“Great place for dinner and an overnight stay.”

Hilton London Stansted Airport
Cambridge, United Kingdom
“Great place for dinner and an overnight stay.”
Reviewed 28 May 2014

i have been using this Hilton for over 20 years and i have never felt inclined to write a review about it but feel compelled to now.
They have spent a small fortune on the refurbishment and it shows.
From your first step into the new foyer you can feel and see the transformation has been thought through, it is spacious and light with lots of room and very attentive receptionists eager to deal with your requirements.
i am glad the GM has decided to get rid of the artwork of planes of the wall.....
The bar area has been completely refitted to beyond recognition in a great way, with comfy sofas and easy chairs everywhere and beyond is the restaurant again very bright and light and extremely clean looking which surprisingly makes you feel like eating the food more.
The food is without doubt their best menu for many years; i defy anyone to find an issue with the food.
The food is virtually cooked in front of you in the open plan kitchen, this i particularly like as you can see everything going on.
The steak is a definite must and if there are two of you on a Sunday try the roast chicken with the Budweiser can stuffed up its parsons nose end.
An overall great experience and one worth going back for.
Gym - pool sauna Jacuzzi and steam rooms also refurbished and on par with the rest of the hotel.
You get what you pay for here and some.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank Notwhite
StanstedManager, General Manager at Hilton London Stansted Airport, responded to this review, 3 June 2014
Dear Notwhite

We appreciate the time you took to review your recent stay at Hilton London Stansted Airport and for your loyalty to the hotel over the years.

The renovations we completed earlier in the year have indeed made a difference and I am pleased that you found this to be the case.

The Head Chef was pleased that you find the new menu to be the best in years and that you liked the roast chicken.

Overall, we are glad that you find the hotel to be a great experience and we look forward to continue to welcome you back to the hotel.

Robert Watts
Hotel Manager
Robert.watts@hilton.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (212)
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 May 2014

We were on a day trip overseas, leaving early and getting home late, so we decided to stay at a hotel near the airport on Saturday and Sunday nights, along with our friends who also stayed at the hotel.

We choose the Hilton as we are all Hilton Hhonors 'Gold' status holders, as we stay with Hilton whenever and wherever we can. Immediately upon arrival, it became apparent that this was a Hilton Hotel in name only - this is the worst hotel experience I have ever had.

Firstly, there was no parking spaces. Cars were double parked, parked in the gardens, across roadways, and there were no spaces anywhere to be seen. I sent my wife in to reception to see what they would suggest, and they told us to park in the staff car park, alongside all the rubbish bins, recycling points and staff on their fag breaks.

I unloaded the car and followed the signs to 'Reception', and when I got to the door (carrying a couple of bags and a case) there was a scruffy bit of paper which said 'please use main entrance'. So I had to lug our luggage back to the front door, walking past the staff on the fag breaks (who did nothing to help), through the car park and into the reception. I suggested to the staff at the front desk that if they were going to send people to the staff car park, then they should also ensure that the rear entrance to the hotel was open. Apparently, the door is only intended to staff members - so why are their signs directing to the reception? No apology was offered, and when I checked out, the same signs were on the door and it was still locked!

So we went to our room, supposedly an upgrade as part of the Hhonors programme. The upgrade appeared to be a bottle of water and some peanuts. The bed was a double which had no bed springs - it was literally a mattress (wafer thin) sitting on top of a wooden box. When you sat on it, it creaked loudly. My friends were in the room opposite, and their bed was identical, the same lack of comfort, the same creaks. I really expect in a Hilton Hotel that the beds will have quality beds, not something made out of hardboard, and decent mattresses.

We had to be up at 4am the next day, so we had booked dinner in the hotel restaurant for 7.30pm, and at about half 6 went to the bar. I stood at the bar for 10 minutes before anyone showed up behind the bar to serve, despite the fact that there were 4 of us waiting to be served.

We went to the restaurant at 7.30, and our table was not ready, so we had to wait a few minutes for them to clear some tables and push them together. Our waiter took our order in good time, but then disappeared for some time so I decided to go to the bar to get some drinks. THat was a bad choice - 20 minutes watching one person serve the people at the bar. At one point, there were 7 staff members behind the bar pouring drinks - but still only one person serving those at the bar. The person serving had no idea who should be served next and we ended up telling him who he should serve and in what order - it was chaos.

I eventually went back to our table expecting to have missed the starter, since it had been 30 minutes since our order was placed. Nope - we eventually go our starter an hour after we had ordered it, after a couple of requests to the waiter as to it's whereabouts. Apparently we needed to be more patient.

Our plates were cleared and then started the long wait for our main course. It arrived eventually 2 hours and 15 minutes after we ordered it, an hour after our starters were cleared. By this stage, we had been speaking with the waiter, his supervisor and the restaurant manager to find out what was going on. I had actually offered to go and help in the kitchen at some stage - when I spoke to them they had no idea how long our meals would be. We were offered 25% discount on our drinks, which we rejected as derisory, and when I asked how to complain, I was marched to the reception, and had a 'Tell Us About Your Stay' flyer shoved in to my hands - this was by the supervisor!! We were also told that they were busy hence the delays - this despite the fact that there was only ourselves and one other group in the restaurant.

Eventually the restaurant manager and the Hotel duty manager came to our table, at the same time as our food, they agreed that the service had been poor (they were shocked by the attitude shown by the supervisor in particular). Our drinks were wiped from the slate, and we were offered a 'takeaway' dessert. They also offered to reduce our room rate (we had pre-paid so it remains to be seen whether we will receive this refund). They could not have looked more embarrassed, but should we have got to this stage?

Back to the room and the creaky bed, for a few hours sleep. This was simply impossible - the bed was so creaky, that every time my wife or I moved an inch it made a noise. The mattress was so uncomfortable and thin that you could feel the hardboard bed beneath. Then at about 2am a group of presumably hammered girls went past our room hollering and singing and waking the dead. So at 4 am, after about an hour of fitful sleep, we went away for the day.

We decided over the course of the day, that rather than stay at this sorry excuse of a hotel, we would rather not stay the second night, so we decided to avoid alcohol all day so that we could drive home. This detracted from our day slightly, but we would rather this than have another terrible night. We arrived back at the Hilton after a long day at about midnight, and packed up and left the hotel, desperately trying to stay awake in the car.

All in all - what a shocker. The first Hilton I've stayed in where I've felt the need to complain about anything - and on this occasion, I felt the need to complain about virtually everything. This hotel has literally nothing going for it. Poor service, poor rooms, poor location (compared to the other Stansted Airport hotels). Don't come here expecting anything like the product you expect from the Hilton brand.

Room Tip: Choose a room at the nearby Holiday Inn. Avoid this place like the plague.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Scott C
StanstedManager, Manager at Hilton London Stansted Airport, responded to this review, 28 May 2014
Dear Scott C

We appreciate you taking the time to review your recent stay at Hilton London Stansted Airport.

I was most concerned to read of your experience and of the service that you received from the team.

If I could please ask for a few further minutes of your time to contact me directly at the hotel so I may resolve this with you and your party directly.

I look forward to hearing from you in due course.

Travellers are raving about these Stansted Mountfitchet hotels

Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 26 May 2014

I am loathe to give negative reviews where possible and I try to find the positives. The welcome at reception was very pleasant and efficient. The restaurant staff were very polite and good. My room was a terrible disappointment and this surprised me because I am used to much better at Hilton hotels. Maybe it is because it is an airport hotel so the traffic is different than say a town centre or tourist spot and so on. The smell in my room was that of an old and dusty house. It was so present that I could literally smell the dust from the carpet. I cannot speak for other rooms clearly but if they resemble the room I stayed in then they need a major refurbishment and refreshing. If ever I would need to stay at Stansted again I will give the Radisson a go but I would need some convincing to stay at this Hilton again. Price was reasonable I guess (£115 for the night - room rate only)

Room Tip: There is a shuttle to and from from the airport. It takes about 8 minutes per trip. There is a £2.50...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
StanstedManager, General Manager at Hilton London Stansted Airport, responded to this review, 28 May 2014
Dear BillyBobIreland

I am sorry to read that you were somewhat dissatisfied with the room you were allocated and for the odour that was present. This has been discussed with the Head Housekeeper who joins me in expressing our sincere apologies.

On a positive, I am glad that you found the team to be welcoming in the reception and in the restaurant.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.

Canterbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 May 2014

I would say this is not up to the usual Hilton standards but maybe that is because it is an airport hotel.

Reception staff very friendly but there was a lot of noise in the rooms from some sort of machinery and I had to look at 3 rooms before I found a quiet one, which is what you need for an early flight or you wouldn't be staying there!

Room clean but some signs of ageing.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Dear Trailingrose

Thank you for reviewing your stay at Hilton London Stansted Airport.

I am pleased that you found the reception staff to be friendly and I have shared your kind comments with the team.

I was concerned to read that you experienced noise in the rooms you were allocated and for the inconvenience that this caused to you in having to move rooms.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.

Reviewed 23 May 2014 via mobile

We always use this hotel when we fly from Stansted, which has not been for a while. Loved the make over! Staff helpful, room good size, clean and quiet. We ate in the dining room. OK I guess for the type of facility and certainly better than some similar hotels. Having the parking facilities saves a lot of time and hassle. Here's to the next holiday when we shall fly off well rested.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Polly H

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at Hilton London Stansted Airport.

I am pleased to read that you liked the refurbishment works we have completed in our lobby, bar, restaurant and reception areas.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel when you are next flying out of Stansted.

Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 May 2014

Stayed at Hilton Stansted twice in the past few weeks. Booked it because I like Hilton hotels and it was a reasonable price and had a spa. From the airport, there is a shuttle bus exclusively used for the hotel and cost £2.50 per person. Found this to be very handy as we didn't want to incur a steep taxi fare for a relatively short journey as a lot of airports seem to do. The hotel itself is quite modern and stylish when you first enter. Check in was quick. The room wasn't huge but it had everything we needed and it's only a place to sleep. The remote for the TV was a bit fiddly but nothing to get worked up about. I didn't have an uninterrupted sleep but its next to an airport so its to be expected.
Breakfast was great and plenty of choice. The porridge tasted like rice pudding and was delicious. I need to mention a lovely and very genuine lady named Lynda who we chatted to on both mornings. She was incredibly sweet and I think is a real asset to the hotel.
We ate in the restaurant once but weren't overwhelmed by it. It was a tad expensive and the food tasted quite greasy.
The spa was good and the guy we chatted to that worked there had an excellent rapport with the customers. There is a good sized pool, a baby pool, steam room, jacuzzi and sauna. The shower could be doing with upgrading but again, not a huge problem as there are additional showers in the changing rooms.
Would stay here again if flying from Stansted as it does offer good value for money when you take into consideration the breakfast on offer and the use of spa facilities.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear LindaHS29

We appreciate the time you took to review your recent stay at Hilton London Stansted Airport.

I was pleased to read that you choose Hilton’s as your preferred place to stay.

Linda is a valued member of the team and I have shared your kind comments with her which were gratefully received.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel when you are next in the Stansted area.

Barnsley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 May 2014

We stayed 1night prior to a flight to Slovenia. Helpful and friendly staff, comfortable bed. Had dinner in the bar, food good and reasonable priced compared to other airport hotels we have experienced. Shuttle bus to airport efficient, overall hotel stay and parking package represented good value for money. If we went via stanstead airport again would definitely stay at the Hilton.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Alison B

I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you found our Park and Fly package to represent good value for money.

Our shuttle bus does provide an excellent transfer between the airport and the hotel which I pleased you found to be the case.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel when you are next travelling through Stansted.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Stansted Mountfitchet
Premier Inn London Stansted Airport Hotel
Premier Inn London Stansted Airp...
#1 of 4 in Stansted Mountfitchet
Radisson Blu Hotel London Stansted Airport
Radisson Blu Hotel London Stanst...
#2 of 4 in Stansted Mountfitchet
Holiday Inn Express Stansted Airport
Holiday Inn Express Stansted Air...
#4 of 4 in Stansted Mountfitchet
Days Inn London Stansted Airport
Days Inn London Stansted Airport
#1 of 3 in Bishops Stortford
Ramada London Stansted Airport
Ramada London Stansted Airport
#2 of 3 in Bishops Stortford
Travelodge Stansted Bishops Stortford Hotel

Been to Hilton London Stansted Airport? Share your experiences!