“A fantastic place!”

La Buena Vida Hotel- Ayampe
Ranked #1 of 5 Ayampe B&B and Inns
“A fantastic place!”
Reviewed 29 May 2014

I visited La Buena Vida this past January while on a study abroad trip in Ecuador and I'm so glad I made the trip! The owners, Keith and Marilyn, were so helpful in getting my reservation setup and providing additional information so that I could make my travel plans (I traveled to Ayampe by bus from Quito). I knew I was in good hands from the start, and my entire stay was excellent. Ayampe is a great surf spot- and it's so nice to see such a beautiful and peaceful area that hasn't been over-run by hotel chains and droves of tourists. If you're thinking about visiting Ecuador, I strongly recommend this place!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Jessica H

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
South Lake Tahoe, California
Reviewed 14 May 2014 via mobile

My husband and I booked the performer packages and a few extra nights at La Buena Vida for our anniversary this year. We were greeted at the airport at around 1:00 am by the friendly driver (this was included in the package) and driven 3 hours to our room. We were greeted as we woke up by Keith and Marilyn, (the owners) who were personable and warm right away, and introduced us to the staff and showed us around. We took surf lessons with Keith over the next week. These were the most beneficial lessons we have ever had (we've had lessons twice before) because Keith taught us things about reading waves, how to improve our paddle strokes, and really be able to surf on our own! We definitely earned our waves on our own, not without getting tumbled before though! The video analysis (also included in the package) was a breakthrough day for us...it's crazy to see yourself on film, and it let's you see what you need to be doing differently to improve!
The atmosphere in the common area and dining area is so comfortable. Keith and Marilyn are around the hotel every day always making sure everyone is taken care of, Marilyn even made us an amazing dinner reservation for our anniversary under a private cabana with tiki torches, AND they bought us a bottle of wine to take to dinner! The staff all called us by name and were so helpful and friendly, especially Lisa, we even played Surf Edition Monopoly with her and a few other guests one night! We each also got 1 massage (included in the package too!) and after receiving Andreitas' massage I had 2 more massages and my husband had another massage also! By the end of our stay at La Buena Vida it felt like we had become part of the family, which made it very hard to leave, and is what makes this hotel so charming! Highly recommend this place!

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank KelliTomP
Boca Raton, Florida
Reviewed 11 May 2014 via mobile

I have spent 5 days birdwatching Ayampe and could not have chosen a more perfect hostería. My room is very comfortable and clean. It is quiet here and very safe. All the staff have been kind, considerate and accomodating. I will return.

Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank John E
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 5 May 2014

We stayed at La Buena Vida for 5 nights. We had expected to stay for only two. While the speciality of this hotel is offering great options for surfers it does a fantastic job of hosting non-surfers too [like us]. The rooms are very nice, breakfast is delicious, the option for a fresh salad hand tossed with many agreements was a welcome treat. Marilyn and Keith were great hosts. They helped us with ideas for places to visit in the area with tips on restaurants and sights. The communal breakfast area was a great place to mingle with other guests and hear stories about the activities of others for that day. So even if you are not a surfer I recommend giving this hotel a try if you are in traveling along the Costa del Sol in Ecuador.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Colleen E
Kabul, Afghanistan
Reviewed 27 April 2014 via mobile

I stayed a week in Ayampe at Marilyn and Keith's place and had the most wonderful time!
I travel a lot and this was one of the rather spontaneous escapes from NYC, but it was easy to arrange, because communication by email was easy and speedy.
I booked the Performer surf package to improve my surfing skills. What a great deal! From the airport pick-up,to surf equipment, to lessons, food and lodging - everything was included.
The rooms are spacious and clean, the breakfast plentiful and delicious and the whole staff/team feels like family by the time you leave.
The surfing package included the board rental, 6 sessions in the water, two fitness classes, video "critique" and - ahhh!, bliss - a massage by the amazing in-house therapist Andrea.
As for Ayampe - this quiet little village is just the right place for a strung-out city person like me to unwind and relax... The locals are friendly and very helpful. The beach is wonderful to lay out, take long strolls - oh, and of course to catch waves!!!

If you are looking to escape to a surfing destination with warm water, consistent waves, mellow people and an excellent place to lay your head (and your boards), La Buena Vida Hotel in Ayampe is the place to go... during my week several repeat guests were there for their annual stay, and I most certainly will become one of them!

• Stayed April 2014
1 Thank Sfoersch
Cuenca, Ecuador
Reviewed 25 April 2014

I traveled to Ecuador for the second time this past January and met up with good friends Keith and Marilyn. Although I didn't stay at La Buena Vida this time around, I did have an incredible, mind-blowing Reiki experience with resident practitioner, Andrea. If you are looking for luxury and affordability, this is the place to be for sure.

I will most definitely be back.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank SeanOH440
New York City, New York
Reviewed 24 April 2014

This was my second time back to La Buena Vida in Ayampe and it was even better than the first! I am a pretty frequent traveler and I usually never visit the same place more than once because there is so much more to see... but this place is really special!

For busy people looking for some peace, quiet, good waves, this is the place to go.

The waves are beautiful, people are nice, rooms clean and safe...

Keith and Marilyn run a great gem!

Everyone in the town and the guests are all so friendly, such a great escape from NYC, I love it here!

Yearly trip for me for sure...

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ayampe
Hostal Kundalini
#3 of 13 in Ayampe
El Campito Art Lodge
El Campito Art Lodge
#2 of 13 in Ayampe

Been to La Buena Vida Hotel- Ayampe? Share your experiences!