“PArt of the reason we keep coming back to Ios”
Review of Hermes Hotel

Hermes Hotel
Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Chora
Kauai
“PArt of the reason we keep coming back to Ios”
Reviewed 21 October 2009

My husband and I have been visiting Ios since 2002 and have stayed at Hotel Hermes all 5 years we have visited the island. Over the years they have renovated the rooms and have recently added a lounge/bar/restaurant where people can gather to watch football and have a few drinks and food. The views from the hotel are amazing and everyone I have talked to who has stayed there loves the hotel. I read someone else's comment about being treated like "cattle" and don't understand what they are talking about. We are always welcomed by Mama when we arrive and by Nikos at the port and they treat us as well as everyone like family. Their location is great because you are half way between town and the beach so you can walk anywhere pretty much which is perfect after a night of partying. I definately recommend this hotel.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
3 Thank The_Hawaiians_Kauai

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
  • Greek first
london
Reviewed 14 September 2008

My husband and I went to ios on a whim. When we arrived we where approached by nick the greek. Very nice host and enticed us to stay at his family run hotel. I'm glad he did, because the hotel is very nice and ideally situated between the beach and the town on a cliff overlooking the sea.

• Stayed September 2008
    • Check-in / front desk
London
Reviewed 25 July 2006

Please please please anybody thinking of staying at this hotel..... DONT! My experiences & those of just about everybody else staying there at the same time were a mixture of despair & anger.

If your aspirations of holiday accommodation are to be treated like cattle, stay in sub standard (18-30 looks like Dubai in comparison!) rooms, & generally be treated with contempt by "Nick" then i wish you bon vacance....

NO hot water for 3 days! when we complained we were sworn at & told to try turning the taps on! (obviously something we hadn't thought of!!!)

We made friends with 4 girls from Ireland whose room was actually below the pool... their water was coming through the ceiling to the point where it was raining down on them in the night. When the famously hospitable Nick was asked to rectify the problem, he again excelled himself with the response that they should move the bed so they didnt get wet.
This in itself was a canny idea if it were not for the fact that the 4 beds he had sardined into the maximum 2 bed room were so tightly packed together you could not walk between them, let alone attempt to move them! This is not hearsay, but true. My room was like a prison cell with only 1 window & bars across it when i had phoned on numerous occassions previous to my arrival to request one of the rooms recommended by other reviewers. With hindsight i am now extremely suspicious of the origination of these reviews & would urge any readers to treat with caution.

Of the evening lifts to town offered to myself & my travelling companions we received none. Very disappointing. The cafe/restaurant just to the left (name slips my mind) did a far better/cheaper breakfast in better surroundings. But better value is to be found just about everywhere else on the island, the "far out village" 6 Euro steak & chips are a must!

The only plus was the swimming pool, which has a good vista.

Hopefully this might stop others befalling the same fate as myself.

• Liked — the pool
  • Disliked — Everything about it left a sour taste in teh mouth.
  • Stayed July 2006, travelled with friends
    • Check-in / front desk
7 Thank FlossyMurphy
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 28 June 2006

REAL greek hospitality hotel hermes ios
nik the greek the owner is fantastic if staying here your gonna have a ball
A1 ++++++++++++++++
my fav places on ios
best bar = flames and astra
best restaurants= old byrons ios and harmony ios

• Stayed June 2006
1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
London, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed 6 June 2006

I originally had intended on spending only one night in Ios but after having spent only 20 minutes there I had already started to make plans to stay longer. Nic came down to the ferries to pick up me and my three friends up and was by far the nicest host we met over our 3 months travelling. He drank with us everynight making us his famous flaming lamborghini shot and driving us and everyone else at the hotel into the bar in the evening (its only a ten minute walk though so you can walk easily as well). After our first night the first thing we did was go change our ferry tickets and we ended up spending 6 nights at Hermes in Ios. We loved everything about Ios, the beaches, Hermes and Nic and the nightlife...ohh and the mexican restaurant overlooking the beach. I highly recommend this place...the prices were fantastic for budget travellers and a great hotel to meet people at and to party.

• Stayed June 2005
2 Thank Canuck_girl82
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 8 September 2005

This small family run hotel has a wonderful pool overlooking the Aegean Sea. It is walking distance to town for the nightlife of Ios and walking distance to the main beach where everyone recovers during the day. The rooms are wonderful we had a great balcony (Room 10) and the rooms are kept spotless. The family, including Mom, is on site and their hospitality is wonderful. Mom cooks a good breakfast too! Really a fabulous find! I highly recommend it.

6 Thank MMG1
Vancouver Island, Canada
Reviewed 12 June 2005

This hotel was beautiful! It is located half way between the town of Hora and Mylopotas Beach. A perfect spot to walk down to the beach or walk to the town. Or if walking isn't your thing the bus service stops right in front of the hotel on the main road.
One of the owners, Nick is great, and really made our stay fun. Our room was a double room and was clean and very comfortable. The room's balcony looked out over the cliff to the ocean. A wonderful view of the sun rise from the balcony and from the pool is a spectacular view of sunset! There is internet access at the hotel and there is a restaurant too. The room does have a fridge so I would recommend going to a market to get easy food to eat instead.
Mylopotas Beach is beautiful! The Far Out Camping has free loungers and umbrellas for your use, and has wait staff coming around to bring you drinks too. Lots of people on the beach so be ready for that attmosphere. Plus the night life here is crazy! I had a ton of fun at The Flames Bar! But if you at all clusterphobic, these bars are not for you, they are tiny and get absoluteley packed! When I was trying to leaves at 2am I could hardly get the door open it was so full. But non the less up until then it was a blast and the music was great to dance to! Try their flame drink, only 4euro for a drink made up of 4 shots which were lit on fire and then after you drink it thru a straw, you get a beer.
Ios is a great island but it really didn't feel like Greece, honestly it felt like Austarlia, there were so many woking there. So we only stayed there 2 days and partied the one night. Worth the stop, to the island , but a short stop. That is unless you are wanting a constant party every day and night!

6 Thank robinelisse
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chora
Lofos Village Hotel
#3 of 10 in Milopotas
Homer's Inn Hotel
Homer's Inn Hotel
#14 of 42 in Ios

Been to Hermes Hotel? Share your experiences!