“An unexpected delight. ”

Mountfitchet Castle
Watford
31 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 57 helpful votes
“An unexpected delight. ”
Reviewed 23 April 2014 via mobile

We only went to Mountfitchet Castle because it was next to the Toy Museum, but it turned out to be huge fun and really complemented its neighbour.

It's not a castle in the sense of lots of massive walls , indeed there's barely anything left of the original structure. Instead there's lots of recreation of the homes and buildings of a medieval castle. Plenty to wander around and poke your nose into. The chickens and goats are fun, and there's a nice café too.

Don't think of taking your elderly granny by the way, it's way too steep up the path. Brilliant for kids though.

• Czech first
Bournemouth
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“A disappointing experience”
Reviewed 22 April 2014

I found Mountfitchet Castle quite disappointing. The village layout was quite unrealistic and there were several methods of capital punishment displayed - surely a village would only have one, if that? The exhibits were rather tired, some were incomplete, and there were few interactive things to do. Also there were a lot of notices saying don't do this and don't do that. What really put me off was that there was a dying chicken left in full view and the only member of staff I could find to inform was the person at the ticket desk. Not an enjoyable morning

1 Thank NickyRodley
Fareham
19 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Excellent afternoon out.”
Reviewed 18 April 2014

The Norman village was very good and informative - plenty of things to see and learn about. Our grandson, aged 10 years loved it. There are lots of chickens and geese roaming about and Deer to see. Not much about the history of the Castle and little of the original remains - what you see is a timber reconstruction!! Also included in the price was a visit to the "House on the Hill Toy Museum". This was very popular with the older generation, seeing some of the toys we played with years ago - Senior Citizens beware the path up was quite steep so take it slowly. The food in the cafe' was good and reasonably priced but lacking in gluten free items. Could improve!!
All in all, a good value attraction but the children's price is a bit high!!

1 Thank L P
Warwick, United Kingdom
51 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 110 helpful votes
“Not just for kids........”
Reviewed 18 April 2014

So my other half , who would live in a norman castle if he had the chance, said 'let's go and have a look at this'. I saw it was 'educational' but the words 're-enactment' and 'reconstructed' leave me cold so I wasn't really looking forward to it and made him pay the admission charge. But do you know what? I really enjoyed it. After years of traiing behind my husband looking at humps in the ground - it all became obvious and I saw how these people lived and worked. There were no actors the day we went but that did not detract from the experience as there is still a lot to see and do and you get the feel of what it would be like to live in those times. I amazed myself by staying over four hours, something I would not have put money on if you had asked me beforehand. Being a young fifty something I was fascinated (if not a little disappointed!!) to see most of my childhood toys in the museum. The museum is fun but it can be a bit overwhelming as there is so much to look at you cannot take it all in at one visit.

If you have children, take a book about motte and bailey castles with you and tell your children about it and if you don't have children go anyway and educate yourself. Like me you may come away with a better understanding of this period in history.

1 Thank Furbit
Haslemere, United Kingdom
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“Oh I don't know was it good?”
Reviewed 13 April 2014 via mobile

I didn't mind my day out with the kids (aged 1,5 and 7) here and they certainly found it fun. However it is expensive for what it is - £35.80 for the four of us (2 adults, 2 children). The Norman village is the best bit and atmospheric, animals running about nice touch, but a little run down and on the day we visited no actors which would have been a nice touch to help us experience it. Educationally it felt like there should be more detail/context and I didn't feel we learnt about the original settlement just a generic Norman one. There was no actual castle and I learnt nothing about Mountfitchet itself.

Cafe looked limited so we went out to town. Toy museum and dinosaurs about half hour of time to go around and is mainly 1950s/60s boys toys. But worth going up hill to.

So all in all I'm glad I went (on a sunny day) but don't feel need to go back again.

1 Thank Neil W
StanstedGoldie1967, General Manager at Mountfitchet Castle, responded to this review, 14 April 2014
Thanks for your post, would just like to point out we have 200 school children visit in term time every day and they find it a very informative historical castle to visits . The castle is unique as the only one of its type in the world hence so many school teachers choose to visit us so to say about no comment is a bit unfounded I'm afraid . The castle is privately owned and funded and 20% of admission goes on VAT the next 70% goes on staff and running costs etc so the gate admission compared to most places is very reasonable. Thanks for your comments but may I suggest a history book to see how castles truely were like not as shown in Hollywood films ...it's a common mistake but mountifitchet castle is exactly as castles were and a unique place to visit both for pleasure and education