“Superb place but could be more eco”
Review of Kichanga Lodge

Kichanga Lodge
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Superb place but could be more eco”
Reviewed 17 September 2013

We spent overall 7 days here in August, moving around a bit due to last minute booking and hence availability. Location is great, swimming super even at low tide in the lagoon, food excessively good (this was a problem as we overindulged as somewhat depleted after 9 months in Tanzania!) and it is really well managed. The bathrooms are outdated, toilet flush not working, showers very iffy and I really thought that the place and the great management Could make this a great possibility to develop an eco lodge and inspire the neighbours. Living in Tanzania it was pretty disturbing to see how excessive the tourist consumption and impact here in Zanzibar is - and this place is surely one of the better ones. Please please don't touch the marine wildlife on the snorkelling trips, the reef is dead enough already.

Room Tip: Talk to reservations and tell them what you are after. They were really helpful to us both in terms...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
  • Hebrew first
Beets, The Netherlands
Reviewed 12 September 2013

5 days in paradise! The flower leafs on our bed, the privacy, the silence, the beautifull cottage at sea/ with seaview, excellent food and services, private beach, blue water and white sand made our stay perfect! What a great place to hide, rest and absorb the beautifull nature in silence. And when we were into action the friendly staff in the hotel could recommend or facilitate all kind of activities like walks, biking, snorkeling, good restaurants, transports, daytrips, nice sunset bar/ dancing for in the evening and more... I was suprised by the possibilities as it seemed isolated at first sight. We really could create our perfect holiday in Kitchanga lodge. I wish I had bought a few more fabrics in the lodge as they were beautifull and were for good prices. But the inhouse tailor made a very nice skirt for me.. We can recommend this place!! And want to thank the people from Kitchanga for our beautifull memories.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Kichanga, General Manager at Kichanga Lodge, responded to this review, 22 September 2013
Mireille asante sana for such a nice review hope to see you back
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 7 September 2013

I stayed for 2 nights/3 days and as soon as I arrived I regretted not being able to stay longer. You are welcomed with smiles and Jambos (hellos) as soon as you get there. It's extremely peaceful and relaxing, much needed after I had travelled through beautiful, but dusty, Tanzania for three weeks and had climbed Mt Kilimanjaro.

I was upgraded to an Ocean Lodge which was stunning. Food and staff were great and very accommodating. I was exhausted from the trek and was just looking for a nice place to relax by the beach and chill, and Kichanga Lodge delivered.

One negative I have to mention is they charge for wi-fi (and it's quite expensive), and they charge PER device (i.e. you are charged twice if you want it on your iPhone AND iPad) and you can only access wi-fi in the lounge by front reception. With all the free wi-fi throughout the country and the world, I was a bit alarmed by how expensive and limited it was.

The other small negative I would say (and I'm being picky here) is that the staff can be a little TOO eager to serve you. Management would ask me multiple times a day if everything was good and it wouldn't be unusual for me to be eating my meal with a staff member standing right beside my table staring at me as I ate. I'm all for great service but it was a little intense and off-putting at times. That said, I had a super relaxing time and would highly recommend the hotel. Very professional.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank jc8228
Geelong
Reviewed 30 August 2013

Wow, what an experience. We stayed 6 nights in August and will always remember this place as very very special. Stunning beach and beautiful white sand. Fantastic food at all times, the warmest of African hospitality was extended to us by the staff and management constantly. The rooms are great, try for a beach front bungalow. The staff are beautiful. So helpful and kind and lovely to chat to. A special mention for George in the dining room who was so very kind to our friend who had hurt his back. The common areas are fantastic with big comfy day beds and chairs that once in are very hard to move from. Totally relaxed within hours of getting to kichanga. Great value for money. Thank you Nigel for this beautiful place you have all created. We can't stop talking about zanzibar and kichanga lodge. We will be back. P.S. a meal at The Rock restaurant is essential. Great seafood

Room Tip: Try for beachfront bungalow for the amazing view
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Kichanga, General Manager at Kichanga Lodge, responded to this review, 1 September 2013
Hi Robyn, thank you so much for such a nice review my staff and i are all very happy that you had such a great and relaxing time. I hope to see you back very soon.
South East England
Reviewed 28 August 2013

Having stayed in similar places in Bonaire (Dutch Antilles) and Samal (the Philippines), we knew what to expect and weren't disappointed. Kichanga is located in an enviable situation with a fascinating beach which stretches out for what must be half a mile at low tide. This gives exciting opportunities to explore the reef looking for starfish, sea urchins and to watch the fishermen catching that night's barbecued octopus or kingfish and creates a natural sea pool for daytime swimming. The service is excellent and carefully overseen, the difference between here and some other local hotels is palpable and all the better for it. There's a charming lady (Loveness) offering beauty treatments in a hut on the beach and you can walk for miles along the shoreline - a must is a visit to the Rock restaurant for lunch. We had a very pleasing few days and were sad to leave, I rarely feel so relaxed!

Room Tip: A beach front villa gives the sound of the ocean as the tide ebbs and flows, a garden villa the same...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Hello, thank you for your review and it was great to meet you and see that you enjoyed your holiday in Kichanga . asante sana
Madrid, Spain
Reviewed 28 July 2013

I spent four days here after a safari. I can say it is the perfect place for resting yourself. This lodge is placed in a beautiful area just in front of a paradisiac beach. The installations are very good and the food is excellent. But what really makes the difference is the friendly staff you can find there, very helpful at every moment. We highly recommend this place if you are looking for some days of disconnection and relax.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Kichanga, General Manager at Kichanga Lodge, responded to this review, 4 August 2013
Hi Patge

thank you very much for your nice review and we are very happy htat you enjoyed your holiday at Kichanga Lodge
Baldock
Reviewed 20 July 2013

We spent 4 nights here after a safari. It was absolutely brilliant. The setting is fantastic with a beach you can only dream about, good food and great staff. The staff were a real joy - attentive without being over the top, and willing to do anything to help. We really loved it and were only surprised that there were not more people there: perhaps it really is one of those best kept secrets.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Hello Steve, thanks for your write up . if you want to send us some friends please do not hesitate.
asante sana
Also consider these accommodations in or near Michamvi
Ras Michamvi Beach Resort
Melia Zanzibar
#1 of 11 in Kiwengwa
Karafuu Beach Resort and Spa
DoubleTree by Hilton Resort Zanzibar - Nungwi
Zanzibar White Sand Luxury Villas & Spa (Relais & Chateaux)

Been to Kichanga Lodge? Share your experiences!