“Accidents will happen”

Novotel London Stansted Airport
Reviewed 14 August 2014

As you can see from the rating this will not be a happy review.

I will start off by saying this is possibly the worst hotel experience I have ever had, which is quite an achievement as I have been electrocuted at the Crowne Plaza London and witnessed and attempted murder at the Stay Inn in Manchester.

It started when I arrived at the Hilton Hotel in Stansted on the 12th of August 2014. my company had booked my a hotel for the night as I was down on business. having spend 8 hours driving and had many meetings I was looking forward to relaxing at the hotel.

The first thing that struck me was the smell. a musty smokey smell that said someone is smoke inside.it turns out that down the side corridor where my room was located people would smoke outside. It seems the air conditioning just recycled the stale acrid air and pumped it in to the rooms.

Next was the room, there was a dirty pair of socks on the floor, left presumably from the previous occupier. the large stain in the shower curtain and a huge spider. the spider I can forgive as they get everywhere but the rest wouldn't have taken any time at all to sort out.

I decided to use the gym, I needed a pond coin for the locker, the bar said they couldn't open the till without a purchase and Id have to queue behind the 7 people who just arrived to get a coin as no one could be bothered to be at the desk at he fitness centre. So 15 minutes later I get my coins and makes my wait to the fitness centre that smelled slightly of mold.

The sauna was not very warm, neither was the steam room.

A quick shower and back to my room.

I went to the restaurant to met by a stand in waitress who was unable to give me basic allergy information without running to the chef after every single question. however when the food arrived it was very nice and great value for money so zero complaints there.

The final straw, the main one that led to me writing this review was the sheer danger in the room. there is a step between the bathroom and sleeping area. there are no warning signs stating there is a step, no brightly coloured step to highlight there is a lip there is just dark coloured step around 1 inch high.

I caught my nail on my 2nd toe on this and it ripped off. the pain was incredible. There was blood everywhere having sliced in to my toe. I managed to wrap it in tissues and hobble to the phone to ask for a first aider. One arrived after about 10 minutes, they were friendly enough, stuck a plaster on my toe pressing the nail back on. they told me a housekeeper would be along to clean the blood up. No one arrived. after a mostly sleepless night of pain I gets up for work. I went to get a shower, in the bathroom sill covered in blood. the toilet blocked with bloody tissues which when flushed leaked water on the floor. I was also told that someone would take a statement at reception the next day. No one did this, I checked out without so much as an inquiry, further highlighting the lack of communication in this poor excuse for a hotel.

At breakfast in the morning I once again asked about the gluten free options available, I was told she didn't know, I suggested the waitress ask the chef, I was told "well Ill try but she is Lithuanian" Like this meant anything, surely if you have hired someone who cook for your guests they would know the English language and understand about allergies.

All in all this is the worst experience I have had at a hotel. I will have to under go surgery to remove the rest of the nail, days of pain from a dangerous room which is poorly designed and cleaned and staff that seem to have trouble with a very basic level of communication.

I would be very very worried about elderly or children in these rooms, my colleague stubbed her toe as well, she was lucky enough to be in shoes, she commented on how dangerous this design was, she was in a different room, clearly this hazardous design is a running theme. be very wary if you have older people with you or children, this could literally be the end of your vacation if they trip and injure themselves.

I will never stay here again despite being here regularly on business.

I didn't bother to complain to the hotel chain, try googling Hilton UK complains and see how far you get and you see will see what I mean. this company clearly care nothing about the customer experience and want to make it as difficult as possible to remedy issues.

This is why my comments are here. do not book, this si a dangerous hotel, poor staff training, poor communication

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank ABiker1979
StanstedManager, General Manager at Novotel London Stansted Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 3 September 2014

Dear Abiker1979

We appreciate the time you took to review your recent stay at Hilton London Stansted Airport.

I am sorry to learn of the accident which occurred on the step into the bathroom in your room.

If I can please ask for a few further minutes of your time to contact me so I may resolve this matter with you directly.

I look forward to hearing from you in due course.

Robert Watts
Hotel Manager
Robert.watts@hilton.com

Reviewed 12 August 2014

I booked us in to a twin room to avoid having to panic about getting to the airport on time in the morning. We still had a rush though. The 7am bus did not arrive and there was no explanation. When the 7.15 arrived the driver sounded his horn to alert his office which is in the hotel - not good for any guest who was still trying to sleep. On the return journey the timetable at the airport showed half hourly buses - a bit different to the 15 minute schedule given to us by the hotel. And don't be fooled by the 'location' on the web site. we timed our return journey which was at a quiet time on a Sunday and it took 10 minutes - and it costs £2.50 each, each way.
However the worst bit was the tiny room. The beds were thin mattresses on wooden bases not slatted - sheets of wood. The pillows were thin and the duvet lumpy. The fixtures and fittings were cheap plastic and there were washed-in stains on the sheets. The bedside lamp was falling off the wall and there was no complimentary water.
And there was one toilet roll - nearly finished.
When we checked in and went back to collect our car we found two receptionists. Ours on both occasions was called Kim - a smile would not go amiss. While her colleague was offering wake-up calls, and being helpful, Kim offered no conversation and was blunt to say the least. There was certainly no apology for the queue we had waited in which went out to the door.
My husband is a Hilton diamond card holder - he could not believe the photos we showed him.

Room Tip: Choose another hotel.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
StanstedManager, General Manager at Novotel London Stansted Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 13 August 2014

Dear CamberleyNel

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at Hilton London Stansted Airport.

I was concerned to read of your experience at the hotel and of the photos of your room. This is unacceptable and the Head Housekeeper and Facilities Manager join me in expressing our sincere apologies.

If I could please ask for a further few minutes of your time to contact me at the hotel so I can resolve this with you directly.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Reviewed 12 August 2014

Its an airport hotel that charges on the high side for everything but is large, well equipped and efficient. We weren't in the room for long as we had an early flight and any hotel experience is never good under those circumstances. However when we arrived late there was hot food available, free use of internet, tea making facilities and a good coach transfer system to airport. I found a car space quite easily and got out efficiently on my return.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family

Dear Alex R

Thank you for reviewing your recent stay at Hilton London Stansted Airport.

I am pleased that you found the hotel to be well equipped and that it met your needs.

The shuttle bus transfer is an ideal way to get to and from the airport and I am pleased that you found this to be the case.

Reviewed 11 August 2014

Booked as a park and stay package. Hotel looks good and generally was good, but let down by a few points. 1. The bed was so noisy it was unbearable. Every time you moved it made such a noise that it woke my partner. My travel partners in another room had the same problem, so it was not an isolated one, and they complained at 3:00AM only to be treated somewhat distantly. When asked if any other guests had complained they (pointedly) did not answer the question. All that was offered was a complimentary breakfast (which I already was entitled to and did not want) and a "free" courtesy bus to/from airport. NOT GOOD ENOUGH. The restaurant was very good - the staff excellent. The bar prices for wine were a joke - over £10 for a large wine!! I call it taking the Mick. Very disappointed. Would probably not stay there again simply because of the bed problem

Room Tip: Ask to test the bed first!!!!
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
StanstedManager, Manager at Novotel London Stansted Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 15 August 2014

Dear 22Martin22

We appreciate you taking the time to review your recent stay at Hilton London Stansted Airport.

I am pleased that you enjoyed dinner in the restaurant and service you received from the team.

With regards to your feedback regarding the bed in your room, I am sorry for the way in which this was dealt with by the team. When such reports are received our Head Housekeeper inspects the beds and where necessary these are replaced.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel when you are next travelling through Stansted.

Reviewed 11 August 2014 via mobile

Check in and parking good and good value as were flying very early.
Leisure facilities were good pool sauna jacuzzi all free
Room stinks of smoke in fact so does reception I thought Hilton would have replaced furniture since the law changed
Room is tatty and in need of a bathroom update rusty stains aplenty
Charge for wifi??? Really?? In this day and age fortunately I used BT
Dinner was lovely in the bar we had nachos burger & ribs all were excellent but took 1hour to arrive we complained to the duty manager and got complimentary drinks
All in all some good bits but this Hilton could easily be excellent with some easy changes- refurb & warm the kitchen 730pm maybe a peak service time

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
StanstedManager, General Manager at Novotel London Stansted Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 15 August 2014

Dear Lloydy444

Thank you for reviewing your recent stay at Hilton London Stansted Airport.

I am pleased that you found the hotel to represent good value for money and that you liked the LivingWell facilities we have available.

I was concerned to read that the bedroom you were given smelt of smoke as did the furniture. This is unacceptable and has been addressed with the Housekeeping team.

We do offer complimentary wireless internet access in all of our public areas, however if guests choose to access the internet in their room a charge is applied.

Our Head Chef is pleased that you enjoyed your dinner especially the nachos ribs and burger. However joins me in apologising for the delay that you encountered in receiving your food.

Reviewed 10 August 2014

Very efficient check in, clean and comfortable room. As a gold card member sometimes check in staff "forget" the perks - this time they were all there. I have no hesitation in thoroughly recommending.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
StanstedManager, Manager at Novotel London Stansted Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 12 August 2014

Dear Machiavelli4

I am pleased to read that you found the hotel to be clean and comfortable and you experienced an efficient check in.

I am glad that you would recommend the hotel to others and we look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.

Reviewed 9 August 2014

Slow check in (it was night time and we were tired, the check in alone took about half an hour), non-smoking room which reeked of cigarettes (which we didn't change as we desperately needed to sleep), water pool on the carpet by the bathroom door (which I stepped on barefoot, of course), suspicious stains on my bath towel, bath amenities for one (in a double room with double occupancy), a bed that made loud noises every time we moved (I kept waking myself up in the beginning of the night). To top it all, there was considerable dust on my night stand, and the room were my colleagues stayed had a Bible which read "do not throw away". Fortunately the check out was faultless and we were offered one complimentary stay. Still, disappointed as I had expected much better from a Hilton experience.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Dear Flavia S

I would like to apologise for the experience you encountered at the hotel and I am pleased that a member of the team was able to resolve this before you left the hotel.

Your experience does not represent our usual high standards and your feedback has been addressed with the team. I would like to apologise for the discomfort these caused to your stay.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Stansted Mountfitchet
Premier Inn London Stansted Airport Hotel
Premier Inn London Stansted Airp...
#1 of 4 in Stansted Mountfitchet
Holiday Inn Express Stansted Airport
Holiday Inn Express Stansted Air...
#4 of 4 in Stansted Mountfitchet
Radisson Blu Hotel London Stansted Airport
Radisson Blu Hotel London Stanst...
#2 of 4 in Stansted Mountfitchet
Hampton By Hilton London Stansted Airport
Ramada London Stansted Airport
Ramada London Stansted Airport
#2 of 3 in Bishops Stortford
Days Inn London Stansted Airport
Days Inn London Stansted Airport
#1 of 3 in Bishops Stortford

Been to Novotel London Stansted Airport? Share your experiences!