“Secluded, beautiful location”

Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Rio San Juan
Ontario, Canada
“Secluded, beautiful location”
Reviewed 22 February 2013

We have been to the Gran Bahia Principe Tulum in Mexico, had a great time so we figured we couldn't go wrong with another Bahia. I would say average might describe this resort best. I wasn't disappointed with anything, but I also wasn't "wowed" with anything. The beach was beautiful, however there were no fish to see snorkelling. The main pool was fun with lots of music and action going on. The staff had a lot of people in training, they did their jobs well but did have a problem with english. Eddy in the buffet was our favourite, we made sure to sit in his area every breakfast and lunch-we even went for lunch when we weren't hungry! The staff at the lobby washroom were excellent-one attendant even put air fresheners in under the sink! We took one excursion: Brianda Jeep Safari. It was a very educational day, great to learn about the area. I would suggest bringing school supplies and candy to give to the country kids. You can buy some along the way, but I would have liked to have had something different for them since they only have a very small selection being bought by other tourists as well.

Room Tip: The villas are all only 2 stories, we had no problem on the main level except the night new neighbou...
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
, Quality & Customer Service department at Grand Bahia Principe San Juan, responded to this review, 23 February 2013
Dear Client,

Receive cordial greetings from Bahia Principe San Juan, especially from our Quality & Customer Service Department.

We greatly appreciate that you have chosen our Resorts as your holiday destination.

We are satisfied to hear that you had an excellent stay in our hotel facilities and premises especially because of the friendliness of our staff members. Please be assured that it is an honour and a great compliment for us to forward such wonderful comments to all our staff.

We regret so much that we could not meet your expectations with the beach. However, once again, thank you so much for your observations and we sincerely wish to welcome you soon to our Hotel Bahia Principe San Juan. We will be at your disposal for whatever you may need, please do not hesitate to contact us whenever you are planning to return.

Best regards,

Jefe Calidad & Customer Service Bahía Príncipe San Juan

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (569)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 21 February 2013

We initally booked for the Bahia Principe Bavaro in Punta Cana, but with winter storm Nemo, our flights were canceled and we had to cancel the trip (luckily we had the Insurance) and start over and book another trip ..So we found this one in Rio San Juan. This trip took us 3 flights to get too and we were not pleased.
The service was good, but the food was terrible. We payed extra for a room upgrade, which was no UPGRADE.. I believe all the rooms are the same. The only good thing about the room, was the ocean view. They gave us two keys, which we thought were for the room and the safe. Come to find out, you had to pay for the safe and the extra key was for the AC. There was no hot water, and the fridge was broken. In the fridge included: 1 water, 2 sodas and 1 beer. (Dont you pay double occupancy?) unless you dont mind sharing a beer.
We have traveled many times to the Carribean and by far, this was the worst.
If we realized that the resort was this old, and needed much maintenance, we wouldnt of booked it. My husband and I arent complainers by any means, and our trip wasnt cheap, and after the first night, I called out travel agent and asked to be transferred to another resort.

Room Tip: there isnt any tips. The rooms are all the same. With the exception of ocean views or garden views
4 Thank moek282
, Quality & Customer Service deparment at Grand Bahia Principe San Juan, responded to this review, 23 February 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for sharing your comments on our Tripadvisor community regarding your experience in our hotel. In Bahía Príncipe San Juan, we put a greatest interest on our client’s opinions, both positive and negative.

Please allow us to clarify that all our rooms are the same size as we do not have rooms bigger than others in our hotel but the different from a Club room to a standard room are the extra services that this club provides to all their clients.

We regret so much that you did not enjoy your holidays as you were expecting and the fact that we did not meet your expectations regarding our facilities & services. I am very sorry that you checked out the date after your arrival without giving us an opportunity assist you and offer you a follow up of your case. We can assure you that the situation that you explained it is not similar of our overall service. Please be aware that your comments have been taken into great consideration and have been forwarded to the Hotel Management as well as the management of all our affected departments.

We are glad to find out that there were some aspects that you find worth to mention; especially the service provided by the staff the buffet.

We sincerely hope that regardless of your experience you can give us another opportunity to welcome you in our hotel Bahía Príncipe San Juan to experience the hospitality of our people, the quality of our services & facilities and change any misperception that you may have about us.

Best wishes,

Helsinki, Finland
Reviewed 19 February 2013

This was my first beach holiday ever so I had very little expectations. Still I was surprised to see how friendly and helpful the staff was and always had a smile on their faces. I can be quite a picky eater but there was so much to choose from in the buffet that I always got my stomach full. Fresh fruit were particularly nice. We tried all the restaurants at the hotel and the only one worth mentioning is the Mediterranean restaurant where the Pepper Steak was sooo delicious. They didn't seem to be too familiar with well done/medium/medium-rare/rare but I think that is partly because of the language barrier. The only thing that I found a bit disappointing was the lack of language skills. When you tried to ask something in english the staff just usually looked confused and replied something totally beside the point. I think you will be much better off if you can speak some spanish, which we didn't. All the beverages were also good, you should try the Dominican specialty, mamajuana. They used loads of alcohol to mix the drinks (no measuring cups here!) so every drink was different and some were stronger than others. The main pool area was very nice but when the animation team started their shows it got super loud but there were a couple of other pools as well which I think might have been more quiet. The beach was pretty and the sand was great for making sand castles. We didn't care about the big black bumps in the water that are there to prevent erosion. They made no difference to us. They are just an aesthetic disturbance, hardly even that. At some point in the late afternoon there are some kind of nasty biters on the beach, sand fleas, sand flies or both. We didn't realize this until we noticed all the bites that covered our legs. They got really itchy and annoying so I suggest using some kind of bug spray or lotion before going to the beach early mornings or evenings. You can also explore the villages/towns outside the resort. Just walk to the main gate and take a bus going between San Juan and Puerto Plata and you can go to Cabarete or Sosua for example. Cabarete has a great beach and excellent food so I recommend that. The trip costs about a 100 pesos one way. Coming back you will most probably have to change into a car transport in Gaspar Hernandez but the bus driver usually gives directions. There are also trips you can take that start at the hotel. The scuba shack has a brochure of all the trips they offer. We took a trip to Samana where we went whale watching and got to spend some time on a beautiful white sand beach on Cayo Levantado (Bacardi island). The trip included also snorkling above a shipwreck which was awesome! At the hotel you can also play ping pong, tennis, minigolf, basketball, football, beach-volley, pool-volley, do water aerobics with the animation team, go kayaking or jet skiing etc. so it doesn't get boring. Trust me, just walking through the pool area with a football will get you all the friends you need to play if you don't have enough people to get a game on.

All and all I was very satisfied with the hotel and it offered exactly what I needed, which was relaxation and the biggest decision I needed to make was if I wanted to read by the pool or on the beach. So I would recommend this place if that's what you are after. Just remember to put on sun lotion (SPF 50 in the beginning if you are really white like we were) because we got sunburns and from the looks of it so did most of the people there.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank mojo_moulin
, Quality & Customer Service department at Grand Bahia Principe San Juan, responded to this review, 20 February 2013
Dear Guest,

We would like to express our gratitude for having taken time to express your impressions of your past stays with us. In our effort to continuously improve the quality of our service and facilities, we put our greatest interests and value in our guest’s opinion.

We are very proud to receive comments and opinions such as yours informing us that we have exceeded your expectations regarding the hotel premises. This definitely strengthens our philosophy of seeking the highest level of service excellence, thanks to an arduous team work and the devotion and commitment of each member of our staff. Be assured at Bahía Príncipe San Juan will never cease in its effort to achieve our goal – the total satisfaction of our guests.

We hope to have the opportunity to serve you again very soon here in Bahía Príncipe San Juan. Please feel free to contact us in a future stay with us.

Warm regards,

Sjobo, Sweden
Reviewed 18 February 2013

We had a great time with plenty of food and beverages during our stay .
Nice staff and rooms.There are no reason to listen to the complains about food or the hotel. especially the food at Medi terrainien restaurant was very good.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Sulle64
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to give us such good review of your stay at Bahía Príncipe San Juan in our Tripadvisor web page and share with our fans your experience with us.

It is truly a pleasure to us to learn that you enjoyed your stay at our resort and we greatly appreciate your comments about facilities/grounds and the friendliness of our staff; we are aware that it is only because of them that we are able to achieve our goal – the total satisfaction of our guests. As well as it is only through this kind of communications that we can se the continuous improvement of our service.

Once again, thank you so much for your observations and we sincerely wish to welcome you soon to our Hotel Bahia Principe San Juan. We will be at your disposal for whatever you may need, please do not hesitate to contact us whenever you are planning to return.

Best wishes,

North Bay, Canada
Reviewed 17 February 2013

I travelled to the BPSJ over the Christmas holidays with my wife and in-laws.

We opted for the Golden Club. I did not notice much of a difference...I think we were given an additional a la carte option...and priority check-in.

My first impression was not very good. We were given a room on the ground floor...I highly recommend requesting something on the second floor. The in-laws had a second floor room...it was much nicer having high ceilings and a balcony amongst the palms. The rooms are dated...but relatively clean. The toilet in our room would not stop running all week...we just closed the bathroom door at night to drown noise. The only other complaint is the lack of hot water. If you want a warm/hot shower turn the water on well before you plan on getting in...a waste but necessary if you don't want a cold shower. My first impression of the beach was disappointing...the sand was relatively coarse and the water was very murky and full of seaweed.

Food:

The food choices were very good...and as far as I know, no one in our party suffered any gastro-intestinal issues. My wife and I are both vegetarian and always found something adequate. The a la carte's were hit and miss. We ate at the Italian twice...first time it was very good...second time the food was terrible. The Mexican was okay. The Mediterranean was awesome!!!

Outside of the resort:

The resort was okay...but the highlight of my trip was without a doubt the time spent outside of the resort. The in-laws wanted to take us on an excursion...we talked to a tour operator at the resort that quoted $90/person for some cheesy-sounding tour. At the front of the resort is a taxi stand. I spoke to taxi driver(Chitto is his nickname)...he offered a personalized tour for $80 for six people in his van(newer and clean). He took us to some awesome sites like Playa Diamonte, Lake Dudu, Playa Grande and a couple of towns for souvenir shopping. We were so happy with our personal excursion that we tipped him very handsomely.

The wife and I(both beach lovers and unhappy with the one at the resort) went on our own excursion. We took a taxi to Playa Caleton. That beach was very nice...there was a good mix of ex-pats, tourists and locals. The price was $40 return. Our cabbie was waiting in the parking lot to take us back to the resort at the agreed upon time.

I cannot stress enough that anyone visiting BPSJ should check out the places I mentioned. There are some reviews on TA under the things to do in Rio San Juan tab.

Room Tip: Second floor...vaulted ceilings and nicer balconies.
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank upsetter36
Dear Guest,

We would like to thank you for letting us know about your recent experience in our hotel and also for taking time to share your comments with our trip advisor community. In our effort to continuously improve the quality of our service and facilities we put our greatest interest and value in our guest´ opinion.

It is a real pleasure to get your comment. We are glad that you have enjoyed all our facilities and services during your visit with us. We hope to welcome you in a near future to our hotel, please do not hesitate to contact us whenever you are planning to return.

Regards,
Marsta, Sweden
Reviewed 16 February 2013

A really nice hotel with a beautiful beach and a good variety of activities to make your stay exactly like you want it to be, just relaxing by the pool or beach or have a wonderful massage in the spa. if you get restless you have the watersport area, Scuba Quatic with its great staff and knowledge,
They make sure you get the best out of everything you do.
you will not regret your choice to stay at the Bahia Principe!

3 Thank Malin W
, Quality & Customer Service department at Grand Bahia Principe San Juan, responded to this review, 19 February 2013
Dear Guest,

Firstly, please allow us to comment you that your opinion is very valuable to us, therefore we are extremely proud and happy for having left in your memory a pleasant stay. Also, we would like to thank you for taking the time to communicate the impressions of your vacation with our TripAdvisor community.

We appreciate your positive comments about our facilities and services, comments such as like yours are what we strive for following every day in order to improve the quality of service we offer. In addition, we are very happy to learn that you have had a great stay at our resort, especially because of the service from the Scubaquatic. We are pleased to share your comments with all of them.

Once again, thank you so much for your comments and we sincerely wish to welcome you soon to our Hotel Bahia Principe San Juan and thank you in person.
Always at your disposal,

Creston, British Columbia, Canada
Reviewed 14 February 2013

We stayed from Jan.22 to Feb. 12. The food was great, they had something for everyone. Our room was awesome, when we walked in everyday it was so fresh. The other resorts we have stayed at did not hold a candle to this resort.
We all don't speak Spanish but all you need is a smile and patience, they will help you.
The staff was awesome from the very top to bottom We found everything and everyplace was clean, from the pool area to the bathrooms, from the gardens to the restaurants. This is the only resort that we have been to that has a very large sitting area that is covered so when it is raining out you can sit and have a drink with friends.
Thank you to the staff you are AWESOME hope to see you next year.

Room Tip: Second floor and on he south side worked great for us.
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Anne P
Dear Guest,

Receive cordial greetings on behalf of Bahia Principe San Juan, especially from our Quality & Customer Service department.

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay at our hotel. We sincerely appreciate all your feedback.

We are very proud to have received your personals comments informing us that we have exceeded your expectations. We have a strong commitment to provide quality service beyond our guest’s expectations, and it is a real pleasure for us to learn that we have achieved our goal. This definitely strengthens our philosophy of seeking the highest level of service excellence, thanks to an arduous team’s work and the devotion and commitment of each member of our staff.

We hope to welcome you very soon to our hotel. Please do not hesitate on contacting us in a future stay with us.

Regard,

ClubHotel Riu Bachata
#11 of 39 in Puerto Plata
BlueBay Villas Doradas Adults Only
Grand Bahia Principe La Romana

Been to Grand Bahia Principe San Juan? Share your experiences!