“Perfectly just off the beaten track”

The Pickled Onion B&B / Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 2 Santa Elena B&B and Inns
Reviewed 17 January 2011

We visited The Pickled Onion on a recommendation from the excellent Ellyne at Cascadas de Merida. Valerie, the owner of The Pickled Onion met us and showed us our adobe lodgings, with vast bed and rusticall-styled on-suite.

There's a tranquil pool, where the local swallows skim for drinks, but the real drinks come from the terrace. A strong margherita goes down just fine with the thoughtfully flavoured cuisine.

The location of The Pickled Onion is just right (10 mins' drive away) from Uxmal, which means that you can wake refreshed and get to see the impressive ruins before the crowds.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank OxfordChilterns
There are newer reviews for The Pickled Onion B&B / Restaurant

Reviewed 23 December 2010

Nothing could have been better. Everything came together like a swiss clock. The accomodations, the restruant, the staff (or should we say friends), the food, the wonderfuil conversations each night about the ruins over dinner. Stay here. You won't be dissapointed.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank JoyandDougJohnson
Reviewed 30 September 2010

We stayed at The Pickled Onion for only one night, but had we had time I would have stayed at least another day. The garden and pool are lovely, the owner Valerie is kind and helpful, the staff is friendly, the food is good, the prices are quite reasonable, and the place is just feels kind of magical. Authentically Mexican.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank sb59
Reviewed 19 June 2010

We spent two nights at Valerie s "Pickled Onion", or "la Cebolla" as the people of Santa Elena call it. We came there, because most of the other hotels in Uxmal are quite expensive. The Pickled Onion however, offers ar an excellent value. It is a rustic place, so don t expect TV or other fancy things in the rooms, they are basic, but what else do you need and the place is very well maintained, taken care of an clean. It is about 15 minutes from Uxmal by car. I would also like to recommend Valerie s cuisine, she is an excellent cook and everything is homemade, fresh and healthy. Valerie also did our laundry, for a good price aswell. Thank you for everything. Oh, and I loved her garden. Full of beautiful flowers and thousands of butterflies.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 May 2010

Let me say that I personally own a popular successful restaurant in a resort community and I follow my trip advisor reviews carefully. I also travel quite a bit. however, this is the first time I have felt compelled to post a review myself based upon my experience at another restaurant.
We stopped at the Pickled Onion at our driver Roger's recommendation after a morning at Uxmal. What a treat! The meal was the best I had in mexico in a spotlessly clean, bright, personality filled setting. The beer was COLD! The conversation with Valerie the owner was fun. And the camote was delicious. I looked for camote everyday the rest of my stay No luck. I'll have to go back to St. Elena I guess. We did not stay as we had a house rented in nearby Merida but the casitas were darling and clever and I wished to stay for at least one night.

Stayed: May 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank jsmithEdistoIsland
Reviewed 11 May 2010

My partner and I arrived early at another Hotel in Santa Elena, when we saw the Pickled Onion and I was drawn to it straight away. I wasn´t to happy about the other Hotel but we only slept there. We couldn´t stay at the Pickled Onion because it was fully booked.( I can understand why. ). My partner and I went out each day to explore the area but we always came back to the Pickled Onion for late lunch and evening meal. The food was always cooked to perfection and we always had an ice cold beer in chilled glasses.
We also had full use of the pool, which was very refreshing after being out all day in the hot dry sun. The gardens were absolutely beautiful and there were plenty of places that you could relax or read a book in the shade.
Valerie who is the owner of the Pickled Onion is one of the nicest and inspirational ladies I have ever met. Although there were other people staying at the Hotel, she always managed to talk with every one and not leave anybody out.
Valerie is very knowledgeable about the whole of the Yucatan and it´s rich Mayan History.
I would recommend staying and eating at Valeries Hotel, and my partner and I will definitley return and stay at The Pickled Onion.
Thank you for a wonderful time Valerie and can´t wait to see you soon.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 April 2010

We only used the pickled onion as a restaurant and loved the pool and internet access. We were staying at the flycatcher Inn, just down the street and since they had no pool and it was hot, I just had to get in the pool The owner was kind, friendly, and she is also the cook. We ate there several times and each time was great. So odd to have a restaurant that offers a pool but what do I know. I never knew she had a few cabanas until I was getting ready to write this review. Judging from everything else, I would not hesitate to stay at one of these cabanas. She did not charge us for internet access or the pool. We just hung out under the palapas, ate, swam and surfed the net. No pressure just pure good time. So if you ever get to Santa Elena, stop by and say hello to Valerie who sleeps in a hammock and is a very nice lady. Next time I visit the area, I will be sure to stay in one of her cabanas.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled as a couple
Hotel Puuc
Hotel Puuc
#1 of 1 in Oxkutzcab
The Flycatcher Inn B&B Boutique Hotel Uxmal

Been to The Pickled Onion B&B / Restaurant? Share your experiences!