“Disapppointing Food”
Review of The Grange Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Ormesby St. Margaret
The Grange Hotel
Harlow, England, United Kingdom
“Disapppointing Food”
Reviewed 2 October 2013

Greasy spoon cafe in manor house! If you enjoy fried food you will like it here. Young staff very friendly but not pro active! Great for real ale and beer drinkers lovely tap room. Would not go again. The view of the vacuum cleaner next to our table in the restaurant was not a bonus!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Derek S

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Essex U.K.
Reviewed 21 September 2013

We were recommended to try the restaurant attached to The Grange Hotel, This is also a camping and touring park plus hotel with bar and pub. Once inside the restaurant we could not but help notice that it was very dull and needed a freshen up with a lick of paint. Our impression was it was frowsy. Nevertheless the linen on the tables was fresh and clean. My partner ordered scampi chips & peas - which to his delight was very nice. Very big portions. I ordered a meaty lasagne with new potatoes and salad. Presentation was excellent. My lasagne was like entering a "spot the meat" competition. I did not feel this was homemade as suggested by the waitress before I ordered my lunch. She assured me it was, and confirmed it by asking the chef. I showed the Manager my Lasagne and said I did not believe it had been home made, because if it had, then how comes there was hardly any meat in the Lasagne sauce, I told her I believed it was from a jar. To this statement there was no comment. Maybe I picked the wrong meal, but if something is described as "Meaty Lasagne then you expect it to be as described. We decided to finish our meals, and leave. Their card machine did not work, the gents toilet was blocked & overflowing. The ladies toilet never had a lock on the door, and the tissue dispenser was empty. We were very disappointed to say the least. Such a shame when the perception from outside as you approach the Hotel is very pleasing, with pleasant grounds.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Nuneaton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 August 2013

The room was dirty. The cups saucers and spoons were still dirty from the previous occupant. Dust and grime on the surfaces. The smell was rank in the room and the corridor. The windows would not open for ventilation. The staff did not seem to be bothered at all apart from one lady who offered a fan and to give the room a "going over". The room rate was £80 excluding breakfast. My partner and I dicided to leave straight-away and was happier to sleep in the car! We did however, at short notice, find a wonderful hotel on the Yarmouth Sea Front for £90 including breakfast. The Grange Hotel is definitely not recommended. This is a shame as it is ideally situated in a quiet location but close enough to the amenities of Caister, Yarmouth and the surrounding area.

Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Gary R R

Travellers are raving about these Ormesby St. Margaret hotels

Great Yarmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 July 2013

After booking a function with 60 family and friends I found the this to be the ideal place to suit all. Management were totally fantastic after taking time to talk through many options for food and different food likes and dislikes we had a BBQ and a hot and cold buffet suitable for everyone and enjoyed by all. there is a fantastic tap room with 100 of different beers, ales and ciders which kept the men more than happy, a great stocked bar with cocktails for the girls(these were well sampled by myself). Bar staff very friendly especially Jade. The children (aged 1 - 12) were kept entertained with the park, animals, castle, tree house and playing ball games on the large space of grass. Overall lovely traditional family pub will be going back very soon.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Hollesley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 July 2013

As a surprise, I arranged an evening at this restaurant to celebrate our 34th Wedding Anniversary. I emailed ahead (twice) to reserve a table but got no answer. We turned up at 7.00 p.m. anyway on 17th July to be half greeted by a lovely young waitress. As she was greeting us, a woman who I assume was the Maitre D emerged from behind a desk to shoo the waitress away mid sentence telling her to 'get the food orders out, don't chat to customers'. We had a feeling of foreboding at that point. I asked for a menu was told there are '2 or 3 laying around somewhere', nobody knew about a reservation. We then sampled the wonderful beer at the tap room for £2-50 a pint with more than helpful service. Again we asked about a reservation and eventually after some time, the same young waitress from earlier told us that there was a pre reserved table with our name on it in the restaurant!! We then found our table and sat, and sat and sat for ages before the waitress arrived to take our order. More than 1 hour later we had not been served any food, we were given a free bottle of house wine as recompense. Our taxi was booked for 9.30 and at 9.05 we got up from our table and left the premises. No food was ever served. The visit to the toilets was horrendous as both were filthy in the extreme. The plastic covered menu was so sticky I found it difficult to extricate it from my hand. Worst of all, apart from the waitress who was charming, nobody showed any concern. Our evening was ruined massively and it was as if the management did not have a care in the world. We saw the female 'Maitre D' standing out side the front door having a private telephone conversation as we left!! Please do not go here, you will not be treated with any respect unless you are fortunate enough to bump in to the lovely waitress. A total disaster of a place, like Fawlty Towers without the charm.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Tilbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 July 2013

Came across this place by accident, tried to book in once the barmaid pulled herself away from the bar. Staff should be made aware of booking criteria and costs instead of having to keep "phoning someone" to check whether they have rooms, or what the prices are or if the breakfast is included, first impressions folks ! The double room was very big, easily sleeps 4 people, does need a bit of a spruce up though, cobwebs galore, carpets not hoovered, towels not changed, is this the norm for a £60 per room night ? Outside the room as well the windows needed a clean as well as the curtains inside have seen better days. Apart from all this, not a bad sleep, breakfast very good once we persuaded the staff that we had paid for a full english, more organisation needed when they know they have staying guests, maybe the lesson was learnt on the second night. Much more organised the following morning at breakfast, would have second thoughts about using it again, maybe we were there on a bad day for the staff !

Room Tip: Try for one in the main house and not out the back.