“Enthusiastic Guide”

Chateau de Montreuil-Bellay
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Reviewed 5 August 2017 via mobile

I thoroughly enjoyed my visit to the Chateau this morning. The tours are usually in French though there is an English tour at 2.30. My tour was in French which I speak reasonably fluently. Our guide really knew her brief and was keen to share her knowledge with us. You visit the kitchen which was originally mediaeval and was upgraded over the centuries. The cellars have also been used for different purposes over the centuries, most recently for wine, though no longer. The living quarters in the Chateau neuf dating from the 16th century, have some wonderful furniture including a marriage chest of the wife of Henri IV. After the tour you can taste the wines of the Chateau.

All reviews
"centuries"
"century"
"vineyards"

Reviewed 15 June 2017

We had a leaflet about this place in French and English and it looked to be an interesting one so drove to see it.

Quelle disappointment! The visits are guided only and then only in French, neither of these nuggets of gold are in the leaflet, in either language. Fine if you are fluent in French, lets face it they take no prisoners with the speed of speech but with my rusty schoolboy and the wife’s non-existent it would have been 22e down the moat! So, it looks good from the outside, inside is anybodies bet.

I do find it quite strange though that there a any number of reviews here mentioning the guides spoke English etc. It was made very clear to me it was French, take it or leave it, perhaps they simply could not be bothered with two hot and weary looking Brit’s towards the end of the day. Who knows? Anyway we made a swift Brexit.

Good job we were staying fairly close by or I might have been really ticked off.

Reviewed 5 May 2017

We took the guided tour in group of ten visitors and the tour was conducted in French, which we did not speak. However, the pleasant guide was well-conversant in English and readily answered the questions we put to her. The tour itself was well worth it and we enjoyed strolling in the well-tended to gardens leading down to the river.

Reviewed 28 April 2017 via mobile

Very interesting place. Took a French language tour as English ones don't start until May. However, English language notes are provided, so they provided (for me)the missing 50%. Guide had English parents, was very good and provided details in English. Wine tasting afterwards and couldn't help buying some.