“Fantastic Hotel on a beautiful island!”
Review of Hermes Hotel

Hermes Hotel
Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Chora
London, United Kingdom
“Fantastic Hotel on a beautiful island!”
Reviewed 30 January 2012

I discovered Ios purely by accident last July while island-hopping in the Cyclades. On arriving at the port I got chatting to Nikos (the friendly owner of Hermes hotel), and decided to spend 4 nights there. The room was very clean and comfortable with an ensuite bathroom. The pool was fantastic! A good size, with amazing views over the sea and a lovely pool bar which served yummy cocktails and food all day and most of the night!! Had some great nights sitting at the bar chatting with Ruth - the English lady who runs the bar, and is only too happy to tell you all about Ios and all the best places to go. The hotel is situated about 10 mins walk to the main village of Chora where you can find lots of bars, restaurants and shops, and 7 mins walk to the main beach which is long, sandy and offers a variety of watersports, as well as various restaurants and tavernas all offering tasty food and beer. There is a regular bus service if you don't want to walk. To be honest I spent most of the day lying on my comfy sunbed by the pool at Hermes hotel. All the staff were so friendly and I would recommend this hotel to anyone. When I was there, the other guests were a mixture of families, couples and groups of friends. Various nationalities - English, Scottish, Norwegian, Italian, even some Aussies. I'm hoping to go back to Ios for a week this August, and if I do, I will definately stay at Hermes Hotel again. Thank you for a wonderful holiday Niko, Ruth and all at Hermes!

Room Tip: Try and get a room with a sea view - wonderful view of the sea from my room!
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank Alice535

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
  • Greek first
Limerick, Ireland
Reviewed 15 January 2012

Very reasonably priced accommodation. Clean room. Good bathroom facilities. Free wifi. Good A/C. Such a good location as it is only a 6/7 minute walk from the town and a 10 minute walk to Mylopotas beach. There is no noise at night so you can sleep well and not be bothered by the music from the clubs and bars in the town. Fantastic views.
What makes this place special is Ruth the manager of the pool bar. She is amazing and you almost feel like you are staying with family when she greets you in the mornings. The food she does in the pool bar is exactly what you want on a hot summers day and the enormous salads make my mouth water just thinking about them! The breakfasts she does are famous on the island and often help with the inevitable hangover!
The hotel owner Nick is great fun and is always around. He does a really fun pub crawl and if you have any problems he seems to know everybody on the island and is always willing to help.
Having travelled all around this small island I can tell you that you will not get better views than from the pool in Hermes. Breathtaking.
They do a weekly BBQ night which is great fun and Ruths homemade salads again will steal the show. They are always busy and we met people there who we ended up going out with that night.
The girls who work in the bar are great and gave us great recommendations of where to go on nights out.
Couldnt recommend this place enough.

Room Tip: Tell Nick what you want and if can give it to you he will. Rooms with a view might be slightly more...
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ADlim
Queenstown, New Zealand
Reviewed 13 September 2011

I arrived on Ios after a long trip via Athens from Stockholm so was a bit fried and it was hot and I had no accommodation booked, had not looked at a map and really had no idea what I was going to do. There was this large friendly fellow standing round with the masses of backpackers and hotel owners negotiating rooms and transport. I stood off to the side and thought I'd let the carnage die down. Once the hustle and bustle abated Nick came over and asked If I was ok or needed a ride anywhere. He was holding a brochure so I asked if he had any rooms at his pad and when he heard my accent he picked me as New Zealander and took me excitedly back to his van to show me his All Blacks scarf on his dash board. From there is was smooth sailing. Rodney So'oialo was his favorite player so I got room 8 which had a great view over the ocean and the pool. I met loads of entertaining characters mainly Aussie at Hermes, enjoyed a night of Watching the All Blacks Haka and Clips of Jonah Lomu running over Englishmen at the Rooftop bar and Nick was always happy to drop me off at my next accommodation or pick me up to come back again. It was great value for money, positioned perfectly between town and the main beach which makes it ideal for short walks and clearing hangovers. Rooms were tidy and had everything you needed without being decadent. The roof top bar and cafe was a little gem, Ruth at the pool ran a tidy operation out of the pool side bar with great food and a free beer every 3 or 4 you bought. Rhys runs a mean pub crawl from outside at midnight and knows everyone on the Island it seems so if your traveling alone and want a good night out and to meet some people hit him up. Even better get Nick excited about a night out and he can really activate. The big man runs wild and the drinks flow. He knows all the best spots. All in all one of the best accommodation experiences I've ever had 5+

Room Tip: Room 8 is great
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank Mark W
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 July 2011

Good hotel well situated between village& beach,Great service by Ruth and her team at the pool bar,
The owner Nick only seemed to appear when picking up or dropping off so all the PR is done by Ruth at the Pool Bar.
Rooms basic but very clean would highly reccomend.
Service& restaurant ratings refers to Pool bar only

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank lisinopril
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 15 April 2011

I visited this hotel in April with a friend. The hotel itself is super - the rooms were large and clean and had a lovely balcony with a sea view. The downside was the service. We were one of the only guests in the hotel as it was off-season and we just did not feel welcome. The owners were unable to provide us with info of the island or a suggestion of things to do (no map, etc. was provided). The wifi did not work and they were not willing to help us in any way which was incredibly frustrating. They told us where to go in town and when we came back disappointed that nothing was open (as it was off season) they did not tell us that town was actually on the hill not the main drag! SO unhelpful. We changed our reservation and left early (to see another island) and had a slight disput over the price as they were not honoring the deposit we had already paid (even though we gave them notice!). This hotel is lovely but they definitely need to improve their customer service!

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank allie_macrae
Gibraltar
Reviewed 11 June 2010

out of this world at such a great price !!
thank you hotel hermes for a lovely time spent at your hotel was amazing ,i highly recomend this hotel to anyone great view ,nice rooms couldnt fault a thing ,
ruth the lady at the pool bar was so helpful and we will certainly return again

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with family
2 Thank gem90gem
Kauai
Reviewed 21 October 2009

My husband and I have been visiting Ios since 2002 and have stayed at Hotel Hermes all 5 years we have visited the island. Over the years they have renovated the rooms and have recently added a lounge/bar/restaurant where people can gather to watch football and have a few drinks and food. The views from the hotel are amazing and everyone I have talked to who has stayed there loves the hotel. I read someone else's comment about being treated like "cattle" and don't understand what they are talking about. We are always welcomed by Mama when we arrive and by Nikos at the port and they treat us as well as everyone like family. Their location is great because you are half way between town and the beach so you can walk anywhere pretty much which is perfect after a night of partying. I definately recommend this hotel.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
3 Thank The_Hawaiians_Kauai
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chora
Lofos Village Hotel
#3 of 10 in Milopotas
Homer's Inn Hotel
Homer's Inn Hotel
#14 of 42 in Ios

Been to Hermes Hotel? Share your experiences!