to but that's the whole point. We were rewarded with the most spectacular honeymoon, no children, no plebs. Only people who really wanted to be there and appreciate the luxury and idilyc surroundings of kura kura.
The island is tiny- you can walk around it in 20 minutes. White sands, 28 degree sea water (in September), palms and total quiet. Not a music beat or neon light to be seen. There are free kayaks and canoes to use to paddle to one of the jetties or around the island t get close to the little patches of mangroves there. There are lovely loungers scattered sporadically under palms and the place is spotless.
Being on honeymoon, we had villa with a pool which was much bigger than the average private pool and definately worth the extra money as we had complete privacy and so much space. The room was huge with mosquito net (hurrah!) and air con. the bathroom was lovely with good powerful shower and all the shampoo/conditioner boxes of stuff that you need if you're travelling light on a plane. We had a fridge, CD system, sofas and dining area outside and wall so high that no one could see over them. Beach towels are provided as is a safe in the room.
The manager is very accessable and all the staff helpful. Majority of the guests were Italian as the island is owned by an Italian. The menu changes every other day and is a mix of continental Italian and Indonesian food and is all very good. Drinks are relatively expensive for Indonesia- roughly the same as UK and they gave us a lovely bottle of wine, coffee and sarong as gift.
there is internet access for free at the front desk- no phone signal there.
I did the CMAS diving course- equivalent to basic PADI and got one to one tuition from the hilarious Renato and assisant Lisa- so kind and patient with me and allowed me to do as many dives as I liked and gave me the photos fom their underwater camera on disc afterwards. It's not as skilled as PADI but was all I needed to avoid brain ache on holiday.
I would happily return to Kura Kura with my husband. It is the only place we've ever been where we've managed to spend complete uninterrupted time together enjoying each other's company without being hassled or pestered by anyone. Big ten out of ten from us!

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Drizzy
Reviewed 9 October 2011

The resort is located in one island on its own. The management has kept the property very well. Very nice view from the room (deluxe room) with direct access to the beach. The food is excellent, service is commandable.

We enjoyed paddling boat and sunbath in the jetty, beautiful snorkeling and feel like you own the island on your own. Paradise.

The negative part is the transportation to get to Karimun Jawa and to Kura-kura resort, it takes real effort to get there.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Mama2010
Reviewed 20 July 2011

To get here, one must take a 3 hour ferry ride to Karimun Jawa then another 45 min ride to kura kura island. For that reason alone, I would not venture to this place again because I felt so sick on the boat. by the way, no seasick bags are given on the boat, so pls bring your own.
However, the island is lovely lovely lovely. It is small enough so you can watch the sunrise at one end, then the sunset at the other end of the island.
Service at the hotel was very good, but everything is a little expensive although I can understand why. But there are a lot of mosquitoes and also flies. You spend a lot of time swatting them away, so meal times is hardly ever peaceful.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with friends