“Peaceful and relaxing”

KonoKono Beach Resort
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Michamvi
Reviewed 20 March 2011

If you want to get away from it all, this is the place to go. It’s quiet sunny and pleasant. Each villa is private and not overlooked by anyone. The rooms are beautifully furnished and clean. Kono Kono beach, less than five minutes walk away from each villa, is a long stretch of the finest powder white sand. The seafood was out of this world, the prawns and lobsters my favourites and I would recommend you order them. In the evenings, we had dinner on the beach, which was so romantic. The staff were also very helpful and pleasant. Nothing was too much trouble.There are no radios, cars and television at Kono Kono and after a week’s break here I felt great.

Reviewed 7 March 2011

We spent nine nights at the Kono Kono Beach Villas. The sand is as fine as flour - and just as white. In the early morning light, before the sun blazed on it, it looked like snow. There is no television, no radio, no shops, no traffic – only bird song, the chatter of monkeys, the calls of bush babies or the sound of crickets. A breeze-cooled spa provides massages or manicures but there is nothing to do but bathe in sun or sea, read or talk. Eat dinner at tables on the beach under the stars. Kono Kono is a perfect place to unwind; to rid oneself of the tensions of everyday life before proceeding to the next stage of your holiday. Kono Kono is Swahili for snail – how appropriate!

Reviewed 25 February 2011

We were celebrating our 10th wedding anniversary here so our expectations were very high and I have to say Kono Kono delivered on every level.

Our sea view villa was the perfect place to start our days, with fantastic breakfasts brought to our patio area every morning - and all hot and freshly cooked to order - whilst we watched the tide go out as the bushbabies jumped from tree to tree, the timid and shy monkeys lurked in the shrub and various birds began their constant chorus of chirping.

The villa itself was beautifully decorated, spacious for two people, comfortable and cleaned to a high level. The complimentary after sun lotions were also a lovely touch. The shower was big enough for two, as probably was the outdoor bath and the view from both the shower and the bath out to the beach was magnificent.

The bed was extremely comfortable, with linen changed daily and the fresh flowers left on the bed saying "enjoy" was a sweet touch.

The plunge pool was cleaned and filled everyday and was the perfect place for dipping in and out when it got too hot.

The night of our anniversary we enjoyed a very special meal on the beach organised by Betty, the manager, and her fabulous team, who made amazing huge hearts out of flowers and palm leaves placed into the sand to make a private area for us, and decorated the chairs - they looked like the Beckham's thrones!!! It was a very special night and I was so touched by the efforts everyone had made, I was close to tears. Thank you everyone at Kono Kono - you gave us a anniversary we'll always remember.

The beach is truly out of this world. I've never walked on sand that feels like sifted icing-sugar! And it's very easy to lose whole days just laying in a hammock or on a comfy sun bed with your head in a book and not a care in the world!

The pool was clean, cool and full!

The service from all the team at Kono Kono was absolutely charming at all times and if I could be back at Kono Kono now, I wouldn't hesitate!

Reviewed 21 February 2011

My wife and I just spent a week here as the third week of our holiday to Tanzania and Zanzibar. On Zanzibar we also stayed at Pongwe and Fumba, all the resorts were lovely in their own way but probably Kono Kono edged it over the other two for peace and tranquility, the villa and definitely the beach which is the best with talcum powder sand,the view (fullsunset), the breeze, the space,no beach boys,etc. ( Pongwe beach gets near and Fumbas nice too ).

I got really stressed about our booking here as there had been a couple of dodgy reviews, all I can say is it that it was unfounded and I think it comes down to expectations and what you actually want.

Kono Kono beach villas is the place to go if you want to be left to your own devices and you want peace and quiet. You don`t really have to see or talk to anybody else at all if you dont want to. All the villas are private with own garden and/or sea view, you can sit outside in the sun or in the shade, they have air conditioning and with the cunning use of some nice net partitioning the bed area is really cool at night. If you go down to the beach, which as I say is gorgeous, even if all the villas are booked and all the guests on the beach, you will still get your own massive space with sunbeds,table,shade and chairs. The beach area in front of the resort is wide and deep and you can also take a walk either way along more white sand. The sand slopes gently into the sea and you can safely swim here with no coral or rocks. When you first see the beach I guarantee you will just go `wow`. There is a bar open all day at the rear of the beach and prices are very reasonable with cocktails from $6 to $9 which seems to be the average everywhere. Wine is from about $23 a bottle.

There is a main restaurant but everybody ate on the beach in the evening with the necessary number of tables scattered around lit with lanterns, very romantic, and with a lovely cool breeze, very comfortable. No need to dress up here either, we went down for dinner barefoot and casual so you dont need many clothes at all as with all the places we stayed.

You can go up to the restaurant for breakfast but nobody does as you can have as much as you like off the breakfast menu and they will bring it to your room or outside on the vearanda and you dont have to choose what you want until you ring them. You also get a great big pot of real coffee. In the room there is a fridge with beers and soft drinks at bar prices and coffee and tea. The rooms are very nicely furnished and big enough to live in,in fact we joked that if you had a couple more bits of furniture and a tv you could actually live there. Outside you have two very comfy tub chairs and two loungers and of course the plunge pool which was clean and full everyday ( As I know they have to ship in some water I think they only fill them up when there are guests in a villa which may account for previous reviews saying some weren`t full ).

With regards staff, they are a lovely bunch and they try really hard to look after you, Bakari the head waiter was especially good and you could have a good laugh with him too. Betty is the manager and she is really friendly and mixes with you in the evening ( if you want ), in fact we dined with her one night. Betty is trying all the time to improve things and I believe there are plans for some refurbishments shortly. If you really do need to use a computer there is free wifi near reception and they will let you use one of there laptops or pc`s free if you need it.

With regards food, breakfast is excellent, they have some nice snacks for lunchtime ( and if you take advantage of the breakfast you wont need lunch ) and the evening meal is normally three courses with a choice of two or three main courses. So with regards the evening meal ( and they will always try and make arrangements ) there is not a mass of variety but the food was good, including rock lobster,king prawns,etc. and ,sorry Betty it was possibly from frozen as opposed to fresh on some occassions, a minor criticism, but it could be improved on. ( although I didn`t hear anybody complaining ).

Whilst on minor negatives and things others have brought up. The bumpy track from the main road is long and winding but most resorts have these sort of tracks and most people will have been on safari so whats different anyway. There were a couple of cosmetic things that needed doing in the room if you were really fussy but didn`t bother us.The main pool would look better if it was an infinity one and I think that is the plan, but it was clean and we swam in it a few times although most people go in the sea anyway. They are improving the gardens all the time with the communal parts maturing nicely. We had a sea view so to make it a sea view they had had to cut down the bush and as this whole area is lava/coral that leaves the bit of garden in front a bit rocky, but it`s natural. Grass was a bit dry too but it hadn`t rained for five months. If you had a garden room you had bush all round you and of course there are bush babys and monkeys ( very shy ) around, and lots of birds.

Nearly forgot, I didn`t partake but my wife and some other guests raved about the massage.

None of the above should make you at all worried about staying here. Of course if you want to dress up and parade around in the evening, meet loads of people and party into the night then spend three hours in the gym in the morning, don`t book Kono Kono, If you want somebody running round organising water aerobics and have music belting out all day, don`t book Kono Kono.

If you like your own company and just want to relax, book it.. We did actually have a few drinks around the fire on the beach ( a nice touch ) with another couple on a couple of nights and that was very pleasant, but if you didn`t want to mix you didn`t have to. Obviously it makes a great honeymoon destination.

There is a restaurant called `The Rock` not too far away which is a bit unique and they send a car to get you and bring you back, if you want a change. Kon Kono do there own mini dhow cruise in the evening which we were told was good and apparently you can chat up the dhow captain to take you to other parts of the island if you want.

In conclusion we would recommend Kono Kono highly and I would even just go and stay there if a good deal came up for a week away.

3  Thank Ponytailpaul
Reviewed 4 February 2011

the road to Kono Kono guarantees a lot of bumps and holes, but the reward is great.
Classy, elegant and very spacious bungalows. The beach view bungalows with irresistable unspoiled views of the Indian Ocean and the pristine white sands of the large beach. Sea food dinner under a moonlit sky ( I wonder if there has ever been dinner inside) and friendly, guest oriented local staff. An occasional fisherman's boat on the waters or a local lady in her colourful waving African dress passing by on the beach. Serenity, peace and top class comfort. What more can you wish when you want to escape the hectic Western way of life.?

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 January 2011

We stayed at a sea view bungalow at Kono Kono for our 1st anniversary and I can't wait to return. It's like a piece of paradise, absolutely perfect in every way. Customer service is excellent. Most meals are served on the white powdery sandy beach. Michamvi beach is so idyllic that it would look stunning on a postcard. If you want to be spoilt and spend a relaxing, romantic time away from the hustle and bustle then this is the place. We had a massage in the open air elevated style spa which was great. I'm glad we chose this property to spend our special occasion.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 January 2011

I have just come back from Zanzibar – and felt honour bound to write up a fair review – I have read all the others – I apologise in advance for length/sp/grammar, but written in a hurry and to share with you. Here is my experience.
What was good:
We needed a quick 'gap-it' out of Johannesburg desperately in need of some rest and relaxation. We chose Kono Kono, because we liked the fact that it was remote and quiet, with a lovely beach - in a protected bay - no touts, no noisy boats – no bar games, no tv - no noise pollution etc etc. We booked a beach facing villa - there are only 11 villas - so it is indeed very private.
Zanzibar is about 3,5 hrs from Joberg, a big plus for South Africans.
We were craving simplicity – and Kono Kono manages this - beautiful villa, with an outside bath, (inside shower) private verandah and the best of all was our private plunge pool. That was heaven - just perfect for that heat and humidity. (Nb hot water: you need to work out that there is a switch for the hot water – I did get caught out).
I really liked the style of the villa - there was nothing plastic or irritating about the room - or the place - simple, comfortable, and blessings, local. Lovely gowns in local fabric, a small bar fridge, aircon (not sure ours was strong enough but it sufficed, and I am being picky.) Chick moan: the rooms could have had a mirror – there is a beautiful huge mosaic mirror over the wash basins, but it was too high up for me to see me brushing my teeth.

The lowdown is, is its not an international chain, with a big city feel, and it doesn’t truck tourist groups with that ‘clannish’ mentality in and out. Another big plus, is you can have breakfast served in your room - or anything else you may need - bar etc, without strange premiums charged. The staff are charming. Bakari (head waiter and a gem), and his team cannot do enough for you, with grace, a wonderful, insightful sense of humour that is totally Zanzibarian.

What was TERRIBLE:
As I have indicated in my heading, the food was a huge disappointment – everything is ‘fresh frozen’ (huh?)– the menu’s on the website describe 4 course meals with the likes of fresh crab and fresh fish, but in actuality you get a garden salad, with some Greek cheese, a sort of ‘consomme’ which is stock powder and hot water – and then a seriously overcooked frozen slither of what was apparently the ‘catch of the day’ – and, I kid you not, deserts like stale cake with packaged chocolate sauce, or custard from cardboard box… with a pretty squirt of that Bosco. Apart from the breakfast fruit, Kono Kono serves nothing local. This is a sin in this day and age. The island has an array of spectacular fresh fish, seafood, & fruit and veg: crab, slipper lobster and crayfish – fresh octopus. It was heartbreaking to be in all that beauty (dinner served around a fire, with lamps to light, toes in sand) only to eat food that was actually inedible. The wine list was not current - and they were almost out of stock of everything. That really annoyed my normally cheerful husband.

What I did:
I spoke to the chef, who looked confused and told us it was not the season for fresh crab or crayfish - so we had to eat from frozen - and to Betty the manager who told us that they couldn’t get supplies – and that we were on a remote island etc. etc (? Isn't that the point) Is there a season, is there a conservation program that we are unaware of? After my visit to the fishmarket in Stonetown, and after seeing all the local fishermen and ladies selling octopus. (I am not promoting shell purchasing or anything of that kind.) I just don’t buy it. In their defence, they did order us fresh crab, and on our 3rd day, we enjoyed the most delicious fresh crab for lunch – simply steamed and with local spinach done local style at out request. The Kono Kono team were really trying hard to please and it was very appreciated. The next day, to our horror, we were told the chef had frozen the other 2 ordered for us. Ditto the octopus ordered for us (speciality in Z.)I am not going to go into this, but the texture and taste of fresh VS frozen is markedly different. So, if you are happy to eat Greek salad in Zanzibar, a lunch menu of toasted sarmies and burgers and fishfingers with chips on the lunch menu - fish that has been frozen and unfortunately overcooked so that it is like chewing rubber, and nothing that has any hint of local Zanzibarian style – not a spice in sight - then you will be fine, and very happy with the sea side dining. If you do go to Stonetown, and can manage the fishmarket fragrance, you will see plenty of fresh fish and seafood – available daily. Also plenty of local fisherman and ‘ladies who go octopussing’ about if you have the energy to ‘do it yourself’. (Friends that have stayed at comparative lodges, have raved about the food: freshness and quality.)

By the way, there is a bar you just cannot leave without visitng – its called Kae Funk (Sp?) and it is next door to the hotel. Ditto a restaurant called “The Rock” – wow – also guilty of Fresh Frozen – but the location will astound, and the food is ok……try chalumwe (local cockles) and octopus salad - some local Marsaai guarding just enthrall.

Our Verdict:
We loved Zanzibar, the people are a true example of how human beings should live together on this planet. We would love to go back to Kono Kono – because it is unique – very special, and very barefoot – you don’t have to ‘show up’ – and you don’t have the feeling that ‘someone is in charge’ – which I rather like - but they must up the game with their food, it really doesn’t have to be fancy – just simple, local style and fresh will make the difference between awesome and awful. I have a gut feeling they will work on this - and that is why I have said that I would recommend to a friend. You just need to panel beat the food & beverage department.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
7  Thank ZsaZsaJoberg
Also consider these accommodations in or near Michamvi
15 mi away
#1 of 5 in Kizimkazi
Essque Zalu Zanzibar
Essque Zalu Zanzibar
#5 of 19 in Nungwi
Zanzibar White Sand Luxury Villas & Spa (Relais & Chateaux)

Been to KonoKono Beach Resort? Share your experiences!