“Fantastic holiday”

Michamvi Sunset Bay Resort
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Michamvi
Reviewed 26 March 2012

My wife and I had the most incredible week at this hotel. We left the kids behind and let the sun tan our backs while we snorkelled and swam in the warm Indian ocean, where the underwater visibility was close on 40 meters and the underwater world so colourful and divergent! It was truly amazing.
The best thing about this hotel, as far as I'm concerned, is that it offers seclusion and exclusivity, without giving the impression of isolation.
Zanzibar is generally a bustle of informal trade, with a cosmopolitan population, transient tourists and rural farming or fishing villagers. Michamvi Sunset Bay offers a great window to all of this without being stuck in the middle of it. The hotel is small enough and is well run to generate a homely feeling, and to enable visitors like us to feel a bit like family, not just a number, as can be the case in big resorts where you can get lost trying to find your room!
It is ideally located on a westward facing eastern seaboard side of the Island, on the Indian ocean side. It offers great value access to the best of pristine Zanzibar while being far enough away not to be in the noise, hustle and bustle of the crowds, the tourists or the "beach-boys" who are continually trying to sell something.
The hotel management catered to our every whim, with the highlight being our anniversary dinner on the beach with a bonfire, our own Chef and a personal waitress. The seafood platter was simply enormous, and the food was delicious.
The food was sumptious and fresh, with fruits of good quality and variety. The fresh Crab was scrumptious, and the soups were superb! The fish was great, but maybe a littly dry and overcooked at times, but it was all tasty and we never needed any tummy pills!
The rooms were comfortable and clean, with both Aircon and fans in good working order. The beds were good quality and the towels & linen always clean, so our sleeps were restful and refreshing. The bathroom was amazing, fittings are good quality and we loved the spacious double shower after a few hours in the hot sun!
The beach is right there, in front at the bar, and there is no need to march for miles to get to the water! We walked for several kilometers up towards the point and we were the only people there! A deserted tropical Island paradise indeed!
These guys really under promise, and over deliver!
I hope we can get back there soon.

Room Tip: Upstairs rooms offer the best views.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Martin F

Reviewed 28 February 2012

I went to Michamvi Sunset Bay Resort for Christmas & New Year 2011/2012 & it completely exceeded my expectations! I travel for work hence I have stayed in many B&B's & hotels, the world over & this resort was right up their. It has an idyllic setting, the staff go out of their way to please you, the rooms are great, super housekeeping, fantastic & ample food, beach dinners, long beach walks, water sports on offer, and the list goes on & on..... Brad (the manager) & his team truly made our stay - they will go out of their way to organise anything from free watersport gear, to a plaster to an impromptu wedding!!! Yes, our friends decided to get married on the beach & gave the Resort 24hours notice -they made magic & it was the most romantic wedding I've been to!! Whether you are with friends or just a couples- you will love Michamvi Sunset Bay Resort. I never thought I could have a Tropical holiday & this resort made it possible!!

Room Tip: All the rooms have a pool & sea view...
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with friends
3  Thank Natalie H
Reviewed 22 February 2012

We've been to Michamvi Sunset Bay twice- most recently we spent two weeks there over this past Christmas and New Years with a group of friends. I would find it very difficult to go anywhere else in Zanzibar! It truly has everything and beyond what I'd wish for. It's small enough that it doesn't have a commercial 'resorty' feel, and yet has the comforts of a larger resort- fantastic service, fresh towels always available next to the pool, watersport equipment can be signed out at any time, fast wifi, kids meals made early and delivered to your room if you want, babysitting organized if you plan to leave the resort which we did a couple of times to check out some beach parties...the list goes on. All the rooms have direct access to a huge swimming pool and in front of it the most beautiful secluded stretch of beachfront. The bar is on the beach looking out over the water which comes all the way up at high tide.The food is delicious, with a lot of variety. The fresh fish and crab is superb, as are the fresh vegetable dishes and soups, and sometimes they setup dinner buffets right on the beach next to a bonfire just for a change of scenery. Brad the manager runs things so smoothly you forget anything could go wrong. He organizes anything extra you need or ask for with complete ease, including things like birthday and wedding cakes at the drop of a hat :) And tons of options in terms of tours, swimming with the dolphins, snorkeling etc. Very safe and interesting place for young kids also- our four year old made friends with other kids who were there and swam and ran around with them every day. Highly recommended, a completely relaxing and energizing paradise getaway!

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with friends
4  Thank Tamsin A
Reviewed 15 February 2012

Just got back from a week at the Michamvi Sunset Resort - AMAZING
The staff were fantastic. The food was "interesting" but you still felt safe eating it. The accommodation was clean comfortable. The beer was cold and the sea was warm. What more coud you ask for.
The guys were great at advising and sorting excursions anywhere on the Island and the vehicles all felt safe, clean and cool.
All in all I would strongly recomend Micahmvi Sunset Resort to anyone looking for a tropical get away.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
3  Thank Ian W
Reviewed 1 February 2012

If you are looking for a large, impersonal resort this isn't for you. If you prefer a quaint boutique resort experience where the manager and his staff go out of their way to make a great holiday for you, look no further.

We spent Dec 28, 2011 - Jan 1, 2012 at this great resort after our nine day safari. It was a perfect way to cap off our trip of a lifetime.

Upon check-in where we were greeted by the manager Brad and his staff with a refreshing drink, we quickly realized we were at a really cool place. Everything was organized and smooth. We asked about some of the adventure trips, swimming with dolphins, snorkeling and fishing. No problem. Brad then asked if our kids knew how to snorkel and when he found out they didn't he said he'd would teach them in the pool himself. What service! He was really great with the kids and they had a great first time snorkeling experience.

The resort has 20 rooms that all open up to the pool and the ocean. We were fortunate to have a ground room floor so the kids could easily go from the room to the pool and beach as often as they'd like. The room was very clean and was well taken care of. It is really well laid out resort.

The food was excellent. The staff was always available and very friendly. They had just completed their new beautiful super high ceiling thatched roof bar. It was very comfortable and inviting.

New Year's Eve was a really cool event. They brought in some great entertainment from Stone Town and had really nice party. All of the guests were engaged and had a great time. As it is a smaller resort, it really had a nice community feel. The staff was dancing and singing as were many of the guests.

The service went way above what was expected. Unfortunately, my son came down with stomach cramps the second night we were there (something he had gotten on the way to Michamvi) and was really struggling. It continued to get worse the next day. Brad, the manager, sent one of his staff into town to get some medicine for him. He continued to check on him and was genuinely concerned. He offered to have the kitchen make up special meals if he preferred and have them delivered to our room. I was really impressed over this.

Sooo... if you can't tell by now, I am a big fan of Michamvi and I HIGHLY RECOMMEND IT. Not only was it a really cool facility, the staff and personalized service were off the charts. They were very good at what they do and it was obvious they enjoy their jobs.

Thanks again to the team at Michamvi Sunset Bay.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
5  Thank cmsimmons
Reviewed 25 January 2012

Michamvi Sunset Bay is probably one of the best places I have ever been. The location is perfect, the staff are freindly, the food is great, the rooms are fantastic, and the owners/managers are legends! Infact, I didn’t actually want to write a review, as I'd prefer to keep this place a secret!!

Even before we arrived, I was impressed. Reason is, my fiancé and I planned for a trip to Zanzibar, to get us there in September. Unfortunately, our Precision Air flight never took off, and we were forced to cancel the whole trip, and rebook with 1time. Even though it was last minute, Michamvi were happy to move our booking to later in the year, with absolutely no extra charge. Once we eventually arrived in November, things just carried on the positive side.

Here are a few of our good experiences there:

Sunsets: Michamvi is located in the Michamvi Bay. So, even though you are on the East side of the island, the bay is West facing, so every night you get to watch a perfect sunset (no need to drive all the way to Africa House in Stonetown!!).

Dinner on the beach: If the tide is right, the staff move all the tables and chairs out onto the sand, and you have dinner under the stars, on the beach, with a massive bonfire. It's incredible.

Equipment: There is a wide variety of equipment available, we took bicycles out and explored the Bay on sand, took kayaks out and explored the bay on water, and snorkels/goggles and reef boots are included too. There's even a surfboard, but I have a feeling this is just Brad living in hope that some swell will one day push through into the bay!! The one day we took a kayak out to do some snorkeling, and we tipped. When we tipped, we lost one of the flippers we had borrowed. I was expecting to have to pay for the loss, but when I told Brad he was totally relaxed, and just told me not to stress.

Tours and their Prices: Michamvi also organise day trips, using a guy called Ali. Ali is a legend. I had done my homework, and had received a number of a local who was offering tours, since I had heard that the resort tours where often exorbitant. Well, this was not the case with Michamvi. I did a comparison with my supposed "cheaper" local, and Michamvi's tours were cheaper! And definitely better. Ali is a brilliant guide, with excellent English.

Excellent management: Lastly, we had forgotten to organise a transfer to the airport. Once again, Brad had a relaxed attitude and told us he was heading into Stonetown, was also going to be dropping off the other Owner, Gordon, at the airport. He said we could just jump in his car, at no charge. With other hotels charging 100USD for this service, these guys were happy for us to just jump in their car.

Above are just some of our personal experiences. You will not be disappointed with Michamvi. I genuinely got the feeling that the Michamvi owners/managers enjoy living where they do, and love to share the experience with their guests. Money appears to be an afterthought. I can't wait to go back!

Andre and Andrea

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Andre v
Reviewed 23 January 2012

Sunset Bay is a nice and small resort in a beautiful tropical setting’. It has a nice bar (no loud music), the rooms are spacious and clean. The food was nice, especially lunch and dinner. The beaches, situated directly in front of the resort, are “postcard” white. If you like you can walk safely for hours on the beaches without meeting other people. As other people already mentioned the staff is very friendly and helpful. A few tips. If you who want to visit Stone Town – which is really worth visiting – be aware of the fact that it’s a one hour’s drive (at least) from the resort to the center of Stone Town. Consider a short stay in Stone Town for one or two nights before relaxing and enjoying the beautiful beaches and the sun. Have lunch or dinner in the nearby Rock Restaurant. A stunning place with lovely food and beautiful views. We enjoyed staying in this hotel.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank AdeHaan71
Also consider these accommodations in or near Michamvi
Melia Zanzibar
#3 of 19 in Nungwi
KonoKono Beach Resort
KonoKono Beach Resort
#1 of 5 in Michamvi
Zanzibar White Sand Luxury Villas & Spa (Relais & Chateaux)
Next Paradise Boutique Resort
Next Paradise Boutique Resort
#1 of 6 in Pwani Mchangani

Been to Michamvi Sunset Bay Resort? Share your experiences!