“Perfect!!”

Ranked #1 of 2 Santa Elena B&B and Inns
Bozeman, Montana
“Perfect!!”
Reviewed 2 April 2014

What an idyllic spot! Our Palapa was spacious, comfortable and quiet. The pool area was cool and relaxing. The breakfast was beautifully presented and delicious. Finally, Valerie and her staff were so friendly and helpful. We'll be back!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
pickMerida, Owner at The Pickled Onion B&B / Restaurant, responded to this review, 3 April 2014
Thank you Judy for taking the time to write a review...
I am so happy you enjoyed your stay here and that you got to see the ruins of Uxmal and the surrounding area. I feel so lucky to be living in such a peaceful place and lucky that I have guests like yourself.... that appreciate the tranquility of it all
Take care and have more wonderful adventures
Valerie

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
Birmingham, Alabama
Reviewed 2 April 2014

My two sons (ages 9 and 12) and I stayed at the lovely, unique Pickled Onion for two nights in the beginnings of a 10-day Yucatan journey. We arrived at the hotel on an early evening, saw Uxmal, Sayil and the Chocolate Museum the next day, then Kabah the morning after that, at which point it was time to move on. All of these sites are within a half hour of the Pickled Onion - it is perfectly located to enjoy these sites.

The hotel's individual bungalows are arranged on a hill about a pool and restaurant on a hill on the way out of the small town of Santa Elena. The bungalows are traditional Mayan construction, and are comfortable and cool. Our room was the largest, I believe - with two double beds and a single, along with the capacity to hang two hammocks inside, and an outdoor hammock. The room was clean, spacious and comfortable.

The onsite restaurant is a good value. One does not feel "trapped" as one sometimes does in choosing to eat at the hotel restaurant. The quality was very good, and it was lovely to be able to just walk a few steps for a meal. The breakfast provided to B & B guests is composed of lovely fruits, yogurt, cheeses, toasts made of good quality bread and, for a small extra cost, some egg dishes

I would offer a caution about the bathroom. It didn't bother us, but do know going in, as other reviewers have noted, that the bathroom "wall" doesn't go all the way up, and sound does travel. This doesn't affect my rating, because it didn't bother us, but other potential guests would probably want to know.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Thank you so much for your comments on Tripadvisor . That was really nice of you to take the time to do this
Just one comment about the bathrooms because of the typical construction of the Maya Casitas it is not possible to build a high wall , as one could with a square block cement building, because there is no support system to sustain such a high wall.
The ceilings are very high with the Palapa roofs to give an air flow which keeps the rooms cool.
In a way it adds to the charm of the typical Maya rooms( although the Maya houses did not have the luxury of a bathroom).
But all in all your comments were very welcomed
Indianapolis, Indiana
Reviewed 1 April 2014

We've stayed at the Pickled Onion twice now and in the future will always try to work in a night or two with Valerie at the P.O. It is truly a labor of love on Valerie's part. Beautiful, lush landscaping, mucho privacy, great rooms (actually individual huts), wonderful fresh food, great staff, and convenient to all the Puuc area. Also, each time we've stayed there we've met wonderful people who have become friends long after our trips are done. Oh, I forgot - great pool!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
pickMerida, Owner at The Pickled Onion B&B / Restaurant, responded to this review, 2 April 2014
It was a great pleasure for me also to have you here again for a second time...two most delightful people to have here with me .
And you met another lovely couple that you bonded with ... how nice
I hope to see you again in the near future you will always be welcomed
St. Petersburg, Florida
Reviewed 29 March 2014 via mobile

We ran into this place on our way to visit the local Mayan ruins. The food was fantastic. I had a combination Plate that had a little bit of everything. The tacos we're great and the enchilada was tasty. Everything was fresh and quickly served. To top it off they serve coke and diet coke in glass bottles. Nothing tastes better on a hot day in the Yucatan!

The owner is from the United Kingdom but the experience is absolutely authentic Yucatan.

Stayed March 2014
pickMerida, Owner at The Pickled Onion B&B / Restaurant, responded to this review, 30 March 2014
Thank you for your lovely revue and I am so happy you enjoyed the Yucatan dishes and thumbs up to you for trying them.
I used to buy the coke in plastic then I thought this is silly really with all the garbage it creates so I decided to go to with the glass bottles and you are right the flavour is so much better.
I hope one day you can return meanwhile wherever you go I hope you have good memories
Reviewed 18 March 2014

From the moment we arrived, Valerie and her team made us feel very welcomed- just what we needed after a long drive from Cancun! We arrived to find that we had been given a free upgrade, to the first of the rooms built- Ya'ax Nah.

The room was beautifully decorated and was built in a traditional Mayan style, with very tasteful modern furnishings and all the facilities we needed (the fridge and coffee machine were a very welcome surprise). The internet connection in our room was fast and reliable, and the surrounding grounds were wonderful.

The meal we had at the restaurant was fantastic- easily the best meal we had on our entire holiday. We felt the prices were reasonable (given that we were in the middle of the jungle!) and the service was excellent. The food itself was delicious and cooked to perfection.

We had a fantastic night's sleep and were disappointed to have to check out the following morning. However, before we left we were treated to a wonderful breakfast, including fruit, yoghurt, toast, Yucatán honey and a selection of teas. I just wish that we could have stayed an additional night in the tranquil surroundings of the Pickled Onion!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
pickMerida, Owner at The Pickled Onion B&B / Restaurant, responded to this review, 20 March 2014
Thank you so much for your wonderful revue... I cannot thank you enough for taking the time to write to tripadvisor ..... So happy you enjoyed the 'jungle' experience and it was a great pleasure to have you here.... Great that we now have internet in all the rooms... and yes on the whole it works great.... better than most places out here in the jungle...
I hope you do make it back one day to see more changes coming to The Pickled Onion
i hope you have many more happy memories of future travels
Surrey, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 March 2014

It probably wasn't the best choice for me as I am not 'at one' with nature. However, I have given it a 'very good' rating as I think overall the place is lovely.

The little palapa huts are cute, spacious, well furnished & I think the owner has done a great job of creating a special place but I just don't do insects in a room where I sleep. The windows are covered with mosquito netting but there are massive gaps between the roof and walls which have a bit of netting strewn in but it's not enough to fill the large spaces. At night, little biting flying things (and crawling things for that matter) easily find their way in attracted by the light.

So, my dislike of insects aside, it was a clean room, comfortable bed & amazing to see the stars at night - pitch black & I've never seen stars so clearly. The location is good - just outside the town on the main road (a bit noisy but not too bad). There's nothing in the town and I think this is really the only place you can eat, apart from some little snack joints.

The gardens are pretty & the pool appealing. Breakfast was excellent. Wi-fi in the restaurant only - it's a bit hit and miss. Dinner was OK - nothing special but given there is little alternative, it was good to be able to have it on site.

The owner & staff are friendly enough but I didn't feel their attitude was especially 'customer service' oriented. One pair of diners (not staying at the hotel) asked to use the wi-fi whilst they waited for their food but were refused. Getting some ice in order to have a glass of cold water in the room was a challenge - given reluctantly. I know maximising profit is key but happy customers go along way to achieveing that!

On the whole I didn't enjoy my stay & was glad to leave beacuse it wasn't the place for me - but that's just me & I know many others would love the unusual experience.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
pickMerida, Owner at The Pickled Onion B&B / Restaurant, responded to this review, 12 March 2014
You did mention to me at the very start that you did not like insects of any kind... unfortunately we cannot control mother nature and I have done my best to secure the rooms as much as I can.The openness of the roofs in the rooms are to allow air flow and as the roofs are so tall insects would not normally fly so high.Yes your are correct that the light does attract insects again which is quite unavoidable due to the location of being in the jungle.
Apart from having internet in the restaurant and breakfast patio ALL the rooms have internet service and the information is on the front cover of the book we supply in each room showing you how to connect. Again the service can be disrupted due to the location... the service has to come from another town and has to be transported by DSL over hills and vales . It has taken 4 years of working really hard to get the service we have now.... I am usually on the internet constantly and have no issues only when cell connection is down which is what happened a couple of days ago. Again I have no control over this issue
I used to reserve internet for guests only as a perk but since my server for internet has installed a stronger single, we now give it free... so I was surprised when you mentioned that people were refused service as it was only two weeks ago I gave the go ahead to give out the password free of charge.But I will mention again to the staff.
Santa Elena is a small village and with any village life one does not get the city amenities . Part of the experience coming here is to see how the real Maya people live.To experience living in the jungle
Refrigerators are in all rooms with free water so that clients can utilize, for their convenience ,including making ice for your drinks . Our supply of ice is rather limited again due to the location .
You did not, however mention that your spouse was quite delighted in being here which was obvious when we chatted at breakfast time.So to be fair I feel that this is only a onesided comment .
i hope your stay in Cancun Hotel Zone proved to more to your liking .
Cambridge
Reviewed 7 March 2014

We traveled from Cancun to the Pickled Onion and what a worthwhile journey. I was most definitely left breathless from my surroundings. Our family of four had a fabulous sleep in the Woolis Nah (Round House). I had expected to hear complaints from my 11 and 12 year old but they had a fantastic time and loved hanging out in the hammocks. The food was fantastic and the staff an absolute delight, the rooms spotless and we wanted for nothing. There is a fridge and safe in the rooms as well. We didn't have time to utilize the pool this time. We truly felt that we had the opportunity to see and experience the culture of our surroundings. The Pickled Onion is a secret oasis and I know that our family will be back only next time we will ensure we have more time to spend at this lovely oasis.

Room Tip: There is a room for everyone. The website has quite accurate information as well as pictures to help...