“A Hidden Gem - and worth a visit”
Review of The Old Barn

The Old Barn
Ranked #7 of 10 Restaurants in Felpham
Price range: US$6 - US$26
Cuisines: Mediterranean, Contemporary, British, Gastropub
Good for: Local cuisine, Groups
Dining options: Reservations
Description: A lovely 18th Century thatched building, traditional flagstone flooring. Outside seating. Serving modern British and European cuisine, made in house. Great Real ales served by our friendly and dedicated team.
Bognor Regis, United Kingdom
“A Hidden Gem - and worth a visit”
Reviewed 30 May 2014

Deciding that we would go out for a quick lunch my husband remembered seeing a board outside a pub/restaurant that we used to visit years before advertising fresh fish dishes. Being a devotee of anything "fishy" we decided to give it a go.

What a lovely surprise we got - we found out that it had been twelve years since we were last there - renovations were the clue and we were shocked about how long it had been-. Anyway, I had bass with a salad and new potatoes. Absolutely delicious. The chef obviously knows how to get the best out of fish without having to smother it in an unnecessary sauce. My husband changed his mind about fish and had Ham, Egg and chips (lunchtime favourite of his). We both enjoyed our meals very much.

The landlady was very chatty and pleasant and although there was only one other couple in the restaurant ( it was 1.45 and I guess much of the lunchtime trade had been and gone) we enjoyed being back there. Service was very good.

The fish is fresh daily, and we will certainly be going back to try some more (and because the daily catch varies, I may be tempted to try something different).

Downside, I am a "let's match everything up" type. And there are some beautiful wooden dining chairs, but mixed at the tables, and it would look so much nicer if the sets, were just that, sets put together. The odd table of mixed would be okay - but this is me being obsessive.

Well worth a visit and we will go back and try an evening meal.

• Visited May 2014
1 Thank patricia G

West Sussex, England
“Beyond expectations”
Reviewed 29 November 2013 via mobile

I visited the pub/restaurant with my brother who had said the food would be great. Well he didnt lie, the food was exceptional.

I have eaten in many restaurants and try new ones each month and not all leave a lasting memory. However this place does! I tried the venison for the first time and it was beautifully cooked. For the price of just £11, I was astounded by the quality of the cooking and how it is all locally sourced. For a small-medium pub in a little village the chef is sure making his mark and I will recommend it to friends and work ossociates (those I havent already)!

Yes there are some little niggles some people dont seem to like, but you cannot please eveyone! The decor is not fantastic but when the food is this good I wasnt worrying about the furnishing! If you want to enjoy a lovely cooked meal to an exceptional standard without breaking the bank, I suggest you visit the old barn.

3 Thank Rebecca157
Littlehampton, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great quality food, but...”
Reviewed 29 November 2013

We visited the Barn for a traditional roast beef Sunday lunch, and whilst the quality of the meat and vegetables were superb, I would have preferred a traditional beef stock gravy to the red wine jus, which I felt somewhat spoilt the flavour of the roast potatoes and Yorkshire pudding. My wife however loved the jus on her roast lamb. Perhaps the chef would consider offering a traditional gravy option.

As regards the temperature of the restaurant, we saw no trace of the fan heater mentioned in a previous review, and although it was really cold outside, the whole pub was lovely and warm.

1 Thank Millfield777
Brighton, United Kingdom
“Fantastic food”
Reviewed 19 November 2013

Really enjoyed the food which was very reasonably priced. I had the hake - it came with a gorgeous sweet pea purée and tartar sauce was clearly made from scratch... You can tell the chef takes a lot of care over the details... Wish I could have tried a dessert as menu sounded gorgeous - baby was playing up so had to leave early :-(... Friendly service too!

Chichester, United Kingdom
“Cold atmosphere and overrated”
Reviewed 18 November 2013

We have visited this pub a few times over the past few months and have to say our last visit will be our last visit. Not only was it so cold, we had to keep our coats on. It seems a small electric fan heater was being used to warm up this empty stone built building. We looked at the menu and saw some food brought out to another couple, and whilst the food looked good, it seemed very overpriced for what it was. This is a pub trying to be a restaurant but its just a pub. If you want posh nosh in a cold barn and no atmosphere, its just the place, but we would prefer traditional pub food next to a real fire. Having read the other reviews we feel very dissapointed and for this reason we shall not return.

1 Thank jcooledge25