“A Wonderful Surprise”

The Pickled Onion B&B / Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 3 Santa Elena B&B and Inns
Reviewed 28 December 2013

Our stay at The Pickled Onion was a wonderful experience for my wife's birthday. We stayed for 4 days and 3 nights and got a real good feel for the place. The grounds are beautifully landscaped with local vegetation, fruit trees, aloe, etc. Very nice, firm white pebble pathways wind through the property to the casista's. We stayed in the suite, which had a king size bed and also a loft that we explored but did not sleep in. It was spacious and comfy though. The beds were clean and so comfy. My bed at home is usually something I look forward to after a trip, but this bed was better than my own. I didn't want to leave it. There was bottled water in our room that was replaced daily. The showers were super clean, but the room is cleaned top to bottom daily so it comes as no surprise. I expected to have light leaks and bugs from the thatch roof, but I found not a single insect in the room. At night the room was so dark I couldn't see my hand in front of me. Perfect. The cuisine was authentic Mayan. I had the azteca soup a few times because I couldn't get enough. The poc chuk is a must. I had that twice for dinner. Guacamole and chips were too good to stop. The mixed drinks are top notch. Breakfast was served in the breakfast area in the morning. We were served a plethora of fresh fruits, fresh squeezed juices, coffee to no end, granola, yogurt, banana bread, cheeses and more. A great start to the day. The wait-staff are an wonderful group of guys who are super friendly. After breakfast we lounged in the pool. I swam while my wife read a book in the hammock hanging over the water. Valerie was an amazing host. She went above and beyond for us and made our stay and my wife's birthday one too remember. I can not say enough good things about The Pickled Onion B&B, but you should go see for yourself. Close to the Xumal and Kabah ruins as well.

1  Thank JonLaLi
pickMerida, Owner at The Pickled Onion B&B / Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 29 December 2013

Oh Thank you so much for your lovely comments . I know time does not always allow for people to stay more than one night but to stay more, then, one really gets a feel for the place that you both felt.
People sometimes come and do not realize all there is to see and do and tell me they regret not being able to stay longer because of time schedules .which I totally understand if one is only here for a two week vacation.Then again people come with all kinds of plans but once they get around the pool area become so relaxed they just do not want to move.
So again I thank you so much for your kind words and especially praises of my staff... I think they are pretty awesome and they are all from the village of tiny Santa Elena .
Take care and travel well

Reviewed 21 December 2013

We travelled over a thousand km around the Yucatan and Quintana Roo for 16 days staying in a variety of places and this was our favourite.

Apart from the great accommodation, wonderful cocktails and food and much appreciated pool area, what makes this place special is Valerie's personal touch and her wonderful staff. Watching them remain incredibly patient, polite and smiling with sometimes awkward guests was a master class in customer service.

Hats off to you Valerie for creating this amazing oasis in the middle of nowhere, ( but with great sites to see). A huge thank you and happy christmas to both you and all your staff.

Room Tip: They are all good
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
pickMerida, Owner at The Pickled Onion B&B / Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 22 December 2013

What a lovely revue thank you so much.It warmed my heart especially the comments about my staff.The Maya people( all from the village of Santa Elena) are very hard workers and hold a lot of respect without being intrusive . If you do engage them in conversation you will see the humourous side of them too.
We now have upgraded our rooms and added hairdryers to all along with the already good services we have to offer.
I wish for you both many safe travels and know that you are always welcomed here anytime!
Also I wish for you both a very happy holiday season and a great new year
take care

Reviewed 13 December 2013

Valerie is a lovely host and has really created a bit of an oasis. After some hard days travelling, one night at the pickled onion was what we needed to soothe ourselves a little. With two kids we stayed in the family hut closest to the road. For a mud and stick hut, the room was very nice and the best bed I've used all trip. Although we noticed two very loud trucks in the afternoon while sipping beers by the pool, they did not disturb our sleep. The pool was clean and refreshing, warm enough if you kept moving. We ate dinner in the restaurant and the food was excellent and well priced. Breakfast is served outside in a very nice garden setting

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
pickMerida, Owner at The Pickled Onion B&B / Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 16 December 2013

Thank you so much for your review it is really appreciated.It was a pleasure to have you all here with me . You were great guests to have around.
I hope you enjoy the rest of your travels here in the Yucatan and that you took home many fond memories all the way back to Australia .

Reviewed 2 December 2013

We are a retired couple who have just returned from the Yucatan. our stay at the Pickled Onion was a highlight of the trip. We felt close to nature in the beautiful gardens and our Mayan style cabana was so comfortable. The food was delicious and the whole package was very economical.

Room Tip: Any one of the rooms have their own charm. Check out the website
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
pickMerida, Owner at The Pickled Onion B&B / Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 3 December 2013

How lovely that you enjoyed your stay here with me...and that it became one of your highlights of your trip... It is still an amazement to me when taking a walk around the property. From a fierce jungle to a tamed garden,Maya huts, restaurant etc in only 7 years, I dont know how it was done but it was . How grateful am I to the universe that helped me create... and how wonderful that people like yourselves get the chance to enjoy, what has been created.
Again thank you for your comments
I hope you have more wonderful ,joyful journeys with collecting lots of great memories along the way

Reviewed 30 November 2013

The huts are far away from the road, so pretty quiet. We didn't get a chance to use the pool but its a big plus when exploring the Puuc route or Uxmal in the heat. The owner Valerie is really nice and thoughtful, and her own story about how she ended up in Santa Elena is quite interesting. If making a trip from Uxmal to the Puuc route, THIS is the place to make a pit-stop! Amazing food as well.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
pickMerida, Owner at The Pickled Onion B&B / Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 2 December 2013

Thank you so much for the time you took to write a revue I really appreciate it.
So happy too that you enjoyed my place and it was indeed a pleasure to have you here.
There will always be a place for you if you ever do come back this way.....
Take care and travel well
cheers

Reviewed 17 November 2013

This place is amazing, on the dude if the road, hidden a bit on a small hill. But when you find it, you discover colorful cabañas, swimming pool, flowers, palms, and.. You do not want to leave! Doña Valeria, our lovely host, personally looks after her guests. Plus delicious food, great proximity to Mayan archeological zones! Highly recommended!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
pickMerida, Owner at The Pickled Onion B&B / Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 18 November 2013

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review. It is really appreciated.And if you ever want to return there will always be a place for you
i hope you have many wonderful travels and experiences on your road of life

Reviewed 16 November 2013

October 29, 2013.
Today I wake up in the small town of Santa Elena, Mexico, where I have been for the last 2 days. Not a town on most major tourist stops but a gem of a place with so much to see, feel and do. Specifically, I came to Santa elena to the small B&B called “ the pickled onion”. I stumbled on this place years ago when it was a restaurant and had 2 small Mayan style structures for rental. The owner, creator of this spot is Valerie Pickles, hence the name. A transplant from Canada, born in England, she has her own unique story of how she arrived in the Yucatan.
I have been drawn back here on almost every occasion I come to the Yucatan because it feels really good to be here. Its that simple. Its quiet, big in history (the Mayan culture), the food is the best ever, the people are friendly, helpful and I can truly relax here. Today Valerie has 8 cottages to stay. Each unique and with everything you could possibly need. She has managed to get wifi here and has a lovely swimming pool. We are staying at one called T’sook Nah, which means the “last House” since she claims she will not build more. We will see!!! Our room has a king bed, very comfortable with ceiling fan. NO A/C but you do not need it since the Mayan palapa roof keep the place cool. Great screens on the windows and doors. Nice bathroom with walk in shower, sink and toilet. Hot & cold water. A small table, refrigerator and coffee maker. The room price includes a large breakfast in a beautiful outdoor terrace. There are a series of small towns near by with interesting things to see. If you have never traveled to a small town in the middle of the country, then this is a trip you will want to do. There is the Ruta de Pudc. The route to see many Mayan ruins (Uxmal, Sayil, Kabah, Labnah Loltun) Each unique and wonderful to visit. If you are not the type of person to want to visit a busy commercial place and you enjoy discovering things that none of your friends will have seen, then this is a place for you. If you want room service and a place to wear a shirt and tie for dinner then this is NOT the place for you. Once you have visited here, your life with be enriched. You will never forget it. The local people work harder then most anywhere else. I congratulate Valerie for being such a good influence on this community and offering an opportunity for the locals to have stable jobs. The Pickled Onion is truly a asset to this community. I know you will agree, should you decide to stop and stay here while you check out the area.

Room Tip: All rooms are great.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Acmeflower

Thank you so very much for this lovely revue.You have seen my place grow from humble beginnings to what we have now..... It is always so nice for people to come back and see how we are always transforming.The gardens get bigger and more lush, the service gets better and with more staff it gives me time to converse more with the clients giving information, when needed , without being invasive of their private time.
It always a pleasure to have the two of you here and I hope soon I can come and visit you in your paradise by the Riviera Maya
I wish you all the very best
hugs

Hotel Plaza
Hotel Plaza
#2 of 2 in Ticul
The Flycatcher Inn B&B Boutique Hotel Uxmal

Been to The Pickled Onion B&B / Restaurant? Share your experiences!