“Glorious Gollu”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Hilvan
Nomad Village Home Stays
Reviewed 2 May 2014

Staying at the Gollu home of Ali and Ayten was definitely one of the highlights of my recent trip to Turkey. The home stay offered a great balance of interaction and solitude; at times, visitors would keep to themselves to nap or reflect on the day, but during the evenings we (including the family) would all gather for dinner and tea. The food was excellent, and most of the ingredients came straight from the village. The hospitality and overall experience were outstanding.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends

Reviewed 1 May 2014

My wife and I spent two nights at the homestay in Gollu. There was a full house while we were there, four from our group and four more from two other smaller groups, yet there was never any shortage of homemade food or hot tea. Of the 5 nights we spent in Turkey, the best sleep we got was in Gollu. Maybe it was thanks to the thick quilts filled with wool from the sheep on which the villagers here base their livelihood. Note: as a married couple, we slept in a room separate from the other single travelers, who shared the other larger bedroom. This was my first homestay in any country, so I was not sure what to expect, especially since I'd never been to this part of Turkey and don't speak the language (others among our contingent did, however, which was helpful). Ali and Ayten and their children made us feel very welcome. They seemed to know how to put everyone at ease. I enjoyed sitting in the shade of the white mulberry tree in the garden, a point from which you can see everything that goes on in this quiet village. In the late afternoon, the sheep would return from grazing, and after the milking (with guests being invited to help), the lambs are reunited with their mothers. There were times when we would just sit and read a little, or when the foreigners would talk among themselves. But the evening gathering for tea after dinner with the whole family were what it was all about, getting to know people whose way of life seems so different on the surface but with whom, after all is said and done, we have so much in common.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Jim B
Reviewed 22 April 2014

My husband and I had a wonderful time staying in Gollu for one night. It was a fantastic insight into the lives of rural people in the region. Ali and Ayten were extremely hospitable and kind to us. The food was delicious and soothing. The house itself was much more modern and comfortable than I had expected and we slept wonderfully. I was very sad to leave!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 February 2014

Much has been said in other reviews about the amazing Kurdish hospitality on show at a homestay. I would wholeheartedly agree with every positive comment shared elsewhere. It was a highlight of our trip to Turkey and I would recommend it highly.

I should really add that dealing with Alison at Nomad Tours Turkey is a delight. She was able to accommodate a couple of rather flakey twenty-something travellers at the last possible moment and made everything come together perfectly.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 November 2013

My homestay in Yuvacali was one of my best memories from my trip to turkey. The family is lovely and they tryed to make me feel confortable in everyway. Food was amazing, sleeping very confortable.

I stayed 2 nights, and although i don't speak turkish or kurdish, we always find a way to comunicate. One of my nicest memories is to go out for a walk alone in the vilage and suddenly seeing myself surround by the village kids. I am usually very shy with kids but i felt very close to this group: They taught me many turkish and kurdish words, show me the village and where can i find natural hena and how and when can i use it.

I also want to leave a word of apreciation for the work of nomad tours. You are much more than professionals - you are truly friendly and helpful.

I miss words to explain how nice it was, you just have to try it :)

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 9 October 2013

We spend 3 nights at this homestay in Yuvacali and enjoyed this time at this pleasent family. Pero is a really good cook and all the day working for her guests.Halil never lost his delight to teach us some kurdish phrases and Fatih,the youngest son, has a great potential to entertain you.
Sleeping on the roof - for us a highlight too.
For those who want to peep into kurdish village life - that is the right place.
We also recommend the half day trip to the animal market at Siverek and the visit of nomad family.
These days at Yuvacali - we never want to miss...

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 September 2013

We had been roused from a sound and restful sleep, just after 5:30 a.m., by the day's first Call to Prayer. The Village Mosque was just a short distance down the dirt street. We were beginning the third week of a three week visit to Turkey in Yuvacali, a small Kurdish village in the south-east of the country.The household where we were enjoying home stay accommodations was awakening. Pero, the mother in the family, was quickly outside to release the flock of chickens and turkeys to begin their day of scratching and searching for food. Halil, her husband, was off to the barn to feed the resident six lambs and then the four cattle staked out and quietly waiting under short trees in the yard. As it does in farm families around the world, the day begins by attending to animal needs first.
Now, Pero shifted her attentions to the needs of the human members of the family. Flat bread was baked in an open-fire oven in the yard and tea was served on the porch. We considered ourselves fortunate to be considered members of this family on this day.
This part of our visit to Turkey, along with the four days that followed exploring other fascinating destinations in this region had been masterfully arranged by Nomad Tours Turkey. From the very first steps in planning a visit, until we said goodbye to Omar, our Nomad Tours driver and
travelling companion, as we departed, our trip could not have better put together. Helpful, professional advice, amazingly punctual replies to e-mail enquiries, friendly and personable delivery of every item on our itinerary by Nomad Tours made this a travel experience that rates in the top three of any tour my wife and I have taken anywhere in our extensive travels around the
world. We felt safe, enjoyed delicious food, made friends and marvelled at the sites we visited. The home-stay with Pero, Halil and family, lunch with Kurdish nomads in their summer tent, Gobekli Tepe, Mt. Nemrut and just spending time and travel moments between the Tigris and Euphrates were highlights of a journey that would be difficult to top.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Barry B

Been to Nomad Village Home Stays? Share your experiences!