“Thanks to Pikled Onion”

The Pickled Onion B&B / Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 2 Santa Elena B&B and Inns
Reviewed 26 January 2014

Everything what you expect to find from your trip to Yukatan, you will find here! Santa Elena is a charming village situated near to many interesting historical sites. People are kind and open, but the best experience is certainly the Pickled Onion. You will find here great and healthy food, comfortable but still authentic accommodation (beautifully decorated!), garden with rich vegetation which will give you the feeling of being connected with nature, excellent service and personal care for every guest. You will become familiar with the life of villagers and in that way build more profound and memorable experience. I have no other words than THANKS to Pickled Onion... I hope we will return.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
pickMerida, Owner at The Pickled Onion B&B / Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 28 January 2014

I really have to thank you so very much for this lovely revue . I am so glad you experienced the village and its people... they are very charming and open ,as you said.
I mentioned to the gardeners your comment too and they were so pleased and proud of the work they are doing to keep it lush and clean . Again thank you .
There will always be a welcome for pleasant people like yourselves.You were the most gracious guests and great to be around
I thank you again

Reviewed 20 January 2014

Seven years ago, we happened on Valerie's newly opened restaurant, we were there on the second night she had opened and ate by candlelight before the electricity arrived some weeks later. Food was delicious. We went away amazed at this brave happy lady embarking on a grand adventure - and we were worried for her too. Seven years later, we returned to find a thriving restaurant -still good food!-and 8 mayan nahs to stay in, a pool!, and a most welcoming and positive hostess! What a success!! Valerie has a caring and respectful attitude with her staff ( I hope you value that like we do) and it shows in their relaxed but professional manner. There are people who create a wonderful world by their energy and vision and Valerie is certainly one of them. A privilege to meet her.

The nahs are rustically authentic looking but with a surprise of a comfortable bed, good linens and a beautiful bathroom. Ok, that is not authentic but most welcome after a hard day of touring.

You may have already sussed that this is a special place from the other reviews. There are other places to stay but why would you not want to stay at the place with such a vibrant welcoming atmosphere - and the only place to get lunch and dinner in the area? Not to mention the bountiful breakfast that comes with the room price. Many kinds of fruit, sweet bread, toast, juice, granola, yogurt, coffee ( we added double cappuccinos to start the day).

We returned after seven years, but we met people who return EVERY year. That probably is enough of a recommendation in itself. Stay here - it will be a great memory for you.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Elizabeth W
pickMerida, Owner at The Pickled Onion B&B / Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 24 January 2014

Wow! my goodness you brought tears to my eyes when I read this lovely comment...How honoured I was to see people return after 7 years and to see how this place has grown... I was so happy to share it with you . You were both the most charming and understanding of guests that anyone could wish to have . Your energy too ,brought in a sense of peace thank you!
I really do hope I see you again maybe not here but in another part of the world.. I feel sure we will connect again
Until that day Have more wonderful travels and I know you would be welcomed wherever you go

Reviewed 16 January 2014

I returned to the Pickled Onion this year after having been there two years ago with my girlfriend. This time we brought our husbands to see this great place. We kind of went out of our way to stay here rather than go a more direct route to our destination. It was worth every minute. The place is so beautiful and the hostess Valerie is definitely with the mostest! The food is really good at her restaurant so there is no need to look anywhere else. The pool is so refreshing. I also hear that the massages are the best in the land ( I heard this after I left; next time) If you are going to Uxmal then make this your overnight spot.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Byron18
pickMerida, Owner at The Pickled Onion B&B / Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 18 January 2014

Thank you so much for taking the time to write this review ...... I am so happy that you liked it as much as the first time around and with all the changes that have been made.It was a pleasure to have you here again and how nice that your husbands got to see it first hand.There will always be a welcome for you here . You were all just great people to have and so appreciative and for this I thank you
O K next time its a massage too!

Reviewed 12 January 2014

Valorie Pickle began her business by establishing a restaurant where few if any existed. Then to provide housing for family members she had the first thatched roof hut built. From that initial beginning she has now one of, if not the finest and most welcome, B&B/Restaurants in the Santa Elena area. The topography of the area is hilly and rocky, yet Valerie's landscaping flows throughout her land with beauty. The huts are designed for comfort and sleeping, artistically decorated in Mayan colors and fabrics and whichever one you have (ours was for two people, our son and his family occupied the family hut) you will find bathrooms to be modern! She provides bottled water on a daily basis, depending on the number in the hut, and also coffee and packaged juice. Her continental breakfast is larger than you expect, always cheese, fresh fruit, toast and some kind of roll, fruit juice, coffee.
The staff are very friendly, helpful, and their service is excellent. Besides that you will have time to get to know Valerie, and that is the icing on the cake! Rates are very reasonable and the food in the restaurant is very good. Internet service is provided in both dining areas, so you are never out of touch, unless you want to be!

Room Tip: This is such a unique site, you will enjoy whichever room you secure.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
pickMerida, Owner at The Pickled Onion B&B / Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 14 January 2014

Oh my gosh! Thank you so much for such a wonderful review.... it touched me deeply.
I am so happy you enjoyed your stay . It was such a great pleasure to have all of you here with me .
Some people just make my work so much easier and you were all these kind of people... So pleasant, so accepting of the area,so in tune with all that there is to see...
Again thank you and I hope your future travels take you far and wide, with many more wonderful experiences that the world has to offer .

Reviewed 10 January 2014

We spent 3 nights at this place and were very happy here. We enjoyed the lovely accomodation, very tasty meals and friendly staff. Thanks to the owner Valeria for her hospitality! There are many activities to do in the area, also with children: museum of cacao, archeological sites, caves and lovely villages.

• Stayed: January 2014
pickMerida, Owner at The Pickled Onion B&B / Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 11 January 2014

Thank you so much for your lovely revue
I am so happy you enjoyed your stay with me and I hope you always have wonderful experiences
You were all a delight to have around this place , just wonderful guests that appreciate the natural surroundings of the Yucatan countryside
Take care

Reviewed 4 January 2014

We spent only one night at The Pickled Onion and wished we had stayed longer. Valerie was the most gracious and welcoming host of all during our 9 day trip around the Yucatan. She has created a wonderful sanctuary and the perfect place to stay as a base for exploring the Ruta Puuc area. She made recommendations for sights to see and called a mototaxi for us to travel to Kabeh after we were duped by Expedia and were unable to get the rental car we had reserved in Merida. FYI- there is NO Economy Rental Car in Merida!!!
The Pickled Onion is a gem, the cabana's are beautiful, clean, and well equipped. The swimming pool and gardens are lovely and the restaurant is excellent. An absolute delight.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
pickMerida, Owner at The Pickled Onion B&B / Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 5 January 2014

I wish to say thank you so much for your comments.... with people like yourselves it would have been more than a pleasure to have you here for more than one day... Your smiles , enthusiasm for life were more than welcoming .
So sad about your car hire but then you would not have experienced a fun trip in a mototaxi.. quite unique for the travellers to see these spinning around the village.
When ever you make another trip to this part I would like you to know you would always be welcomed
sincerely

Reviewed 30 December 2013

Upon the recommendation of other travellers, we chose to stay at the Pickled Onion for a day and night, and wish we had discovered it earlier! What a delightful and interesting place Valerie has created: The grounds were lovingly cared for, the rooms comfortably set up with care and attention to detail, and the food sumptuous. As an added bonus, Valerie directed us to interesting spots in the village of Santa Elena. We were impressed by the way the local population has embraced the Pickled Onion, and integrated Valerie into the life of their community. Don't miss the chance to stay at this unique B and B if you are anywhere in the vicinity.

Room Tip: Choose whichever room Valerie says!
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
pickMerida, Owner at The Pickled Onion B&B / Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 30 December 2013

Thank you so much for your comments and so happy that you enjoyed your stay here at The Pickled Onion ... Visiting a real Maya village is really an eyeopener for foreigners but the accepting comes with time as with anywhere one tends to travel and put up roots.If you treat people the way you like to be treated yourself then all is well . I am sure too if you had stayed longer there may even have been an invitation for you to enter into their homes... they are very gracious hosts.
When ever you decide to return there will always be a welcome for you here
Take care and have more wonderful adventures along your life,s journey
En lek Ech

The Flycatcher Inn B&B Boutique Hotel Uxmal
Eco-Hotel Nueva Altia
Eco-Hotel Nueva Altia
#1 of 1 in Santa Elena

Been to The Pickled Onion B&B / Restaurant? Share your experiences!