“Meet up with brother and family from Cork”
Review of The Dog & Duck

The Dog & Duck
Reserve with OpenTable
The Dog & Duck is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Reservations
Description: A traditional village pub with 2 separate bars - our chefs provide home cooked meals at reasonable prices using local produce where possible
Reviewed 9 November 2018 via mobile

Sadly this venue did not meet our expectations
Service was very slow but friendly. Portion size was okay, chicken was dry,beef strog was tasteless.
Would not go there again.

Reviewed 6 November 2018

Visited on a busy week day evening to find the traditional pub well supported by the locals either propping up the bars with their dogs or customers sitting in the 4 separate areas either just having a drink or eating a meal. The staff were very welcoming and helpful throughout our visit. Its well maintained and has attractive outside seating areas too.
We were served piping hot fine dining food at very reasonable prices that tasted very very good. One of my guests said the steak and ale pie was one of the best they had ever eaten.

Reviewed 3 November 2018

Went here for our monthly date night and booked it as the reviews were generally very good. I have never been to a place where we wanted to leave before we even ordered but we gave it a chance thinking it was us. So why did we think like that ? Well..firstly we were the only people booked in on a Saturday night and we found that unusual, then we were seated at a table which was in a very small "restaurant" area which also seemed to double as somewhere where anyone using the pub sits and so we were the only ones eating and this led to being stared at by others users who were not eating and most probably are wiser than us! The table mats were stuck to the table and what looked like a comprehensive menu soon showed it's true colours. My wife chose soup to start which was an odd tasting honeyed carrot mixture served with the type of small baguette that you buy in the frozen food section and cook at home. No issue with that really but the fact is it was not cooked and as I say the soup tasted very odd indeed. I had belly pork bites which had a greyness to them but tasted okay. The mains we chose were steak and ale pie and rump steak. The pie was large and meaty but had very little taste and the vegetables served with it were so hard that you could not even get a fork into them. The rump steak was cooked as I had ordered but most certainly was not 10 ounces as listed on the menu. I am a qualified butcher and I know a 10 ounce steak when I see one and I did not see one on my plate. It was served with allegedly triple cooked chips and these had an odd musty taste and did not have the crispness of triple cooking. I suspect they were frozen and thawed on several occasions before ending up with me. Needless to say we did not have a dessert and we did complain when paying only to be told that the chef would be told about it. To add insult to injury we were presented with the wrong bill and were told that it got mixed up as we had moved tables. There were 4 tables and we were the only ones eating so not sure how this could get confused. So unhappy with this place and certainly has a lot to do to get up to any sort of standard.

Reviewed 27 October 2018 via mobile

Prior to hotel check in Stansted we decided to find a pub for some dinner after long 5hr drive. Pub is on IHG app via open table so book table . Pub was lovely friendly helpful staff and just what we needed amazing home cooked dinner. There were 5 of us. We had lamb shank , lambs liver, ham and eggs, scampi, sausage and mash. Were offered small portions for kids which was great but they eat adult portion with a little help.. all in all great local pub for dinner great food and friendly staff. Would head here again if ever back at Stansted.

Date of visit: October 2018
Reviewed 30 September 2018 via mobile

Our cycling group of six people called in here today for lunch. The baguettes we ordered came with meat cut from fresh Sunday roasts and a bonus of a few roasties and gravy. Friendly and polite service and also good quality cask ales at a reasonable price. Well done!

Date of visit: September 2018