Not for the first time have photographs and other material on an establishment's website seemed far more inviting than the reality.
We booked for one night on the strength of what we had seen on the Dundas' site and were looking forward to a pleasant stay. The canalside setting is indeed a delight, the garden in a good state and at first glance the building itself looked attractive. On entering, however, the shortcomings immediately presented themselves; a shoddy entrance, an even shabbier staircase and a room that looked as though it had not been cleaned for quite some time and which had a faint smell of stale cigarette smoke. The room was a decent size but poorly furnished and lit; its one tiny window facing the canal made it very dark and the sash would not close. The window was in poor condition generally. The bed, at least, was comfortable and the bed linen quite acceptable. The room price of £120, however, was far from acceptable given what we found. The food was very variable; a pumpkin soup was inedible and had to be sent back. The wine selection was OK and, although there were no half bottles, the number of wines available by the glass was quite good.The staff were most pleasant and did all that they could to be accommodating and helpful.
In its lovely setting, the Dundas could be a rip-roaring success but only if properly managed and cared for. We won't be staying again until and unless this happens.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Dundas Arms is a country dining pub perched on a sliver of land sandwiched between the River Kennet and the Kennet and Avon canal. We offer 8 beautifully appointed en-suite rooms where home from home comfort with a modern twist is our philosophy. Each of our rooms features stunning Barnaby Gates wallpaper, lavish curtains, country house style furnitures, high quality linen, handmade Bramley toiletries, flat screen TVs and free Wi-Fi. Many of the rooms also come with their own private terrace overlooking the canal. The pub is filled with nooks and crannies complete with an antique penny bar, large fireplaces and nicely decorated dining rooms.You will find traditional pub classic dishes sitting alongside finer dining a la carte dishes in the restaurant. Our Chef uses the best quality ingredients locally sourced. We are proud to have recently received a Dinner award and 4 Stars for our accommodation by the AA. We are also part of Pub group of the year 2016 by The Good Pub Guide. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, Expedia, LateRooms and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your The Dundas Arms reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Dundas Arms Hotel Kintbury
- The Dundas Arms Kintbury, Berkshire