“One up from a student hostel - definitely not Hilton standard”

Novotel London Stansted Airport
Reviewed 12 August 2014

I booked us in to a twin room to avoid having to panic about getting to the airport on time in the morning. We still had a rush though. The 7am bus did not arrive and there was no explanation. When the 7.15 arrived the driver sounded his horn to alert his office which is in the hotel - not good for any guest who was still trying to sleep. On the return journey the timetable at the airport showed half hourly buses - a bit different to the 15 minute schedule given to us by the hotel. And don't be fooled by the 'location' on the web site. we timed our return journey which was at a quiet time on a Sunday and it took 10 minutes - and it costs £2.50 each, each way.
However the worst bit was the tiny room. The beds were thin mattresses on wooden bases not slatted - sheets of wood. The pillows were thin and the duvet lumpy. The fixtures and fittings were cheap plastic and there were washed-in stains on the sheets. The bedside lamp was falling off the wall and there was no complimentary water.
And there was one toilet roll - nearly finished.
When we checked in and went back to collect our car we found two receptionists. Ours on both occasions was called Kim - a smile would not go amiss. While her colleague was offering wake-up calls, and being helpful, Kim offered no conversation and was blunt to say the least. There was certainly no apology for the queue we had waited in which went out to the door.
My husband is a Hilton diamond card holder - he could not believe the photos we showed him.

Room Tip: Choose another hotel.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
StanstedManager, General Manager at Novotel London Stansted Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 13 August 2014

Dear CamberleyNel

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at Hilton London Stansted Airport.

I was concerned to read of your experience at the hotel and of the photos of your room. This is unacceptable and the Head Housekeeper and Facilities Manager join me in expressing our sincere apologies.

If I could please ask for a further few minutes of your time to contact me at the hotel so I can resolve this with you directly.

I look forward to hearing from you.

There are newer reviews for Novotel London Stansted Airport

Reviewed 12 August 2014

Its an airport hotel that charges on the high side for everything but is large, well equipped and efficient. We weren't in the room for long as we had an early flight and any hotel experience is never good under those circumstances. However when we arrived late there was hot food available, free use of internet, tea making facilities and a good coach transfer system to airport. I found a car space quite easily and got out efficiently on my return.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family

Dear Alex R

Thank you for reviewing your recent stay at Hilton London Stansted Airport.

I am pleased that you found the hotel to be well equipped and that it met your needs.

The shuttle bus transfer is an ideal way to get to and from the airport and I am pleased that you found this to be the case.

Reviewed 11 August 2014

Booked as a park and stay package. Hotel looks good and generally was good, but let down by a few points. 1. The bed was so noisy it was unbearable. Every time you moved it made such a noise that it woke my partner. My travel partners in another room had the same problem, so it was not an isolated one, and they complained at 3:00AM only to be treated somewhat distantly. When asked if any other guests had complained they (pointedly) did not answer the question. All that was offered was a complimentary breakfast (which I already was entitled to and did not want) and a "free" courtesy bus to/from airport. NOT GOOD ENOUGH. The restaurant was very good - the staff excellent. The bar prices for wine were a joke - over £10 for a large wine!! I call it taking the Mick. Very disappointed. Would probably not stay there again simply because of the bed problem

Room Tip: Ask to test the bed first!!!!
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
StanstedManager, Manager at Novotel London Stansted Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 15 August 2014

Dear 22Martin22

We appreciate you taking the time to review your recent stay at Hilton London Stansted Airport.

I am pleased that you enjoyed dinner in the restaurant and service you received from the team.

With regards to your feedback regarding the bed in your room, I am sorry for the way in which this was dealt with by the team. When such reports are received our Head Housekeeper inspects the beds and where necessary these are replaced.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel when you are next travelling through Stansted.

Reviewed 11 August 2014 via mobile

Check in and parking good and good value as were flying very early.
Leisure facilities were good pool sauna jacuzzi all free
Room stinks of smoke in fact so does reception I thought Hilton would have replaced furniture since the law changed
Room is tatty and in need of a bathroom update rusty stains aplenty
Charge for wifi??? Really?? In this day and age fortunately I used BT
Dinner was lovely in the bar we had nachos burger & ribs all were excellent but took 1hour to arrive we complained to the duty manager and got complimentary drinks
All in all some good bits but this Hilton could easily be excellent with some easy changes- refurb & warm the kitchen 730pm maybe a peak service time

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
StanstedManager, General Manager at Novotel London Stansted Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 15 August 2014

Dear Lloydy444

Thank you for reviewing your recent stay at Hilton London Stansted Airport.

I am pleased that you found the hotel to represent good value for money and that you liked the LivingWell facilities we have available.

I was concerned to read that the bedroom you were given smelt of smoke as did the furniture. This is unacceptable and has been addressed with the Housekeeping team.

We do offer complimentary wireless internet access in all of our public areas, however if guests choose to access the internet in their room a charge is applied.

Our Head Chef is pleased that you enjoyed your dinner especially the nachos ribs and burger. However joins me in apologising for the delay that you encountered in receiving your food.

Reviewed 10 August 2014

Very efficient check in, clean and comfortable room. As a gold card member sometimes check in staff "forget" the perks - this time they were all there. I have no hesitation in thoroughly recommending.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
StanstedManager, Manager at Novotel London Stansted Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 12 August 2014

Dear Machiavelli4

I am pleased to read that you found the hotel to be clean and comfortable and you experienced an efficient check in.

I am glad that you would recommend the hotel to others and we look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.

Reviewed 9 August 2014

Slow check in (it was night time and we were tired, the check in alone took about half an hour), non-smoking room which reeked of cigarettes (which we didn't change as we desperately needed to sleep), water pool on the carpet by the bathroom door (which I stepped on barefoot, of course), suspicious stains on my bath towel, bath amenities for one (in a double room with double occupancy), a bed that made loud noises every time we moved (I kept waking myself up in the beginning of the night). To top it all, there was considerable dust on my night stand, and the room were my colleagues stayed had a Bible which read "do not throw away". Fortunately the check out was faultless and we were offered one complimentary stay. Still, disappointed as I had expected much better from a Hilton experience.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Dear Flavia S

We appreciate the time you took to review your recent stay at Hilton London Stansted Airport.

I would like to apologise for the experience you encountered at the hotel and I am pleased that a member of the team was able to resolve this before you left the hotel.

Your experience does not represent our usual high standards and your feedback has been addressed with the team. I would like to apologise for the discomfort these caused to your stay.

Reviewed 8 August 2014

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Also consider these accommodations in or near Stansted Mountfitchet
Premier Inn London Stansted Airport Hotel
Premier Inn London Stansted Airp...
#1 of 4 in Stansted Mountfitchet
Holiday Inn Express Stansted Airport
Holiday Inn Express Stansted Air...
#4 of 4 in Stansted Mountfitchet
Radisson Blu Hotel London Stansted Airport
Radisson Blu Hotel London Stanst...
#2 of 4 in Stansted Mountfitchet
Hampton By Hilton London Stansted Airport
Ramada London Stansted Airport
Ramada London Stansted Airport
#2 of 3 in Bishops Stortford
Days Inn London Stansted Airport
Days Inn London Stansted Airport
#1 of 3 in Bishops Stortford

Been to Novotel London Stansted Airport? Share your experiences!