“Nice pub, friendly atmosphere, but let down by the food”

The Cock Public House
Price range: US$8 - US$23
Cuisines: Pub
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Traditional English Pub. Serving a range of Home Cooked Food 7 days a week. Sunday Roast start at £9.95 4 Cask Ales available together with a selection of Lagers and Cider. Extensive Wine List Restaurant and bar Area. Large Car Park
Bishop's Stortford, Hertfordshire
“Nice pub, friendly atmosphere, but let down by the food”
Reviewed 25 May 2014

We received a warm and friendly welcome on arrival at this traditional pub with comfortable surroundings. There was a good wide menu and although we didn’t want to see the meal deal of two meals for £12 menu we were never shown it.
I had the cumberland sausage served on a large bed of horseradish mash and topped with a mini yorkshire and red onion gravy. I was fully aware that no vegetables accompanied this and could have ordered some separately but at £9-95 for basic pub grub decided not to. The portion of mash was enormous, but without much taste.
My wife had the Homemade Ham Leek Honey & Mustard Pie with a puff pastry top & sweet potato fries. Underneath the puff pastry was a dish full of gravy and only five small pieces of ham and chopped up leak pieces floating inside and once more the cost was £9-95. The fries were skinny style served up in a tiny wire basket and we noticed at the table of the only other diners in the pub restaurant that this is also how they serve their chips, Yuk !!.
I then had the apple & cinnamon pie with custard and a good sized portion was served and was perfect but alas my wife had the chocolate brownie sundae which turned out to be a small grated brownie at the bottom, a little ice cream, half a strawberry and topped with large dollops of cream which as my wife can't eat cream was left and in fairness this was removed from the bill when I paid.
My wife had to grab something to eat when we got back home, so not a good experience for her. Mine was just about ok which is a shame as all of the staff were extremely friendly and helpful, but in future don't forget to let the diners know about the two meals for £12 offer as shown on their web site.

• Visited May 2014
1 Thank waller50

Cambridge, England, United Kingdom
“Family Lunch at The Cock Public House, Stansted, Essex”
Reviewed 5 May 2014

Our extended family meets up for lunch every six to eight weeks and we try various locations in and around Stansted. We visited The Cock last Saturday lunchtime and found it to be a warm friendly pub, good relaxed atmosphere, attentive staff and good pub grub. Generous portions at reasonable prices, varied menu, we'll go there again!

• Visited May 2014
1 Thank Margaret D
Bishops Stortford, United Kingdom
“Great for family meet up ”
Reviewed 3 May 2014 via mobile

Good pub food. Good space to sit ground and catch up. Friendly atmosphere. Enjoy the puds. Coffees not so great but refunded.

1 Thank WillStringer
Wisbech, United Kingdom
“Pleasant Sunday lunch”
Reviewed 9 April 2014

We called in here at midday on a Sunday after reading the favourable reviews on here....and can honestly say we were not disappointed.

My father-in-law had the lamb shank and it was huge and beautifully cooked, my wife had the roast chicken (and pronounced it among the best she's had when eating out) and I had the roast beef. The veg was all fresh and nicely cooked but my only (tiny) niggle is that my beef was a bit dry for my liking but fine if you like your roast beef well done. The beer was well kept, and we coudn't resist having the vanilla ice cream drizzled with honey and crushed pistachios on top for dessert- lovely.

We received a warm and friendly welcome; as we had our 10-month old baby with us they promptly provided us with a high chair for her and were very accommodating in that respect. When we left, we thought the price we paid was very reasonable and fair for the good standard of food and service we experienced - we shall call in again next time we're in this part of Essex.

• Visited April 2014
Henham, United Kingdom
“Good old-fashioned Pub!”
Reviewed 26 March 2014

Lovely old traditional pub set next to the village green and the church. Great location in summer with a cold Cider.
Food is also very good. I recommend a visit!

Visited March 2014