“Still wonderful ....”
Review of Borgo Egnazia

Borgo Egnazia
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Savelletri
Reviewed 20 August 2014

I returned from my 4th visit to Borgo at end of July with my daughter for a quick "girl'"s trip.

In 3 previous years, we travelled as a family of 4 for our main summer holiday & had a fabulous time - the only reason we didn't do a family trip this year was that we had another long term one planned. My daughter was so upset to be missing her "Borgo" trip, I planned a 4 day trip to placate her!!

Yes, it has evolved & changed over the years (we first went in its opening year) but it still retains a wonderful & relaxing atmosphere.

The staff are all fantastic, nothing is too much trouble & many remembered us from previous trips.

Also we loved that La Frasca is back to being a trattoria & that there is an adult restaurant (Due Camini) where you can escape from the younger children.

Over the years, we have graduated from the typical family using the kids club (which was excellent needless to say) to now appreciating the adults/older children areas & still want to return. I think this sums up Borgo perfectly - it appeals to all.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
borgoegnazia2010, Direttore generale at Borgo Egnazia, responded to this reviewResponded 9 March 2015

Dear guest,

Thank you very much for your amazing feedback. We are so pleased that you enjoyed our “nowhere else” experience for the fourth time. It is so nice to think about your daughter’s love for Borgo Egnazia and we are deeply glad that you appreciated the prismatic soul of our property, a place where it is possible to spend a great time with your family and where, at the same time, it is possible to have an amusing holiday for adults. Borgo Egnazia is a big family and we are sincerely happy to welcome back our guests, we aim at the anticipation of their needs as we have known each other for a longtime. We plan lots of activities all year long, according to the seasonal weather and flavors: Vair Spa treatments and programs, bike tours among the olive trees, oil and wine tasting at old farms, a walk down the white alleys of the villages nearby, a horse ride on the beach. Puglia is always worth a visit under different lights. We look forward to seeing you back soon.

With my warmest regards,

Hotel Manger

Reviewed 18 August 2014

We stayed here for two and half weeks in August in one of their "townhouses" - thankfully nowhere near the square where the evening entertainments were - and we were blown away by the scale and style of this Borga (its a village not a hotel) and our town house was superb - 2 beds 3 bath 3 TV's a kitchen and a courtyard and roof terrace AND free wifi - wow. The only negative to it are - a kitchen without plates or cutlery make it one for coffee and drinks only....a shame as a movie night in would have been nice and the room service menu doesn't include Pizza! So a 9/10 for accommodation and the hotel itself

The charm of this place deepened as it is the first hotel I have been to in August with sufficient sunbeds around the pool- now that does allow for a relaxing breakfast for the whole family as only the newbies resort to towelling their beds before breakfast....10/10 on this one.

Reviews have commented on the cost of taxis and again I will defend the hotel - yes 30euro to Savelletri is steep - but when you call for a return transfer - its there almost too quickly and that is really reassuring and valuable. In addition you can book a tour within 100km of the hotel for 125 euro plus 25 euro for each additional hour and this really facilitated us getting out and exploring which is vital - see the next point. 8/10

Now....the not so good surrounds one thing - the food. There are four restaurants - the ever present overpriced buffet (95 euro pp) - impossible to eat as a family as one of you is always in flight, the really nice restaurant - no kids so that left a pizzeria, La Frasca and the Beach club. This is simply insufficient for a family hotel. The pizzeria is good, La Frasca is sort of average and the beach club is excellent save for the fact you will be dinner. We ate there once and it took four days for the mosquito bites to subside! Avoid or wear long trousers and sleeves and use repellent. 6/10

The Kids club sort of didnt work for us. We have an only child aged 8 and when we went in they showed little interest in her and as a result it didn't click for her...thankfully she made some friends in the pool 6/10

Service again was mixed from - world class on reception and housekeeping through to average at the the buffet breakfast.....the cocktail lounge was also odd - every table was reserved to stop people sitting there and reading etc.. We ignored these and ordered cocktails every night until one we sat at was actually really reserved - embarrassing so we moved...poor use of risvardo signs me thinks...

This Borga could be a truly World Class resort but not with the current food options even if the cocktails are to die for....best Americano cocktails ever!

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
6  Thank The_37_SF
borgoegnazia2010, Proprietario at Borgo Egnazia, responded to this reviewResponded 25 August 2014

Dear guest,

Thank you for your overall positive feedback. As anyone can see from the reviews you are not the only one that comment on food. This is an area that we are constantly working to improve and have many made changes even in the course of the season.

Just to clarify a couple of points, there are 5 restaurants at Borgo Egnazia in the evening: La Frasca (traditional Apulian fare), La Mia Cucina (pizzeria), Pescheria da Vito (fish restaurant at the beach club), Il Colonnato (currently our buffet restaurant but likely to change soon) and Due Camini. Due Camini is our more formal restaurants and in season, when the other options are all available, we try to keep it more quiet for guests travelling without children and for parents looking to spend some time alone while we take care of the kids. The buffet at Il Colonnato is Eur 60 for adults and 35 for children over 3 (free below that age), and it includes food, water (which can be expensive in 5 star hotels!) and after dinner tea or coffee. I believe this is very reasonable considering the quality and the atmosphere, with a dedicated full bar and live music every night — I believe the experience is far superior than a usual “ever present” buffet and is greatly appreciated by most guests. With regards to mosquito bites, in the area we never had this problem, however due to an usual weather combination we had one or two weeks where it was a serious problem, not just at Borgo but all over Puglia, it was even in the national news… again the area is known for nice fresh air and very little insect problems…

Tables at the Bar del Portico are generally not reservable, we do try to keep the larger ones for larger groups to make sure guests find adequate seatings for their needs. Glad you enjoyed our drinks!!!

I am sorry your daughter did not appreciate our kids facilities and the team. This is quite unusual as children are those that bring families back to BE year over year!

I hope I can welcome you back to BE, hopefully you will be satisfied with the F&B changes and improvements… I want BE to be a truly word class place, and I believe we are there in many ways! I hope to see you back in Puglia soon, even off season — many regulars like it even more than the summer!

Regards,

Reviewed 14 August 2014

Beautiful hotel in a boring location. Hotel is luxury luxury luxury but the surrounding areas are hugely disappointing unless you like looking at olive trees. There are no designer boutiques or even small interesting shops anywhere close to the hotel. The only shops in the closest village (savelletri) sell olive oil,pasta and tomatoes - there are several ice cream shops. There are historical sites to visit but you need a car or to book one of the hotel's hugely overpriced additional options - €400/head for a trip along the coast stopping at 2 costal towns. Another option is visiting a mozzarella factory by bicycle for the bargain price of €45/head, so if you are a family of 4, the extras can be rather OTT. Expect to spend the first 2 days figuring out the ways to the various restaurants, bars and beaches - it's not obvious and nothing is described In a brochure to help you figure out what might be a good option to suit your requirements - the information they do provide is confusing and the programme for the week is printed in tiny writing. I only discovered on the last day that their sister property had a beach restaurant where you can eat dinner - transfer to the restaurant is extra of course ! Food is ok if not bland and helpings are not generous. Infact, the whole experience is rather like being with a stingy friend where you are the one that is constantly paying for everything. There are no lovely touches like fruit brought to your sunbed, or even a cold flannel - if you want anything, you have to pay for it. Breakfast is by far the best meal and I can recommend the avocado sandwich from the bar for lunch. Staff are everywhere and can be annoying and even intrusive. You are constantly asked if everything is ok, however, if you should have a complaint or comment then it is either ignored or dealt with very inefficiently due to lack of experience from the generally young and possibly inexperienced staff. The management should focus on quality not quantity. There is not much more to say about the place other than it's unlikely that we will go back.

Room Tip: Rooms in the Borgo are more private - I would recommend this side rather than staying in the hotel...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
7  Thank Caroline K
borgoegnazia2010, Owner at Borgo Egnazia, responded to this reviewResponded 21 August 2014

Dear guest,

I am sorry you did not enjoy the hotel surrounding. Borgo Egnazia is located in the heart of Puglia and it is the ideal location to explore the region. Savelletri, the local village is a tiny fishing community, I agree the shopping is not so interesting there… however in the nearby towns like for example Cisternino (20 mins away) there are some very interesting shops for local art and clothing. All over Puglia you find phenomenal artisans that make incredible art works made it with stone, fabrics, metal or the local ceramics. Even in Fasano (10 mins away) you have many great artisans and a couple of good shops that sell designer clothes, for a strip of designer boutiques (Gucci, Vuitton etc) you need to go to Bari (45 mins), and we do offer a personal shopper service upon request for guests that want to go there. Puglia is about the local culture, the earth (yes, including the olive groves), the sea and the local artisanal products, I feel like we have not been able to provide you with the right advice while you were here. I have commented in other replies about the transportation issue, something we are working to improve.
Maybe you are right we should have a more detailed brochure to help guests figuring out what it is best for them, so far we have preferred to leave it with personal interaction. Every guests receives a link to they own webpage to personalise their stay, with the first part being a direct question on what is the “one thing” you expect from your stay. This is followed up personally via email or phone by our Local Advisors, a dedicated team of 15 that is there only to take care of our guests and explain them what the place and the area have to offer. Clearly in this instance we have failed to communicate with you in the best possible way, and for that I am really sorry. By the way transfer to our sister properties are absolutely free of charge! I am trying to identify you in order to further explore your issues about complaints and comments. In addition to the staff, some of which take young but usually well trained, I am always around and so are the management team and the local advisors. Your comment on lovely touches is noted, we do provide many which I won’t list but let guests experience, but you can never have enough and fruit poolside is definitely on my to do list now! I hope I can make you change your mind on coming back, please contact me directly if you wish, I am not sure I am allowed disclose my contact details in this forum but if you reach out the the hotel they will always find me! I live in London for the winter so maybe I can invite you to have drink at the wine bar I am opening with some friends soon and we can talk about your next holiday in Puglia!!

Best regards,

Reviewed 11 August 2014

We have travelled extensively particularly throughout Italy & only stayed in hotels/resorts with a minimum 4 star rating & generally a 5 star rating. Last year we stayed at a Borgo, Borgo Scopeto outside Siena which was superb. On our arrival at Borgo Egnazia for a 5 night stay in July 2014, we did find the hotel to be very chic, our room was fine & service was fine. In fact at our first night's dinner, an English gentleman at the next table said that after a few days, the luxurious surroundings will wear off after we have experienced a few meals. And we must say that he was right. We found the food to be really ordinary, were not informed that, at breakfast we could order in addition to or in lieu of the ordinary buffet, & at the signature Restaurant, 2 Camini, the portions of each of the 2 courses were not just very minimalistic but we left hungry. Also they did not honour a free meal voucher we are entitled to as Virtuoso guests. So overall, difficult to recommend to our many friends & co-Australians who are beginning to explore the Puglia region.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank David M

Dear guest,

I am sorry that the food at our restaurants did not meet your taste, we fare very careful with the selection of the best local ingredients and work to constantly improve the quality of our meals. Your comments are duly noted, we will make sure that the guests are made aware of the additional options at breakfast, and we have already made changes to the portions of our Due Camini courses, which by the way were in line with the standards of a gourmet restaurant. As you know I have personally dealt with the issue of your free meal, which we never intended not to honour — it was just a mistake that no one noticed at the time of check out. I know that Australia is not exactly around the corner from us but I hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to Borgo Egnazia, or as discussed maybe see you in your part of the World soon!

Regards,

Reviewed 9 August 2014

This place is truly amazing. This staff go out of their way to be helpful and polite. The facilities are second to none. The rooms are beautiful and very comfortable. A car is a good idea as there are only 5 dining options on site! We will definately be returning.

I am really not sure the previous poor reviewer was actually staying at the same hotel as I don't recognise any aspect of the review!

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Quadrupeds

Dear guest,

Thank you very much for your gorgeous feedback. When our guests feel happy we feel happier than them because the fulfillment of an amazing experience is the cornerstone of our daily work. With regards to the detractors, we know that it is not possible to be loved by everyone, but our strong Apulian cultural identity has a widespread strength to seduce that part of the world which is interested in a genuine and “nowhere else” way of life. We aim to provide a better tailor made service day by day and we really hope you will appreciate all the new activities we are preparing for your next staying at Borgo Egnazia.
We sincerely hope to welcoming you back soon. The infinite Apulian jewels are worth a visit all year long.

Warmest regards,

Hotel Manager

Reviewed 4 August 2014

I stayed at this Spa/Hotel 4 nights this mid July.
Everything is great including all the great and caring staff.
There is gulf cart shuttle to and from its private beach. The restaurant at the beach is beautiful, clean and the food is superb. They have a very nice 18 hole gulf coarse also that we used.
There where a lot of families with children there since it was in mid June. The sister hotel called Masseria SanDomenico is also great both for stay and for dinner. It is one mile away.They do not allow children there.
I am planninmg to go back next year.
In my humble opinion you need a car to drive around and vist surrounding towns such as Bari, Lecce, etc.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank sissacd10
borgoegnazia2010, Direttore generale at Borgo Egnazia, responded to this reviewResponded 29 September 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your beautiful review.

As you said Borgo Egnazia is both for families and couples/friends, we have a wonderful kid’s and teens team that allows your children to enjoy their holiday in a nowhere else place with nowhere else activities.
Masseria San Domenico is a really exclusive place but it is the right choice for couples of people who want relax and peace.
Your suggestion is beautiful because I always encourage our guests renting a car and visiting the region. There are wonderful places to see and landscapes to explore because Puglia is famous for traditional food, landscapes and history throughout.
Looking forward to meet you next year.

My best regards

Hotel Director

Reviewed 1 August 2014

After travelling extensively for the last 20 years, being raised in a travel agent family and working myself in the hospitality industry, my latest experience at Borgo Egnazia facing such a change for the worst in only a year time made me want to write my first ever review on tripadvisor. And though I m actually still on holidays at Borgo Egnazia i needed to take a few minutes to comment ( a full detailed review will follow when i m back ). After our 2 week stay last year, i was so full of praise about this place, recommending it to all my friends as the 5* star place to stay with kids in Europe, that i could not wait but to warn that unfortunately it is not anymore. Don t get me wrong, the setting has not changed and is still beautiful but when it comes to this caterogy of hotels, it is all about the small details, the atmosphere, ... Last year the management and the team were ahead of our needs and wishes, and we had an amazing experience. This year we have waisted way too much of our holidays time complaining or asking very simple request being fullfilled. We have now learnt that management has changed and new policies have been put in place. So despite the genuine kindness of the staff, if you are looking for a relax 5* treatment, unfortunately this is not the place to stay anymore. You won't be allowed to eat the most basic bar menu food on the bar low table but asked to move to some nearby table, you won't be allowed to chill out and read your book barefoot at the main outdoor bar at 1pm, expect to ask 3 to 4 time most request before getting it answered, you will have to insist to book local taxi in place of the overpriced hotel car, you will waiste time double checking your restaurant bill and getting it corrected, you will take most of your meal at local restaurant because the kitchen is not up to the standard anymore, you will be charge eur10 for a in-room champagne bucket ice refill... It's a shame,Borgo Egnazia was possibly the most promissing newly open luxury kids resort and the new management policy and latest recruitment might ruin it for good...

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
14  Thank Vanina K
borgoegnazia2010, Owner at Borgo Egnazia, responded to this reviewResponded 13 August 2014

Dear Guest,

I am very sorry to read your review, especially considering that you were such a big advocate of our place. I hope this terrible review is only the consequence of an episode regarding your experience at our bar and not a total change in your view of our place. The Bar del Portico, which is the central (and if I may more formal) bar of the hotel has an area designated for people that want to consume a light meal and an area with low sofas that is not very comfortable for that purpose as there is no proper place to lay dishes and cutlery and eat comfortably. This is not a new “rule”, it has always been the case and since many guests have complained by the “mess” made in an area meant for relaxation recently we have been more strict with regard to consuming meals in the more loungey area. Everyone is welcome to be barefoot anywhere around the place during the day, as a matter of fact I am generally barefoot if I am not working, however we do ask guests not to use the central sofas of the main bar as lounge beds as there are many other more comfortable places to lay down, which is what our staff did.

With regards to your other comments, I just want to clarify that Borgo Egnazia is still owned and managed by myself and my family, and that the management team of last year is still in place, some people have changed role and grown into different positions and we do have some new members of staff as we become more and more successful but the core team is still the same! We continuously try to make improvements to our standards, and this year we have made significant changes to the F&B offering, which most of our many returning guests have appreciated. Transportation outside our hotel is indeed challenging. We do encourage our guests to use BE as a hub to explore Puglia, but unfortunately unless you are happy to rent your own car the availability of good services is scarce and as a result expensive. There is only one taxi in the whole municipality of Fasano so we recommend a chauffeur company, which offers good service but is not the cheapest. In order to make things easier for our guests we have made an agreement with a local gentleman who has imported old London cabs to provide an evening service to go to local restaurants at a fair prices. We have also recently added our own hotel cars which we are starting to use in order to provide a better service at more reasonable prices than third parties. There should be no charge for ice, I apologise for that. I am sorry I could not meet you personally as I was travelling last week but I do know that you had several conversations with the team. I hope that you would decide to trust us one more time so that we can hopefully turn you back into an ambassador of Borgo Egnazia.

Best regards,
Aldo Melpignano

Also consider these accommodations in or near Savelletri
Masseria Torre Maizza
#5 of 6 in Savelletri
Hotel del Levante
Hotel del Levante
#3 of 5 in Torre Canne

Been to Borgo Egnazia? Share your experiences!