“13 Year Secret”

Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Torgnon
London, United Kingdom
“13 Year Secret”
Reviewed 23 December 2012

Me and my family have been coming to this hotel for the last 13 years of which we missed only in 2004. I selfishly (sorry) wanted to keep this place as a secret as i felt it was so good. This hotel gives you 100% real perfect Italian hospitality as it should be and as it used to be once upon a time.
Full board is excellent value and the food is brilliant regional Italian fare. The rooms are great, the bed very comfortable and all is extremly clean.
This is and has been a family run hotel for many years in fact the eldest son Liam now runs the place. The chef Franco has been there for at least ten years and is brilliant.
I could talk about this place for hours, the facts are it is a fantastic well run family hotel and me and my family have loved it for years.
We are obviously back again in Feb 2013.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 February 2012

This review is a little late as it was for our last trip to The Zerbion Hotel in Torgnon, which was almost a year ago now and we are due to go back in just under two weeks, that's how much we love this place. We (my family and I and our friends) go to Torgnon every year at February Half Term and we always stay at The Zerbion Hotel, not just because we are biased, but because we always have a wonderful welcome and wonderful stay each and every year - otherwise we would not go back.
Last year was a little different though as I managed to break my leg skiing on the black run in Torgnon and not only did I break my Tibula and Fibula, I managed to break it in six places! Hence needing surgery on my return to UK to have two metal plates and 17 pins/bolts inserted to fix my leg. Anyhow I am a glutton for punishment as I am returning again in just under two weeks, back to the same resort where I broke my leg, to ski again, but the main reason I am going back is to thank Livio, his wife Anna (I believe her name is - sorry if I have got this wrong), Liam and the rest of the family and staff for their wonderful care during our stay, especially towards my husband who was so shocked by my accident that he looked as though he was going to have a heart attack LOL :)
The hotel is in a great position, just a few minutes down the hill from the gondola which takes you up to the ski slopes. The village is a small village with only a few hotels and shops, but it has everything you need and the people are lovely. We never need anything as we always stay full board a Hotel Zerbion as the food is so lovely and my only complaint is that I always eat too much and have to diet on my return.
Rooms are lovely and have everything you need, beds are very comfortable (I like a firm bed and have a Tempur mattress at home) and I always have a great night's sleep on the hotel beds. Bathrooms are very nice too and the cleaning staff are very good.
Communal areas are great, a lovely cosy snug bar on one side of reception and a large lounge with soft seating and TV and extended area with tables and chairs to the front of the hotel with large glass windows to see the view outside - great for playing cards in the evening or catching up on your e-mails (or work in my case) as they have free wifi with a good connection.
The hotel has free parking and a ski storage room, but we always rent a locker just in front of the gondola across the road as it is easier that carrying your skis and boots up the hill first thing in the morning, especially after a large breakfast. The couple who own the ski hire shop and locker hire are a lovely couple too, recommended by Livio.
Ski Resort has been updated a couple of years ago so there is now a few black runs, several red runs and a couple of blue runs. Enough runs for intermediate skiers like ourselves and the black runs are challenging if you are an experienced skier, but there are not loads of runs, enough to keep you occupied, plus we always have fun skiing off piste through the tree runs, which are already created by other skiers or we find our own.
The resort is great for young families as there is an area for young children with bouncy castle, trampolines, moving floor etc.
Ski & Snowboard school is good and they do have a few English speaking instructors, but mainly Italian/French speaking.
Overall another great holiday (apart from the leg breaking incident). Would thoroughly recommend this hotel and if you have any questions feel free to contact me.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank ginnyLondon
London England
Reviewed 12 February 2008

We have now stayed at the Zerbion Hotel for three consecutive years, our fourth trip is coming up at the end of this week.

We go every year to Torgnon, Italy with our friends who are Italian/English and they introduced us to both Torgnon and the Zerbion Hotel and the lovely family who run it.

By far the best thing about this hotel is the food, we always stay on a full board basis for their delicious meals, best food ever had in Italy.

The rooms are spacious and very comfortable, especially for families as they have a small hall coming off the entrance then one double bedroom at one end, large bathroom with good shower in the centre and another room with a sofa bed made up for the children with plenty of storage in both rooms. The rooms have been renovated in the last couple of years and are eco friendly too, you can only turn the lights on with the key in the switch, so that when you leave the room the lights are always turned off.

Housekeeping is very good, every day they clean your room and replenish the toiletries etc. Cannot fault the staff and always ready with a smile and a hello or Ciao.

The family who run this hotel cannot do enough for you and it feels like you are part of their family, they are very welocming and because of this they have regular families returning each year, as we do.

There is a very welcoming snug bar and also a family room if you want to go an play cards or dominoes or watch TV. They also have a separate restaurant as well as the full board side of the restaurant for hotel guests.

I believe we (our family and our friends) are the only British to stay in this hotel or indeed Torgnon, as the owner "Livio" is very proud of telling his local town people that he has English staying with him again, or he informs the local ski school and ski hire shop that the English are coming again.

Skiing in Torgnon is good too, with several challenging Red Runs, one black run and a few blue runs for beginners. There are not loads of ski runs, but enough to keep you occupied if you are a beginner or intermediate. For beginners there is a moving floor to take you back up the slope and for everyone else there are chair lifts and drag lifts to take you to the higher slopes.

You take the gondola up from town to the ski area and usually the snow conditions are good, but they have seeral snow cannons if not. When there has been sufficient snow, you can ski right down to the bottom of the gondola.

There are several very nice restaurants in and around the ski are and all the people we meet are very friendly, even though we cannot speak a word of Italian.

The ski school only as two English speaking ski instructors and one english speaking snow board instructor, so you have to book them early to ensure an instructor you can understand. But the fact that this resort it totally Italian is a plus in our eyes. It is still small and intimate and not yet overrun with drunken British holiday-makers.

It is great here for children also as the ski area has a lovely play area for little ones and older ones alike, with a bouncy castle, bouncy slide and trampolines, plus there is the Doughnut Ring slide.

Great holiday every year is had by all and we always look forward to our half term February break in Torgnon.

• Liked — The Food
  • Disliked — No internet access
  • Stayed February 2007, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
2 Thank GinaER
Also consider these accommodations in or near Torgnon
Hotel Caprice des Neiges
Hotel Jour et Nuit
Hotel Jour et Nuit
#3 of 5 in Torgnon
Hotel Restaurant & Residence Filey
Hotel Restaurant & Residence Fil...
#2 of 2 in Antey Saint Andre
Hotel Parc Mont Avic
Hotel Parc Mont Avic
#1 of 1 in Champdepraz

Been to Hotel Zerbion? Share your experiences!