“Pet friendly, she was not even people friendly!”
Review of Holly Lane Mews

Holly Lane Mews
Ranked #27 of 55 Yarra Valley B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 9 March 2013

My partner and I stayed there and booked out the whole site for our wedding. She was rude to us and some of our guests. She moved my dogs from one room to another without telling us, we thought that they had escaped - when I expressed my displeasure, she yelled at me, and continued to follow me when I left. There were holes in the sheets, the white Aldi bread wasn't quite what you expect at a bed and breakfast for this price. They had a coffee plunger but no coffee - only instant!

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank tania703
FloJo2, Owner at Holly Lane Mews, responded to this reviewResponded 11 March 2013

Thank you Tania for your feedback. Our sheets do not have holes they are provided by a reputable laundry. We are pet friendly but do not expect to be abused by owners who have no respect for our conditions pertaining to pets or our property. We did not charge her for her pets as a gesture of good will.
This lady booked the whole property for her wedding and during the last year she consulted with us over a year at least dozens of times, she was extremely high maintenance and she asked if she could bring 2 small dogs. She was advised that the dogs were welcome but not to be left unattended. As a favour to her during the wedding we asked her to leave the dogs in the bathroom. Whilst cleaning the suite on the first morning we were horrified to find her dogs sitting on the new lounge room sofas in our luxury suite totally unattended.. We put them in the bathroom and realized there was a respect issue.
The day of the clients departure she accused us of causing her anxiety by putting the dogs in the bathroom. Her by then husband agreed with us as to our explanation.. . I advised her that they had been safe at all times and was quite worried that the morning after the wedding she was so upset (great wedding night) We were more shocked on having to clean the apartment after they left it was filthy, dishes not done and the dogs had shredded cardboard all over the apartment. My cleaner said it was the worst she had seen.( we could have charged her for the mess she left but decided to be kind as after all it was her wedding day. The ladies guests were respectful and extremely clean. I would suggest this is a client to be avoided at all costs if you are a property owner.

Reviewed 17 February 2013

Wow what a fantastic trip we just had to the superb Yarra Valley and are so grateful of stumbling onto Holly Lane Mews. We found the room comfortable and beautifully presented. The bathroom although small very adequate and functional. We met Jo on check in who gave us a brief tour and some history of the local ara. We will be back it was fantastic!

Room Tip: We had the Pool View Room
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 December 2012

I first came across Holly Lane Mews on Groupon, they had a deal for a two-night stay. We had a trip planned to Melbourne, Australia for his best friends wedding and decided to make a 'get-away' to the Yarra Valley while we were there, and boy am I glad we did. The drive was shorter than expected with beautiful views.

Upon arrival, we were set-up in a pool view room (the pool wasn't much to look at, but everything else was). The location of the bed and breakfast is ideal, just a short cruise into town where they have little shops and a delicious pub. It is also a short drive up the road to the De Bortoli winery, where we went for a wine and cheese tasting. It is surrounding by beautiful landscapes and picturesque farmland, made perfect by the clay path lining the road (perfect for an evening stroll). The Healesville Sanctuary is in close range as well as many other beautiful winery and activities.

The bed and breakfast itself was quaint and classic, with anything you need. The room stayed warm with the cool outside temperature, it was kept very clean and restocked with fresh towels and breakfast goodies, made perfect with the wombat in the back field.

It was the perfect romantic getaway. We had no complaints about Holly Mews.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank kchaseuf
Reviewed 23 July 2012

My partner and I loved our stay here. Holly Lane is situated in a fantastic location, and has a very homely feel. Close to amazing wineries and restaurants, and with an amzingly pretty setting I was really impressed! The couple that run it are extremely nice and really make the stay pleasant and welcoming, and rooms are really clean and comfortable.
Will definitely be booking another weekend here

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 July 2012

Our family stayed here for 4 nights and found it wonderful. Joanne and Brian were helpful, gracious and only too welcoming. My 2 girls are animal lovers, as are we, and our hosts were always keen to share their beautiful animals with our family. Our apartment was spacious, comfortable and WARM (we had NO trouble with heating or "ungracious hosts", as some other reviewer stated, and the bed was very comfortable). Yes, the water is brown, but the farm strives to be as eco friendly as possible, and the owners should be congratulated for this, not criticised. The farm is peaceful, quiet, tranquil and spellbindingly beautiful. It is a credit to this community, that in wake of such devastating fires only 4 years ago, that they still are about to have such a go ahead attitude and to move on despite all this. What a great place to show kids and us what living in the country is all about. Many thanks Joanne and Brian. We hope to see you again and thanks for your great directions to Melbourne airport!!

Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 5 June 2012

Holly Lane is one of the more beautiful places I have stayed in during my many travels. Run by an eccentric but kind and helpful couple, (they gave us a lift out to restaurants/wineries and picked us up too which was a real plus for us given the extensive number of wineries around that area), the place oozes country charm and warmth.

The room was beautifully appointed with lovely little touches and beautiful views out over the gardens. We particularly loved Rex the talking parrot and the fact we could pat the horses in the surrounding paddocks. We found some great walking trails in the national park near by too and we decided to take a picnic up one day and had the best day, didn't see another soul and therer were the most majestic views - it was truly magic.

I would have no hesitation in recommending Holly Lane to people wanting a quiet get away or some time away with friends.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 3 June 2012

Pros:
* Lovely rural location, with easy access from Yarra Glen.
* We went for an enjoyable jog up Willowbend Drv, which is very pretty.
* We greatly enjoyed the spa, even though it is only a standard bath size with a shower over it.

Cons:
* Privacy is limited. The room is part of the main house, separated by a door that only locks on the house side. We heard the occupants moving up and down outside our room after we had gone to bed.
* The room was very cold (the weather out was average for early June), with a small heater apparently not up to the job of warming the room. The bathroom has no heating and was freezing regardless.
* The tap water is distinctly brown. We never bothered to find out why, but suspect there is nothing actually wrong with it.
* Our host was not gracious. When we explained that we were cold the first answer was, "That heater is effective enough.", then "That's the best I can do", before we were finally offered a portable heater (which did the job well).
* There was a dead moth in the corn flakes provided for our breakfast.
* We both found the bed very uncomfortable. It seemed so soft that our (normal) body weights created a great dip in the middle.

Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Clint B
FloJo2, Owner at Holly Lane Mews, responded to this reviewResponded 13 June 2012

I thank the reviewer for his honest feed back, however I was genuinely surprised with the overall review. Our property has heating facilities in each room and when the client advised us they were not hot enough it took me by surprise as this hasn't happened before (in 7+ years.) We have a high eco rating and the rooms are well insulated, so in regard to my initial comments, I admit I was thinking on my feet to resolve the problem e.g. 'where do I find a heater at 8.30 at night' - I had no intention of being ungracious. I discussed this review with the client and I think it came as a result of the client wanting a private apartment which we have for a higher price and minimum 2 nights. The client chose to stay one night.There are other guests on the property and of course sometimes there is background noise but our rooms are independent of each other with separate entrances
.Re our water: as our tank water is collected on the property and we have many native trees the water can be slightly tannic. We could choose options such as bleaching to remove this colouring but we don't by choice . Our water is of a great quality and we do not like additives. Mattresses are subjective and this complaint hasn't been made before. I hope this response to the review helps other guests to understand this review a little kinder.