“sorry for the horses and donkeys”
Review of Askos Stone Park

Askos Stone Park
Ranked #2 of 8 things to do in Volimes
Reviewed 16 July 2014 via mobile

We visited in a hkt day in summer, so maybe not typical. The park is well laid out, and guides are helpful and hard working. An interesting collection of animals, and many can roam freely (deer, peacocks) but the 2 donkeys and especially the horse andShetland pony had insufficient shade and room to move. The ribs if the horse were clearly visible. So a good idea, especially for children, but I came away feeling sad.

There are newer reviews for Askos Stone Park

Reviewed 22 June 2014

Me and my boyfriend love animals so Askos stone park was something we really looked forward too, and we weren't disappointed.

After paying the very reasonable entrance fee (I think it was about 8 euros for an adult), which included a map of the park, available in a variety of languages, and a bottle of water, you enter to be welcomed by some adorable deer, rabbits, cats and a variety of other wildlife.

Most of the animals are allowed to roam freely which is lovely to see as they aren't confined in cages, although some (for obvious reasons) are, they have access to food, space and entertainment, which as a guest is satisfying to see. You are allowed to feed some of them too which was a great experience! (The food is provided by guides standing nearby the areas the animals tend to congregate in.)

The staff were really friendly, especially the wonderful guy in the part where you pay who when we asked where the nearest taxi rank was ordered us a taxi (with our permission) that was cheaper than the one we arrived in! Our guide didn't appear to speak much English, however he was able to instruct how to feed the animals clearly using demonstrations, and always seemed to be smiling. We especially appreciated that our guide fetched and allowed us to hold turtles which were in a pen as they were very young.

The trees and other features of the park are also lovely and clearly labelled, so we learnt a little something too! :)

While this is a brilliant, well maintained park, there are steps and some bits of quite uneven ground. This was no problem for us, however I imagine with a pushchair/wheelchair it may have been a little difficult. Apologies, I have no idea if the park has disabled access etc.

I'd recommend taking a camera, some of the animals are ridiculously photogenic!!

N.b. We stayed in Kalamaki (the other side of the island) and got a taxi to St Nicholas Port which cost around 45 euros (one way). From there we decided to walk to the park not expecting it to be far but it was up some quite steep hills, and at one point we weren't sure we were going the right way as the signs seemed to have disappeared! So if visiting I'd recommend getting transport to the attraction, not somewhere near, but that was our mistake, nothing to do with the park!

4  Thank Charlotte G
Reviewed 21 May 2014

The park is a delight for small children. At the entrance there are toilets and seats, and there was a deer and a large white rabbit wandering around. There are a lot of animal feeding opportunities as you walk the 1 kilometre circuit round a small valley. The paths and enclosures are attractively done and the landscape of olive trees and wild flowers is typical of this part of the island. The staff are friendly and helpful, and on hand to help with feeding. I was surprised to read about the deer injury, there was no sense of any danger when we were there and our three year old grandson fed several.
The paths are made of rough stones and there are quite a lot of steps, so it isn;t possible to take a baby buggy round. As grandparents with a 1 and 3 year old we found it a bit of a challenge but managable. There are several places to stop and sit down and parents wouldn't have a problem. You are given a bottle of water each when you enter so it is useful to have a bag.
We were staying nearby but it would be possible to visit as part of a trip to Agios Nicaloas from other parts of Zante. The port is where the ferry to Kefalonia leaves from, and trips out to the blue caves and the shipwreck. It also has good tavernas including one right on the beach. Askos Stone Park is only ten minutes away.
We took our time and were there for around two hours. I would thoroughly recommend a visit, particularly if you have young children. They do get you to wash your hands after the last feeding station - racoons.

Reviewed 5 February 2014

This park is definetly worth visiting.

There you will have a short walk (about 40 minutes) during which you will be able to feed animals.
On a certain parts of the route you meet guides that provide you with the food for animals and are ready to answer yur yuqestions.y

If you want to feel youself as part of a nature, go there!

1  Thank Irina K
Reviewed 20 September 2013

We went here for a break from the beaches and the heat. We were looking forward to feeding the animals as read about on earlier reviews. Didn't go well. At the first feeding area you are given branches to feed the deer unfortunately Father deer didn't like me and I ended up with 3 stitches in my arm the staff doused my arm in iodine and patched me up with sticky plasters and whilst they were very sympathetic I did think a better first aid box and knowledge would've been more useful. If I had been a child it could've been much more serious as I blocked the deers antler with my arm hence the injury a child would not have done that.

1  Thank liztayiom