“Be careful here, you won't want to leave!”

La Serrana Eco Farm and Hostel
Reviewed 21 January 2013

I booked four nights at La Serrana after meeting several people on my travels who'd recommended it and honestly, everything they said about it being one of the best places on their travels is true. I wound up staying almost two weeks! The nightly food in the dining room is so well priced (between 12 - 13,000 COP) and delicious with generous servings. Everyone eats together in a restaurant setting with candles in the gorgeous dining room around huge tables, so meeting people here and making friends is inevitable.

You'll feel like you've found a new home. The staff are all super friendly, also I love the comfy sofas and TV with DVD collection, the way everyone sits up and plays guitar and sings, or goes into town for the amazing trucha (fish) lunches, some of which are only 6,000 COP!

Dorms are cosy, the showers are always hot and bathrooms are cleaned regularly.... I really can't fault this place. Free WiFi is fast. It's like a home from home that sucks you in, and the stunning scenery is just great for relaxing the mind and soul after too much partying in Medellin! Oh, and the included breakfasts are yummy - have the fried eggs or pay 4,000 COP for the French toast. I never wanted to leave La Serrana!

Room Tip: Opt for a private room!
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled solo

Reviewed 20 January 2013

I stayed at this hostel while travelling through Central and South America last year. I can honestly say it was one of my favourite hostels of the whole trip. If you are looking for somewhere to relax while enjoying the beautiful countryside in Salento then stay at La Serrana. It is just outside Salento in a quiet mountain area and closer to many of the coffee plantations. The staff are fantastic, they told us all about the different tours you can do around Salento (go horse riding and to valle de cocora) and were more than happy to have a casual chat too. The rooms are clean, the common spaces are great and they do communal food which is delicious and much more varied than your standard Colombian frijoles con arroz!

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 20 January 2013

It is an amazing place, magical one, which provides you an amazing customer services for your all needs. The people in the village are very kind and so are the people back at La Serrana. The combination of the great view, the workers, the food, the service and the special atmosphere in that place create a perfect ground for people who seek after the quite and "tranquillo" places in their trip. I have spent my best times there! And for me the best worker is Carol..she will give you the best service and her perfect smile will be a clue of what is going on there!

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 16 January 2013

I didn't actually manage to stay here. I tried. In fact, I had a booking which I made over the phone (on the owner's phone number, apparently). I initially tried to book for 2 nights but was told the Wed & Fri were full so I just booked a dorm bed for the Thurs. This was on the Tues afternoon. Later that day I emailed with an enquiry about getting to Valle de Cocora from the hostel and was asked how I made my booking. I said I had made it over the phone a couple of hours previously and asked if everything was OK. About 24 hours later I received an email ignoring the fact that I had a reservation and telling me that they only had a private available for Thurs night at 70,000 COP and was I interested! I tried to call 2 different numbers and they both went to voicemail so I emailed back reiterating that I already had a reservation for Thurs in the dorm and asking for someone to call me on my Colombian mobile as no one was answering the phones. Nothing...nada. For a place that is a good 20 mins walk or a 6,000 COP taxi ride from town the customer service needs to be much better. It is not like you can take the risk and just show up there and if they have messed up the booking you can go somewhere else nearby. More than anything, though, this is completely rude and inconsiderate. Perhaps the management feels that they have enough good reviews and don't need to respect bookings any more. All the communications were in Spanish so it can't be put down to language.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled solo
La Serrana S, Manager at La Serrana Eco Farm and Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 February 2013

We are very sorry that you did not have the opportunity to stay with us. It is no excuse but we had to train someone in the middle of the high season. Unfortunately your phone call reservation was the first one he took and accepted because he thought that other people were checking out. We made a mistake and apologize for that. We were able to find a private room for you to stay in and tried calling you several times but your phone was turned off. It is most likely because you were hiking in the Valley and did not have reception. That week was the busiest of the year and we had hundreds of phone calls to answer which is very difficult for a rather small hostel. It is possible that we didn't answer a call due to this fact. Our goal is always to make our customers happy above all else and if you had stayed with use we would have done what ever possible to make sure that you enjoyed your stay with us. We are sorry that we missed that opportunity. Our guest walk or pay 6000 pesos to stay with us because they get something more attractive to them than they do in town and we truly appreciate that. We'd really like that you could come someday and spend sometime with us at the hostel and experience the place the way it should be. We hope that enjoyed your time in Colombia and once again apologize for any inconvenience that we have caused.

Reviewed 7 January 2013

Amazing staff, food, people, I got stuck here for weeks (stayed on two occasions, four one on my first visit and one week the second time, both times did not want to leave). I camped for the entire time which was beautiful, the landscape in Salento is absolutely stunning.

The hostel has everything you could possibly need, you can cook if you wish, though Olga's kitchen is amazing for the food you get and what you pay! Breakfast is included, with extras if you need or want more.

Room Tip: Use your tent! Though 10,000COP is a little expensive for camping.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 24 December 2012

I came to La serrana for the first time in April and have been back 2 times since then. There is a fantastic vibe and amazing views of the mountains and valleys around the hostel. The food is delicious and served up by some lovely local colombian ladies!! I reccomend La seranna to anyone who is coming through the region, it has become one of my favourite hostels and places to relax in south america!!!

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank phatzipants
Reviewed 22 December 2012

A home away from home. It sounds cliché, I know. But for La Serrana it really does stand true.

After being on the road for a while, jumping from city to city, sometimes you just want to find a place to stop and put your bags down. La Serrana is that place. Breakfast is cooked for you each day and the most delicious dinners are served each weeknight. The days are spent hiking, horseback riding, visiting coffee farms – or (my personal favourite pastime) lying in a hammock with good book. It is not a party hostel but rather a social one; the people the hostel attracts are of the social variety, with stories and experiences worth sharing, ones you will sit chatting with over a coffee or a beer or three.

Combine all this with gorgeous surroundings, comfortable beds, hot water, cleanliness, internet, and the friendliest staff ,and there you have the reason why you will hear so many people staying at La Serrana saying “I only intended on coming for a couple of nights but I am still here…”

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled solo