“Sun Sea and Surf: This place has it all!”
Review of Tristram Campsite

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Polzeath
Tristram Campsite
London, United Kingdom
“Sun Sea and Surf: This place has it all!”
Reviewed 16 June 2014

We camped here for 3 nights and were very impressed by what we encountered and also the service we received.

Its easy to find when you come in to Polzeath as you drive through town and up the hill at the end, its the clearly signposted although the hill is rather steep but does flatten out once you turn into the site itself. Entrance by car is through a locked and secure gate at the top of the site and by foot is at the bottom through a single garden gate that links the site to the coastal path. This bottom gate is the main access point to the beach (down a slight but well worn cliff) and also the town.

The site is vast and spread over 3 fields that cater for all kinds of camping units, being able to accommodate tents, caravans and camper vans with surprising ease. They try and keep the various different types separate but due to the chaotic nature of camping sites sometimes this is not always possible. However the upside to this is that if you are camping you will never be far away from a mains power supply, perfect for charging phones, iPads or other electrical appliances! The fields themselves are on a hill so there is a slight camber and its especially noticeable on the sides where there is an additional slope but for the most part the site is flat, well maintained and drains well, key if you are camping! As well as camping the site also offers bungalows for hire as well, of which there are 3. These are located on the site itself and are within the complex.

Pitch space is not really at a premium, although this may depend on the type of pitch you book, we easily fitted our 4 man tent on the site and were surprised to see that we had one of the smaller tents, compared to the huge marquee style ones that were being erected next to us. If you are in doubt about the size of your tent in relation to the pitch just phone them up and they will be happy to advise you.

There are 2 bathroom blocks on site which are clean and provide everything you could want, toilets, machine washers, tumble dryers, showers, sinks and hairdryers. There are places to do your washing up and also outside areas for cleaning off wetsuits and other beach related paraphernalia. the only thing that was lacking was hand dryers in the bathrooms. There is a basic shop in the reception area that sells basic camping goods and a small selection of food, but the local SPAR is only a 5 minute walk and is much better stocked. The site also boasts its own cafe, although i cannot review this as we did not eat there, but by all accounts its seemed to offer standard beach cafe food and was well attended.

The staff were polite and helpful, even allowing us to check in and erect our tent early and showing us personally to our pitch explaining the best way to set up and also where we should park our car so that it did not hinder access for others. They were also very helpful in letting us know about the local attractions and also walks that ran along the coast, especially the delightful walk to Rock and Padstow that follows the trail by the campsite itself.

Highlights and Plus Points:

Perfect location
Large site
Easy access to beach, town and coastal path
Secure and safe
Well maintained and clean
Polite and cheerful staff
Rabbits

Negative points:

No hand dryers
Slope can cause problems with stability of chairs tables...etc (but this is unavoidable and not really a criticism)

Overall this is the probably the best place to camp if you are staying in Polzeath.

Room Tip: There are a mixture of pitches to choose from, all offer good views and are within access of the bea...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Chris L

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Truro, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 June 2014

This is a brilliant location and yes the staff are extremely friendly but you do pay for it! We booked a prime pitch but wouldn't bother to do that if we go again. The pitch we had was the steepest we've ever stayed on and had we wanted to pitch a tent, then I don't think we would have stayed. I noted several people whose electric cable wasn't quite long enough and water, for us, was about 100yds away. It cost us £104 for 2 nights over the bank holiday weekend which really is extreme, for the quality of the pitch, only to find that the showers cost 50p. None of the "premier" pitches were available, but if you're prepared to pay the price then they really are excellent, flat and with amazing views of the beach.
We had a lovely time and I'm quite sad to report such negatives but if you're prepared to pay then there's no problem!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Bimingham
Reviewed 27 May 2014

Every year, since I was born, I’ve been going to Polzeath (sometimes more than once a year) and have stayed in most places in the village and elsewhere.

When I’ve been camping, I’ve usually stayed at the Valley Campsite or South Winds, only this year my boyfriend and I chose Tristram. He’s been there loads of times, but I believe I’ve been there before, when I was a child.

It was a very good choice; the location is great, as the views of the beach and coastline are spectacular and also the campsite is half way up the hill, meaning that what could have been a killer walk to the Oystercatcher Pub, is less painful on the legs and lungs!!!

Also, the campsite has a pathway that leads to the beach. It is perfect for getting to the water whilst carrying a surfboard and it is merely a very short walk – I even managed it barefooted!

Not only is the location more ideal for us, in comparison to other places I’ve stayed, but I liked that it is not an overly big campsite and the pitches and the facilities are in good condition too. The campsite is also very quiet.

We had a 4 man tent and we stayed on a standard pitch, with an electrical hookup. The electric point was really close and was on the fence behind the tent, so we didn’t need our large extension cable. The size of the pitch was fine; there was enough space for our tent and car, with space to sit outside in our camping chairs and so on. I noticed other people had much larger tents than ours and they too coped fine for space.

The facilities are good too, but as we were only staying there for a couple of nights and ate out all the time, we didn’t need to clean any pots or pans, so we only used the showers and toilets. I noticed there were washing machines and dryers too.

To use the showers, it costs 50p a time, which did give me plenty of time to shower properly; however when I put my money in the slot, the shower starts immediately, so I needed to prepare myself beforehand and put all my shampoos and stuff in the cubicle to be prepared and just nip in and out - just a tip! There was a hairdryer, at 20p a time, but I had my own dryer and used it in my tent as I had electric.

Based onsite too is an Indian Restaurant, which I would recommend, as the food was delicious; however you need to book a table as it was very busy the night we went.

Overall this is a great campsite and should I go camping again in the future in Polzeath, it is likely that I’ll choose to stay here as opposed to any other campsite in the village. Not that I dislike the other campsites, only the walk to the pub is a killer!

I can't wait to go back again this year; hope to see you again soon - thanks Tristram!!!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 May 2014

This is my favourite campsite in Cornwall.
Only growing up about an hour away my parents used to still bring us here for 2 weeks every summer (and more if we could) and I have now started coming as an adult with my friends.

The campsite is perfectly located to the beach, the staff are friendly and the atmosphere is welcoming.
Polzeath is small but perfectly formed, has everything you require, the campsite offer surfboard and wetsuit hire and the beach is a stones throw away.
Polzeath is perfectly located for a day trip to neighbouring beaches and Padstow via the passenger ferry to Rock.
Campsite has a fantastic view and is perfect for a Cornish get away, I'd highly recommend!

• Stayed May 2014
Paul76r, General Manager at Tristram Campsite, responded to this review, 10 May 2014
Hi Anna,

Thanks for the lovely review. Its so nice seeing the next generation starting to come and stay and bringing their own families after spending summer holidays with their parents, although it does make me feel old!

Look forward to seeing you again.
Bagshot, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 April 2014

Great site, plenty of room, good facilities and amazing views over the beach, which is about 1 min away. Also great Indian restaurant on site as well (just what you need when you're freezing your bits off)....

Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Alan G
Reviewed 22 April 2014

Great campsite, Great views, Lovely staff and good facilities. Everything that you might want from a Campsite really, the guys there are very friendly and while pitches are a little pricy it is well worth it for the better location, more friendly staff and better facilities.

Note for surfers, the pitches here allow you a great view of the waves from your tent door...Ideal.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank Bob J
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 October 2013

The Tristram campsite has one of the absolute best locations on the south coast, situated directly on the cliffs above the beach, which is not only convenient but makes for some spectacular views. The site itself is very well maintained with good facilities and very helpful staff, and the atmosphere is relaxed both in off-season and peak-season, despite being quite a large site. Both times I was camping in a two person tent with car, for which the prices were really quite reasonable given the great location. Really good overall, and will definitely be going back.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Polzeath
St. Moritz Hotel
#1 of 1 in Constantine Bay
The Slipway
The Slipway
#3 of 4 in Port Isaac

Been to Tristram Campsite? Share your experiences!