“Brilliant day with elderly parents and a girl and boy of 9 &12”

Mountfitchet Castle
Reviewed 27 August 2012

This proved an excellent day out, my parents and us all loved the toy museum which was positively crammed with every toy that was ever made (I guess!) including Princess Diana's little bike and second world war artefacts (including a browning). The castle itself was really interesting and our boy (12) who has read about the Normans was amazed and excited. This was further enhanced by the presence of all the animals which were roaming within the walls and very people friendly. We asked our son on the way out what did he prefer, Chessington World of Adventures which we had visited the day before or Mounfitchet - he chose Mountfitchet and asked to go it for the last 3 days of our hols!!!!! (We couldn't but were delighted it was such a success). Our 9 year old daughter wasn't quite that enthusiastic but did say she really enjoyed it and would love to go back next year. We will revisit, definitely a success.

3  Thank Chris C
"roaming free"
"educational fun"
"medieval times"
in 5 reviews
"pay and display car park"
"all ages"
"visited yesterday"
"few hours"
in 14 reviews

Reviewed 20 August 2012

We chose it as a suitable rendezvous with another family primarily for a picnic+amusement for very young children. With all the animals wandering round it was excellent. Loads of alternative picnic space plus a welcome undercover seated area when the rain came down.

We all loved the chickens/turkeys/peacocks/deer/goats which were happily grazing and scavenging (picnickers beware!) and although our lot were too young to appreciate the Norman village aspects, I'd strongly recommend it for older children. We didn't make it to the Toy Museum or haunted house but they would be a bonus.

We didn't try the cafe but it looked ok for basic meal/snacks. Parking (free on Sunday) outside the door.

1  Thank heatheruth
Reviewed 13 August 2012

Now I must confess I am a toy collector, so have a particular love of this type of attraction, but the Toy museum here is quite amazing. It has the most comprehensive Star Wars collection I have ever seen outside ComicCon. Plus the biggest action man collection I ever did see too. If you love toys, or have kids who love toys, you gotta go here. Wasn't scared by the haunted house, but then I wouldn't admit it even if I had been!

On top of all this toy-mania I got to stroke some adorable deers and some rather grumpy but still adorable goats. And got chased by a hungry pack of chickens, running round a wooden castle with hens pecking at my heels. Simply brilliant. Love it.

London may have toy museums, but their collections don't even come close to Mountfitchet in some areas. Well worth a trip.

3  Thank MitZiBeAn
Reviewed 3 August 2012

We made our first visit today with our 10 and 13 year old sons - both really enjoyed themselves, and even the 13 year old (who is at the difficult age where he only really wants to come out with us if we are going to a theme park...) loved exploring the grounds, posing in the stocks, and feeding the animals. We drove from Chatham in Kent and thought this totally worth the journey and will definitely come again. The cafe and shop have an old-school charm and we had a basic but tasty lunch there. The only downside for us was the toy museum which was great but we didn't have any cash so couldn't make use of the penny arcade which the boys would have loved.

2  Thank TheKindells
See more reviews
Reviewed 1 August 2012

The castle is great for the kids - lots of small dwellings and towers to climb up and may animals, chickens, ducks and geese roaming free. All rescue animals which is really nice and you can buy a bab of grain to feed them. Adults had more fun with trying on the helmets and chainmail than the kids! Also a bonus is the House on the Hill Toy Museum - excellent selection of toys and if you grew up in any delay zde before the 90's you will love all the old toys - so many memories! The kids get a small 'passport' to collect stamps for and they get a small toy at the end. For a small, privately owned place it's great - I'd much rather give them my money than a larger company that gives you an 'experience'.

3  Thank Shcwiew