“Excellent beer, excellent staff”
Review of The Grange Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Ormesby St. Margaret
The Grange Hotel
Reviewed 13 December 2013

Discovered this place recently, a long time ago I visited and didn't like it, but now it is superb. There is a beer room, with about 30 beers and 20 ciders. There is a beer man who knows what he's talking about and it's so inexpensive. £2.50 a pint. Good atmosphere, well managed, well maintained. Excellent.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Matt R

Reviewed 8 December 2013 via mobile

We had a meal on Saturday as a group, and although most had the turkey, I opted for the scampi, chips & peas. It was superb, piping hot and a propper portion, unlike many other places. Finished with a lush crumble, superb value, and the tap room full of specialist ciders and ales is simply awesome. Ignore my room score, we never used one, but had to put something.

• Stayed: December 2013
Reviewed 18 November 2013

There was a party of 10 of us looking to have an early xmas dinner but most places do not start until early December. Having been to the grange a few times for a Friday night out we asked if we could book our meal there. They were so helpful and agreed to cook a xmas dinner just for us which was delicious, the staff were very friendly and nothing was too much trouble will definitely be going back. Highly recommended

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 1 November 2013

The Grange is part of a holiday camping site complex, that also provides chalet accommodation. I only visited the restaurant.
Upon arrival, the place looked very impressive, and gave the impression that it was a well run professional establishment. However, upon enetering, it soon became evident that it was long past its prime, and in my opinion, in need of some serious refurbishment.
Looking into the dining area, I was greeted by the sight of tables with part-eaten plates of food, and no-one was available at the bar area to place an order for meals.
I guess I should have left at that point, but I always believe that the quality of food can sometimes override the initial image set by a rundown establishment.
Wandering into the bar area, it seemed even worse. There were still no bar staff in sight.
Eventually, in the restaurant area I found someone who took my order for a meal.
Whilst waiting, I glanced around the restaurant and could see that it had potential, and a brightening up would work wonders. It reminded me of an old fashioned tearoom.
When my meal arrived, it was presented well, but the waitress seemed devoid of motivation, and my request for condiments seemed to go unheeded.
My meal, Scampi, was, in fairness, served piping hot with thick chips, and I counted around 28 pieces of scampi, so quantities were generous, and the salad garnish was very substantial too.
Overall, the meal was of average pub standard, well presented, but impressions marred by the general lack of ambience.
It was a great pity, as the place had so much potential.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank mstribli
Reviewed 19 October 2013

we went for a meal at the grange. We ordered starters of soup and a prawn cocktail when they were bought to the table the waitress did not bring starter cutlery or side plates to put roll and butter on my husband ate his soup with a dessert spoon We ordered steaks one a 8 ounce and a 12 ounce both arrived covered in heaps of salad both steaks were identical in size but price was 13.95 for 8 ounce, and 16.95 for 12 ounce I mentioned this to waitress who said if we were not happy she would have a word but she decieded to go home before sorting the matter out so i do not recommend the grange as a eatery poor quality and expensiive and the waitress staff in need of table training .

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank anita m
Reviewed 2 October 2013

Greasy spoon cafe in manor house! If you enjoy fried food you will like it here. Young staff very friendly but not pro active! Great for real ale and beer drinkers lovely tap room. Would not go again. The view of the vacuum cleaner next to our table in the restaurant was not a bonus!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Derek S
Reviewed 21 September 2013

We were recommended to try the restaurant attached to The Grange Hotel, This is also a camping and touring park plus hotel with bar and pub. Once inside the restaurant we could not but help notice that it was very dull and needed a freshen up with a lick of paint. Our impression was it was frowsy. Nevertheless the linen on the tables was fresh and clean. My partner ordered scampi chips & peas - which to his delight was very nice. Very big portions. I ordered a meaty lasagne with new potatoes and salad. Presentation was excellent. My lasagne was like entering a "spot the meat" competition. I did not feel this was homemade as suggested by the waitress before I ordered my lunch. She assured me it was, and confirmed it by asking the chef. I showed the Manager my Lasagne and said I did not believe it had been home made, because if it had, then how comes there was hardly any meat in the Lasagne sauce, I told her I believed it was from a jar. To this statement there was no comment. Maybe I picked the wrong meal, but if something is described as "Meaty Lasagne then you expect it to be as described. We decided to finish our meals, and leave. Their card machine did not work, the gents toilet was blocked & overflowing. The ladies toilet never had a lock on the door, and the tissue dispenser was empty. We were very disappointed to say the least. Such a shame when the perception from outside as you approach the Hotel is very pleasing, with pleasant grounds.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple

Been to The Grange Hotel? Share your experiences!