“Excellent teachers, great homestay, lovely city!”

Adelita Language School
Spanish Lessons in Guanajuato
Ranked #307 of 279 things to do in Guanajuato
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Private & Group Spanish Classes. We also offer Trimester & Semester Program available all-year-round. Cultural Immersion Program & Intensive Program. Spanish classes for children also available. Agua Fuerte 56 is located next to a furniture store "Rangel mueblería" which is located by Mercado Emabajadoras
Pittsburgh, PA, United States
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Excellent teachers, great homestay, lovely city!”
Reviewed 3 September 2012

The school:
I spent two weeks at Adelita this summer and couldn't have been more impressed with the caliber of the teachers. My trip began when two of the teachers, Rolando and Luis, came to pick me up at the Leon airport (cheaper than a taxi!). I realized later that during our casual conversation on the 30 minute drive, the two were not only getting to know me, but were assessing what I knew and didn't know in Spanish. (No need for a formal entry exam!) From then forward, I found them both to be very attentive to the gaps in my knowledge and I was impressed by their ability to recalibrate the class based on these gaps. I came to Guanajuato with limited Spanish knowledge, but pretty good Italian and was amazed at how they helped me to both capitalize on what is the same between the two languages and to navigate the differences. Both teachers also impressed me with their knowledge of linguistics (Luis and I somehow got into a discussion of pragmatics on the first day of class) and of grammer (Rolando wrote the grammar book for the teachers at Escuela Mexicana back when he worked there.)

R and L also use lots of really good teacher practices, like incorporating vocab lessons into conversation or grammar lessons (rather than wasting class time going through decontextualized word lists). My two housemates at my homestay - more on that below - were taking classes at Escuela Mexicana and while they both really liked the school and many of the teachers, one complaint was that they switched teachers many times during the day and that often teachers who were less familiar with them would ask what THEY wanted to work on. My housemates felt that if they already knew what they needed to work on, they wouldn't need teachers! Part of a teacher's job is to assess and to know what students need even when they themselves do not know. Luis and Rolando were excellent in that respect and having a small school allowed them to know us well as students.

The other teacher at Adelita is Esme. I only had Esme for one class on one day, but if I go back, I will definitely request to have her again as well - she had great energy and keep class moving fast, but in a good way.

The homestay:
So, I called my host mother "mama" the whole time I was there, which I'd say is a good indicator of how I felt about her. Maria Concepcion was AWESOME. There were two other students staying with her during the time I was there and the four of us would sit for forever at breakfast and at our afternoon meal laughing and talking. This was seriously a huge part of my Spanish learning. She was such a good conversation partner - equal parts patience, knowing when to correct us and when not to, and sense of humor (knowing when to laugh at our mistakes with us!). Maria has three adult children and you can tell she was a great mother to them too. I got sick for two days when I was there and she was right there with gatorade, saltines, tea, and a massive DVD collection. She also has a book that her student guests sign when they leave and you can see that I am not the only one who felt this way about her! The other two girls and I are already talking about a reunion tour at Maria's next year!

The city: You can read about Gto in lots of places, so I just want to say from a language-learning perspective that everyone was friendly and helpful. I found myself asking waiters "Wait, it is por or para in that sentence I just said to you?" and everyone was happy to help and happy to hear I was there studying Spanish. The town is both small enough to be manageable (and to get to know waiters, bartenders, etc), but large enough that I will be able to discover new things next time I go back. And it is so pretty! I made friends there who rented gorgeous hilltop apartments with great terraces and views for really reasonable prices. (We decided that it was a wash - homestays give the language practice and quick easy entry into life in the city, apartments more of a vacation feel and more privacy.)

Bottom line: I felt like I was on a vacation, but with a purpose - plenty of time for tequila and museums, but I also learned lots of Spanish. THREE THUMBS UP for Adelita and Gto.

Visited August 2012
12 Thank Katie B

Seattle, Washington
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“A language school that's both good and cares”
Reviewed 11 May 2012

I chose Adelita after interviewing different schools once I got here and settled in Guanajuato for 3 months. I made a really good choice. The teachers range from very good to absolutely excellent, and they really care that you progress. They all have university degrees in Spanish Letters, and extensive teaching experience. And something else important to me: they are flexible with their schedule and private/group class structure, trying their best to customize your program to your needs and the other things in your life. Their "customer service" is impressive, and this from someone who is a stickler for that. Plus, the teachers are sweet, kind and fun. They also provide different kinds of outings, like attending concerts and going on hikes. I will definitely return if I come back to Guanajuato.

Visited April 2012
3 Thank Dawn399
Montreal
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“Having fun in Guanajuato and learning Spanish along the way”
Reviewed 25 February 2012

Friends think I am crazy to spend my 2 weeks vacation time attending Spanish classes in Guanajuato, but what they can't possibly fathom until they try it themselves is how much more you get out of a visit to Mexico if you "live" the language and culture while there. Adelita Language School makes sure that you come away with a better understanding of both the Spanish language and the rich Mexican culture. The small class size of 3 - 4 students allows for plenty of individual attention from highly educated Spanish language teachers - their love for the language is infectious - you can't help but thirst for more ! The extra-curricular activities show off the beautiful city of Guanajuato as well as give you a glimpse into the many aspects of daily life for the young at heart !

2 Thank MontrealSuper_Mom
Kelowna, Canada
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 72 helpful votes
“Great Choice in Guanajuato”
Reviewed 25 February 2012

During our recent stay in Guanajuato, we had the opportunity to enroll in Spanish lessons at the Adelita Language School, based on a recommendation from a local resident. We found the school to be professionally run, and the lessons well-prepared by instructors who really cared about their students and who took the time to explain concepts as needed, including the incorporation of some Mexican history and culture into the lessons.

Classes can be structured to meet the needs of the students so that students can have early morning or later sessions from one hour per day to full day in length. Since we were staying about a half hour's walk from the school, we did not want early morning nor full day classes. The Adelita Language School was able to accommodate our needs and provide us with a great learning experience.

Our classes were small, which made for more individualized instruction and were held in a pleasant setting outside on the terrace, where we could take full advantage of the nice weather. The school also organized optional field trips and a cooking class, which further added to the overall experience.

The Adelita Language School met all of our expectations and if we are back in Guanajuato again next year, we will definitely enroll in more classes, to continue building on our knowledge of the language. Many thanks to our instructors, Rolando and Luis!!

2 Thank Robert B
Mosier, Oregon
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Great learning and great fun”
Reviewed 6 February 2012

I have studied languages in other countries all my life, but studying at the Adelita language school in Guanajuato has been one of my most favorite study experiences. The professors there love to teach and they seem deeply invested in your progress with the Spanish language and with your understanding of the Mexican culture. They keep the classes very small so you are always getting a lot of focused, individualized attention. They are also very flexible and encourage lots of conversation. Our class sometimes would dive into a lively discussion about Mexican politics instead of working on the subjunctive tense. I was there for one month and they offered about 2 outings or special cultural events a week. We hiked the hills above town, we cooked a wonderful Mexican dinner, we explored the "real" cantinas of town, we attended local music and art events--lots of stuff that other tourists never get to experience. They organize the activities according to the interests of the students attending at the time. I attended one of the larger language schools in Guanajuato two years ago, and I was so much happier and more comfortable at Adelita.

3 Thank kfitzz