“This is a 'Fabulous Hotel' - well worth a visit!”

La Residence Mykonos Hotel Suites
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Kalafatis
Reviewed 20 August 2014

From the minute you get to La Residence and are greeted with friendly welcoming faces, a glass of cold champagne and delicious canapes to the minute you go with the lovely gift given to you by the hotel this was a wonderful experience not to be missed. Our room, the communal spaces, views, the staff and fantastic food all made it such a wonderful holiday - both of us wouldn't hesitate to go back to there. Special mention to the fabulous Christos (sorry this is a late review Christos!) who was just divine!! Every good hotel should have a Christos; quirky, polite with a devlish sense of humour and a love of dancing in Mykonos clubs, he was the restaurant supervisor and despite some late nights was there every day to make your day. Mention must also be made to the other restaurant staff who were quietly attentive and efficient and never failed to impress us.

Special thanks to Elenis the hotel manager who really helped me out despite being mega busy, by letting me use her desktop computer when I had password problems and couldn't use my ipad.

This hotel is small but packed full of really good things not least the superb food which was probably some of the best we have ever tasted in any hotel we've stayed in. The quality, variety, presentation and taste made every breakfast and evening meal a pleasure to go to. I still so miss the greek yoghurst and the spinach and feta pie served at breakfast Chef! The iced tea served every day mid morning if you're around is a very nice treat too.

Set just off a quiet lane with nice views, very chic communal areas and a lovely ambience, the hotel is brilliantly located for local walking and also to catch a bus (just at the end of the lane a 2 min walk from the hotel) into Mykonos, a short scenic journey which takes you into the centre of town. Mykonos is quaint and pretty with lots of indivdual shops and restaurants. Lots of cobbled lanes and alleyways make this a different experience every time you go. They call it little Venice and they're not wrong, it has that feel.

A couple of minor negatives if you wanted to be really picky. The lunchtime offer of food is limited and quite expensive. As there are only a couple of tavernas in the area (both very good), they may benefit more from a lighter bite menu at a reasonable cost, that way more people we felt might be encouraged to eat in rather than go out. The drinks in the hotel are expensive though the offer of free water, tea and coffee is much appreciated. There is a small mini market approx a 5 min walk from the hotel which sells wine, gin, tonic and beers bought for a fraction of the price in the hotel and we enjoyed pre dinner drinks on our large balcony every night before dinner. We did however have a couple of bottles of wine with dinner during our stay but made them last!

If full I think that more sunbeds would be required as despite some ground floor rooms having their own sunbeds, if they are in the shade, people tended to come into the main pool area where space and sunbeds were limited. That said there are some lovely beaches with sunbeds (the nearest having free sunbeds) very close by and make for a nice change of scenery.

A little tip - especially for you Christos - don't play basketball in the afternoon because the staff quarters are underneath the court and they get much needed sleep disturbed!! Sorry!

I couldn't recommened this hotel highly enough it was a dream from start to finish.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank shasld
There are newer reviews for La Residence Mykonos Hotel Suites

Reviewed 19 August 2014

This was our first time in Mykonos and we got lucky when we chose La Residence.

I went with my daughter, so we weren't looking for a clubbing holiday – just a beach, pool, food weekend.

The hotel is at the other end of the island from the main Mykonos town (but still only 20 minutes away), just above Kalafatis Beach. It's a lovely, quiet spot with a great view of the sea -- but not so close that you're in the beach bustle.

First impression: the hotel is elegant and immaculately clean. Two beautiful pools surrounded by lounge chairs. One has rooms that open right out on to it. The other is the main communal pool. Then there appear to be two or three private suites with their own smaller pools. Not sure.

The welcome was warm and friendly. Demetriana greeted us with two flutes of champagne and beautiful canapés. We realized that we'd need to rent a car (having originally thought we might be able to use taxis) and she arranged for one to be delivered straight away.

Both she and the other receptionist/concierge Ianni (forgive my spellings) were really helpful, guiding us to the right spots, booking restaurant tables and making sure we were happy. They made us feel like guests – something most hotels seem to have forgotten.

The room was comfortable with a fantastic view across a kind of rocky field (not so nice but with ponies and goats), then a road (not too busy) and the beach and water beyond. We had a balcony that got lots of sun and hovered over one of the pools.

The air conditioning was powerful so we always came back to a cool, comfy room. Nice shower, small fridge, and a new bottle of spring water every day. The housekeeping department is excellent and super-hardworking. Our room was made up every time we left.

The area is wonderful. The beach has an organised end, with rental lounge chairs and umbrellas, and an unorganised end, where local hang out on the beach. There's a beach restaurant down at the far end -- we only had a drink there.

Over the bay is a family-run fish place (Markos?) that I loved. Not fancy but wonderful cheese pies, fried squid and and fresh, grilled fish. And another beach club is right around the corner, with more of a club vibe.

We were there in high-high-high-season (mid August) so most beaches were pretty crowded. If you think of each one as a fantastic club on the water rather than an overcrowded beach, you'll have a great time.

Even in high season, the hotel itself never felt crowded. There must be around fifteen rooms and we never found the pool areas crowded or uncomfortable.

The breakfast buffet is delightful. Greek yogurt with honey and toppings; cakes and breads; eggs or omelettes; fresh melon; the works. It's open till noon so you can lie in, roll on down and dig in.

We did mornings by the pool, then a trip to a beach for lunch and back for a pre-dinner pool session. That worked really well.

You're never further than 20-25 minutes form any beach on the island, so if you want a quiet, relaxed, sun-drenched holiday, this is a great choice.

The friendly, welcoming staff put it over the top: we'll be back.

Room Tip: I liked a room one floor up -- but the ground floor poolside rooms let you walk out and dive in. I...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 3 August 2014

Arrived at this beautiful hotel at night to be greeted by champagne and canopes - the reception's ambiance was lovely, and it overlooks the dining area and communal pool. Breathtaking at night, and we knew instantly we had picked the right hotel!

Our room (106) was a pool room shared with 3 other ground floor rooms - we were lucky during our stay as the other guests did not use the pool, and so we were able to enjoy it all to ourselves. Luxurious sun loungers and a comfortable room - we didn't want to move! Big shower, tv (although no English channels) but who wants to stay in in July with such beautiful surroundings! Room service was good - try the club sandwich or the Greek salad - probably our best meals during our stay! Ample storage, in my view.

The hotel is a five minute walk to Kalafatis beach, past some land with donkeys and goats on, plenty of space and lovely calm swimming area - fun to watch the surfing and chill out - despite the pebbles (take swim shoes!). There is a bar called Aquarius on the opposite side of the road if you wish to escape the food for some friendly chat and some food/drinks.

There is a small supermarket and 4 other restaurants nearby, but none which we would have revisited more than once though.

Breakfast is served at the hotel until midday - most people get up late and enjoy the late evenings due to the good weather. Always very quiet around 10am, and you have a simple buffet to choose from (fruit, yoghurt, quiche, pancakes, small rolls....) - and you can also have a choice of eggs from the a la carte menu.

Difficult to get taxis in Mykonos - but the bus runs along the bottom of the road and for 3 euros it takes you to Chora, the town about 25 mins away. We caught the bus back early though as the queue for taxis was too lengthy... but definitely worth the visit.

Didn't use the small spa - only to shower and change on our departure date, but looked ok.

What made our holiday? The hotel - and Christos - thank you for making us feel so welcome. He makes this hotel. Very friendly and helpful. Also the pretty girl on reception with dark hair (sorry can't recall your name!) - always smiling and helpful.

Would we return? In a heartbeat, yes!!! Highly recommend this place - so much better than staying in the centre of the bustle of Mykonos, unless that's what you like. We miss it already .... even though we only had 5 days, it was so relaxing and peaceful, that we really unwound, and felt like we had been there for well over a week. Although used to 4 start hotels, you feel special staying here.

Happy to answer any questions - but you won't (or shouldn't be!) disappointed with a stay here. Worth the money in our view.

Room Tip: Choose a pool room - upstairs rooms use the communal pool...
4  Thank Numnuts_Holidays
Reviewed 21 July 2014

Really enjoyed my stay at la residence. Amazing food, friendly staff, great quiet location. Would highly recommend this hotel to anyone! I am very surprised this hotel as had any bad reviews at all! It was extremely clean and modern, the rooms were fantastic, great pool, great beds. Everything was top notch!

1  Thank Andy B
Reviewed 16 July 2014

I had been reading with interest the reviews of this hotel prior to my visit, and was rather worried about several reviews in the days before leaving that were really quite damming. Having now visited I can offer an honest and unbiased viewpoint.

Is this hotel worth of its 5 star rating? Without knowing how this is awarded, and also knowing there is no global rating, this is hard to answer. However, I can state this is a wonderfully comfortable hotel, with attractive furnishings, comfortable beds, clean surroundings, wonderful staff and AMAZING food.

I had looked via google earth at the situation of this hotel, so knew exactly what to expect. Its not set in "scrubland", it is set back from the main road by a field which contains horses and goats, and no, the field is not full of lush grass (this is Greece!) but the animals are fed regularly by the farmer as I have seen myself. The goats in fact, were highly entertaining of an evening.

The sea is the other side of the main road and has a beautiful beach full of watersports, if that's your kind of thing.

I had reserved a shared pool room on a half board basis. The area was lovely, having been given one with the wooden fretwork modesty panels, and not the brick walls at the other end of the hotel. A lovely decking area and sun all morning. If you needed more sun you would have to go to the main pool area in the afternoon, but there was always sunbeds available. The room was immaculate, towels changed so regularly you only used them once, and very fluffy and soft. An okay shower and modern bathroom.

Staff were very friendly, Christos has to have a mention, he was very kind to me and always shared a conversation during the day. The other worth a mention is the little French girl (whose name I did not take!!) only been there a short while but she was delightful and chatty and helpful. Both these people are an asset to this business.

The chef has an amazing passion for his work. The food is incredible. There was no sign of a fixed menu (maybe in high season that changes?) the choices for all courses are plentiful. You can add or amend little details, but why? You will be presented with a culinary feast. I also had the pleasure of meeting him and he also, is a very lovely person. Anyone complaining about the quality of the food from this hotel has a seriously bad attitude!

I caught the bus into Chora, which leaves from the dusty car park just before the Aphrodite hotel 5 times a day. Less than 2 euro each way.

Minor details: The swathes of fabric that adorn the pillars in the outside dining area are full of holes and tears at the bottom, doesn't look good! Did it impair my holiday? No.
No drawers in the rooms and a full length mirror would be nice for the ladies. Again, it didn't ruin my holiday.
Take mosquito repellent, you will need it! I did get bitten the first night.
Pray you don't get noisy neighbours (I did, 3 young females who really didn't respect the tranquillity of the other guests), that DID impact on my holiday, but you just have to suck it up!

Overall, a lovely hotel, you can do as little or as much as you wish.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
4  Thank Fordink
Reviewed 9 July 2014

For my husband and I (both in our early 50’s and well travelled) this was our second time to Mykonos but the first time to this hotel on an 'Inspired Escapes' half board deal. Our Easy Jet flight took off on time (outbound and inbound) and we arrived to our destination airport with only a few minutes to wait until we were greeted by a driver to take us to or hotel. After approximately a 25 minute drive (drop off's at other hotels always worry me as I always hope our hotel will be the best!) we were delivered to the hotel reception and a nice cold glass of Prosecco and canapés - nice touch. We were greeted by a very pretty reception lady, who instantly tried to sell us tours before we had even checked into our room (we prefer to do our own thing, so promptly cut her short- sorry!). This boutique hotel with a simple white and beige colour scheme with splashes of vibrant golden orange, throughout – was very tastefully decorated. There was a great mixture of 'Cafe del Mar' type music playing at all times, so it was very relaxing; no blaring TV’s or noisy ‘bar areas’. The view from our hotel overlooked a field full of rubble, some hungry horses and goats (that made me so sad so we took them fresh apples from the breakfast buffet daily), then the sea and some picturesque rocks and a fish Taverna in the nearby village, however in the distance was the sea and we had the most amazing sun-rise.

Room number 408 overlooked the sea and we had a reasonably sized balcony; we had loads of space, plentiful supply of toiletries, coat hangers, clean white fluffy towels, robes, slippers and crisp white bed linen. I never use hotel room supplied tea and coffee, but if you are expecting a kettle with complimentary tea and coffee forget it but you do get two large complimentary bottles of water each day.

This hotel has five stars, I'd be inclined to say it should have 4 simply because it lacks a certain 'je ne sais quoi'....we never had to queue for the sun beds, (dear management the covers really needed a wash!) there were plentiful pool towels and parasols and it really was very relaxing and only a five minute walk to the nearest beach. The staff it has to be said were very friendly, especially Christos who really was an asset and made us laugh with his anecdotes every day. Nothing was too much of a problem, (even if I am a fussy eater and often asked to change the menu around!) he always responded with “Yes of course, no problem”. Emily during breakfast was lovely too, even if her English was limited (I got poached eggs instead of boiled :-)); mind you I don't speak Greek either!

Our half board food was very good with very generous portions. Dinner was served until 11pm, breakfast served 'til midday was also plentiful, loads of pastries, fresh fruit, lovely Greek yoghurt and eggs to order. In all honesty thought the wine was overpriced for what it was and it was never cold enough for us. On our daily walks out of the hotel we found a nearby bar where we went for 'Happy Hour' two cocktails for 9 Euro's - think our hotel misses a trick here...

In summary really liked the staff, Christos especially, the wonderful relaxed atmosphere away from busy Mykonos town and the other buzzing beaches - if you want 'action' take a quad bike and travel out, the island is not that big.
A thoroughly enjoyable relaxing break, thank you to all the staff.

4  Thank AlisonThomson
Reviewed 8 July 2014

Absolutely amazing hotel to just chill out……and that’s exactly what we did!

Perfect hideway to unobtrusively relax and take it easy!

Superb from start to finish... excellent welcome on arrival with a chilled glass of sparkling wine and delicious high quality canapes. The food was first class.... freshly squeezed orange juice was the first great impression at breakfast, along with quality espressos and cappucinos (coffee is excellent!)... all kinds of delightful breakfast treats available every morning together with an a la carte selection menu. And the very best thing about breakfast was it was served until 12 noon! .... why don't other top quality hotels offer this instead of forcing relaxing guests to dash for a 10am breakfast close!.... the breakfast was really like a brunch style with the amount of choice... and high quality.

We chose half board having read the reviews relating to the food at the hotel on Trip Advisor.... a wise choice. Dinner was excellent every night.... no buffet dinners either! High quality A La Carte menu included and we were lucky enough to dine outside every night on the terrace..... the Residence is even more stunning at night when it is all lit up!

We chose the suite with a private jacuzzi hot tub and fantastic view across to the sea. The rooms sharing a pool between two and three rooms were excellent as well .... superb for stepping outside of your room straight into a private pool.... a pool you can swim in too... not just a plunge pool! .... as you cannot swim really early or late in the main pool, this would be a great advantage having these style of rooms to be able to have a "midnight swim" which is the only thing I missed at The residence .

The bathrooms in all the rooms are high quality with large showers... no baths though ... unless you include the private hot tub on our balcony!

The hotel is exceptionally clean; the pools have beautiful crystal clear waters and the surrounding areas are immaculate –There are plenty of high quality loungers by the pool and beautifully spaced to maintain the exclusive privacy feeling very much akin to being in your own private villa.. no need to do the 6am German towel run!!

The Residence is in the quiet part of mykonos and wouldn't be good if you want to party party every night.... you need to be closer to the town if you are looking for the night life.... that said Mykonos is only about 20 minutes away.... you may need a car though as there are only 31 taxis on the island, and most of them seem to prefer to stay around Mykonos town!!

The staff at the hotel were excellent - nothing was too much trouble for them. By the end of the week, we felt almost part of their family! We mixed with many of the other guests who were all like minded travellers, we met some great new friends who live in Athens and we hope to meet up with them again very soon!

The hotel isn't really suitable for children... there isnt much for them to do! ....And screaming bombing activities in the pool seemed to be frowned upon .... thank goodness!!

The staff really go the extra mile to make your stay a wonderful memorable experience!

We loved it! And have recommended it tonight to friends who are going in September!

Thank you to everyone for making our stay so fantastic at The Residence.

Suggestions to make The Residence even better ......

Improve the lighting in the lounge area in the evening .... less lamps, softer dimmer lighting to make the area attractive and cosy for pre and apres dinner drinks ...

Allow midnight swims in the pool - with only 20 suites at The Residence, and very well behaved guests, this would be a real plus!

Consider other wines in the restaurant apart from Greek wines, and look at the prices of the drinks in the bar to encourage guests to stay longer in the bar before and after dinner.... they are just a little bit too dear even by 5 star hotel standards.

And... those are the only tiny improvements i can think of.... as probably one of the fussiest hardest to please guests The Residence could have seen..... they absolutely excelled and over-met all my high, sometimes "demanding" standards ... thank you again to everyone!

Room Tip: Private hot tub rooms if the budget allows.... definitely take a shared ground floor pool room as a...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Diane R
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kalafatis
Myconian Villa Collection
#3 of 9 in Agios Stefanos
Nissaki Boutique Hotel
Nissaki Boutique Hotel
#2 of 26 in Platys Gialos

Been to La Residence Mykonos Hotel Suites? Share your experiences!