“Return visit”

Holiday Inn Express Stansted Airport
Nr Tunbridge Wells
“Return visit”
Reviewed 25 January 2014 via mobile

Have just had my second visit to this hotel and I would definitely return again if I needed to be close to the airport. Yes, you do have a small transfer charge from the airport, but it's convenient.
The hotel room was comfortable. I was concerned that I would be disturbed by the traffic noise from the front entrance of the hotel but I was not.
The bar is quite pleasant although there only seems to be one person serving. I had the crispy duck pancakes and I would avoid these in future. I did see some other plates of food which looked quite appetising.
Breakfast is free but don,t expect a full English.
In short I would recommend this if you want the convenience of being near the airport.

Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
Martin B, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Stansted Airport, responded to this review, 28 January 2014
Thank you for providing us with such a positive review. I am really pleased to see that we met most of your expectations and that you have chosen to stay with us again. I am sorry to see that the food you ordered wasn't to your taste but we have a varied menu so hopefully you will find something more to your taste on your next visit.

Again I thank you for your review and we look forward to seeing you next time you are passing through Stansted Airport.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (230)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed 19 January 2014

They make Holiday Inn Express hotels in the hotel equivalent of IKEA. Every one you visit is the same. Same bed, same room, same features, same door, same maintenance and hygiene issues.

I only stayed here because I was flying out from Stansted so I was not expecting a life changing experience.

The review of the room is the same as always. Relatively clean and well appointed, in need of maintenance on the door handles in the room. The shower could do with a good bleaching to get rid of some mould marking, no plugs next to the bed to charge my phone and also enable use as a night clock/alarm.

The bed was comfy enough and I did not have a bed night of sleep.

A few things that bug me are as follows -

The hotel charges to park in their car park. This should be included in the price of your stay or alternatively, include it in the price of the room as charging separately seems like some small print is missing from the booking. They need to adopt the rules that airlines have had to adopt - the price you see is the all in price you pay.

Wifi was poor. Again, they provide Wifi for free at a lower speed and advertise this as free Wifi which conjures up an image of "Free Wifi - the kind of Wifi you get for free in McDonalds or Strabucks at a decent speed". Alas, the speed is low, the bandwidth is shared so it keeps getting slower and if you want "Free McDonalds" type usable Wifi...you have to pay! Or, go to McDonalds across the road!

Check in was speedy, staff were friendly and breakfast was OK. All in all, not a bad place to spend the night but hardly fulfilling!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Martin B, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Stansted Airport, responded to this review, 23 January 2014
Thank you for your review.

As a hotel we are always striving to maintain and improve on room standards and therefore I thank you for your comments as It allows the teams to see where improvements can be made.

At Stansted Airport all the hotels charge car parking and as a brand we try to stay competitive within the market. I appreciate your feedback on how charges could be applied but we feel that we are being honest with our guests and advertise about the charges so that guests are fully informed before they stay.

The WIFI is still fairly new and so teething problems have occurred. We are certainly looking into what can be done to improve the speed of the WIFI.

Thank you for your positive comments about the team who will always try to accommodate your needs.

Thank you again for your review and we hope to welcome you back in the future.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 January 2014

I spent the xmas eve night there bcause I was flying the xmas day. Maybe because of the day the service was very disappointing. I was waiting at the reception for at least 3 minutes until someone see from inside. Ii called the reception 5 times but no one answered and the tall blonde guy inthe reception was surprised when I asked if the telephone is working. This hotel will be my last of the last choice. I will definitely not recommend to any of my friends. The reception staff was ridiculous.

• Stayed December 2013
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback.

I am extremely sorry to see that you did not feel welcome in our hotel. This is not the way we want our guests to feel. Due to the Christmas period there were reduced services but we tried to make sure we still accommodated the needs of our guests.

I will certainly be taking your feedback on board and be passing this onto the team to ensure that other guests to not have the same experience.

Again I hope you will accept my apology for this experience and I hope that one day in the future you will stay with us again, so you can see how friendly and helpful our team can be.

Stockholm, Sweden
Reviewed 17 January 2014

Its not that close to the airport but though a regular paid shuttle service provides easy access to the hotel.
Breakfast is available from morning 4AM but its really very basic.

I reached hotel at around 23.30. The hotel kitchen was closed therefore we could get nothing to eat. We had some packed food and wanted to get them heated but hotel staff didn't help us with that as well. Though the staff was in the kitchen , and heating in a microwave hardly takes a minute they didn't allow us that too.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for providing us with your feedback.

The morning breakfast is served from 4am - 10am with the hot selection (eggs, beans and sausage) being served from 6am.

I am sorry that you found the staff to be unhelpful. Our restaurant closes at 10pm however, we do advise guests that there is a 24 hours McDonalds near by and a small shop for late arrivals needing something to eat. As a hotel we have very strict guidelines on outside food entering the kitchen and it is at the discretion of the kitchen staff whether this can be done, particularly as we have industrial microwaves which heat food at different temperatures to standard household microwaves.

Again I am sorry that this situation occurred and I thank you for your feedback on this matter as it will allow us to improve on the way we handle these requests and ensure that we can fully accommodate the needs of our guests.

Travellers are raving about these Stansted Mountfitchet hotels

Limerick, Ireland
Reviewed 10 January 2014

We went to London on a shopping trip over Christmas and to avoid the hustle and bustle of the big city decided to stay at the Airport Hotel, The shuttle goes to and from the Airport quite regularly and only takes a few mins. The hotel is very clean and the beds comfortable very inexpensive and the staff are friendly. However the breakfast is basic enough and the Bar area very very quite and lacks any sort of atmosphere, but as we only used the hotel to avoid the city it more than met our needs.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Martin B, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Stansted Airport, responded to this review, 17 January 2014
Thank you for your feedback.

I am really pleased to see that the Hotel met your travel needs and expectations. I am also pleased that you found our staff to be friendly and that the room facilities were good. I thank you for your comments on the atmosphere in the bar. This is something we can certainly look into and see what can be done to improve on this.

I thank you again for your comments and hope to welcome you back in the future.

Ucluelet, Canada
Reviewed 7 January 2014

We recently stayed here on a leg of our journey, we had been in the area and found that the other local hotel were somewhat pricey , so decided to give this one a try as its close proximity to the airport was a bonus. Upon checking in the staff seemed nice and were very efficient . They set up my wifi on my ioad for me and got us settled. The room was comfy and seemed clean wifi worked great in room. The bathroom was very clean and I felt good about staying there until the next day upon leaving that I lifted the pillow on the couch and there was an inhaler and some medicine under it ,,,this gave me the impression that the room was not cleaned as thoroughly as I had thought. The shuttle was £3 each to the airport which haven't seen before usually shuttles are free and this was a very short ride. The lobby was warm and breakfast buffet was good. All in all not a bad hotel.

Room Tip: Very long halls , so at the end is very quiet.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for providing us with your feedback.

I am extremely pleased to see that you found our staff to be friendly and helpful. As a team they will always do there upmost to assist you in whatever way they can. Whilst I am also pleased about the positive comments you have made about the room facilities I am sorry to hear that other belongings were found in the room. It is normal procedure for the rooms to be double checked after they are cleaned and in this instance items have been missed, again I am sorry for this and hope that you still had a pleasant stay with us.

We hope to see you in the hotel again

Carcassonne, France
Reviewed 6 January 2014

Stayed for one night in early January 2014. Clean, quiet room with silent air con and comfy bed. Only 10 mins from the airport by shuttle bus which was convenient but not sure why they have to demand £3 for the ride. I would have thought the hotel could make the shuttle free and add a bit to the cost of the room - better marketing in my view. Supper was good and not too expensive for an airport hotel. Breakfast ordinary but plenty of it.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback.

I am really pleased to see that your recent stay with us met your expectations. The shuttle bus is run by a third party and therefore the cost is not within the hotels control. We do however, pride ourselves on being honest with our guests and try to make every effort to ensure that guests are informed of any additional charges that they may incur prior to their stay.

We hope to welcome you back to the hotel in the future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Stansted Mountfitchet
Premier Inn London Stansted Airport Hotel
Premier Inn London Stansted Airp...
#1 of 4 in Stansted Mountfitchet
4.5 of 5 bubbles 3,450 reviews
Radisson Blu Hotel London Stansted Airport
Radisson Blu Hotel London Stanst...
#2 of 4 in Stansted Mountfitchet
#2 of 3 in Bishops Stortford
Avalon Stansted Lodge
Avalon Stansted Lodge
#1 of 2 in Elsenham

Been to Holiday Inn Express Stansted Airport? Share your experiences!