“Faultless”
Review of Horsley Lodge

Horsley Lodge
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Horsley
Reviewed 7 April 2014

We had our wedding here at the end of March this year; from the moment we drove up to it back in 2011, we fell in love with the place. Our day could not have gone smoother; in the run up, and right through the day, Laura and the staff were absolute pro's and a credit to the business. We had nothing but positive comments from our guests on everything, my uncle who works for a golf club elsewhere was particularly impressed with the food and the waiting staff. My wife spent the night before in the barn cottage with her bridesmaids and had their recently introduced afternoon tea; we both stayed the wedding night in there.

We've eaten in the restaurant, and the bar a few times and have been equally impressed

Room Tip: For a bit of extra luxury, book the barn cottage, it's a world away from the rest of the club an...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 1 April 2014

I had my wedding at horsley lodge. We had the ceremony the wedding breakfast and the evening do there and it was perfect. The staff went out there way to meet all our needs and I can honestly say every need was met. The food was fantastic and again was worked around what I wanted. They sorted out everything I needed including vegiterians and celiac. The wedding planner did everything she could to make sure my day was perfect and ran as smootly as possible. Anyone who gets married hear will be very pleased and the rooms are all lovely. Thank you horsley

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 March 2014

We visit every March for Sunday lunch to celebrate my late son's birthday, a large family group with a couple of close friends. We keep going back, as it's become a tradition, and we used to visit for my son's birthday when he was still alive. Some years have been better than others, but this year in particular I felt was a bit of a let down. Our friends live in Essex, and randomly got a phone call before Christmas asking them if they'd bring the booking forward from 2pm to 1pm. We always book the latest sitting, as we don't like to feel rushed, so they were a bit upset. I rang the restaurant and was told that it was my friend who had altered the time, not the hotel, which I knew wasn't true. My friend then rang them again and was told that they could do the original booking of 2pm, or even later if she liked, and they couldn't understand why she'd been asked to change. The whole thing was a total mess up. Anyway, we arrived and were promptly seated. Most years we've been seated in the lounge area first for a pre meal drink, but this year we felt rushed, and were taken straight through to the restaurant, and asked for our order. The 2 young men who served us were professional, no complaints there really, other than they could have been a bit less professional, and a little more friendly We ordered wines, which came in an ice bucket, but had obviously not been chilled beforehand, as they weren't cold, very disappointing. Some of the party ordered the tomato and stilton brushetta for starters, and I swear it had never seen any stilton. More to the point, the brushetta was burnt. The other starters were fine. Then came the main course. There were 11 of us, so it took a while to bring it all through, but for some reason, those who ordered pork were stil waiting long after the rest of us had started eating. The meats were nice, and the choice of veg was excellent, but the cheesy topping on the cauliflower was burnt. One of our party ordered the goats cheese tart, again burnt. Desserts were ok, but there wasn't much variety, so my friend ended up paying £25 for a cheese board to feed those who didn't like any of the desserts on the menu. The cheese board was very poor value, and only had 3 varieties. The Eton mess was nice, but served in a sundae dish, of which the dessert spoons didn't reach the bottom, so half of it was wasted. Coffee used to be plentiful, but this year we got a tiny cup each, and no refills. We left disappointed. Nearly £300 for a 3 course lunch for 11 was a bit over the top for what we got on this occasion, and many places in the area offer much better value for money. Will we go again? Maybe, as it was something we always did with our late son. But my daughter was considering having her wedding there, which after Sunday's experience, has sadly now been ruled out. It's a lovely place, beautiful views, but the service was not as friendly and welcoming as we've previously had, and we feel that given the fact we're regular visitors, and the amount of money we spend there, we were let down.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank MSDerbyshire
Reviewed 1 March 2014

The restaurant is a good choice if you want somewhere a little more special. Good choice on the menu and some lovely specials too. We tried the burger and the hot pot and really enjoyed. The mid week offer of £9.95 for 2 courses is very good value although what is on the offer is very confusing with different staff telling us different things ! The puddings very tasty too. Drinks very expensive and cost us more than the food but would dine there again for a special treat.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 15 February 2014 via mobile

I attended a Christmas lunch with a group of friends. The atmosphere was warm and friendly. The food was amazing considering I paid 3 times a much for an awful Xmas meal in derby.

I cannot remember exactly but it was around £15 for 3 courses, all of which were very nice.

Would highly recommended, everything was lovely.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Jo_bram87
Reviewed 8 January 2014 via mobile

What a great time we had on NYE .. We attended the party which cost 25.00 per ticket which for the money we thought was good value for money .. Champayne reception on arrival decorations on the tables hot meal and then a bacon cob at 12.30pm plus dancing until 1pm couple of very small issues and I am being picky.. Long queue for the hot meal and the bacon cob which served more like 1pm than 12.30pm overall we all had a lovely time .. Thank you to all the staff for their hard work and we will see you in August for our daughters wedding so excited !!

• Stayed: December 2013
Reviewed 2 January 2014

I booked for a party of 8 people to experience a vintage afternoon tea and I was not disappointed. The table on our arrival was beautifully set with china crockery on crisp white table clothes and napkins in vintage napkin rings. The tea arrived in china teapots and cake stands with an array of sandwiches, cakes and scones with cream and jam. All beautifully made and presented. The staff were welcoming and attentive, asking regularly if we needed anything else and supplying us with extra pots of tea. After a disappointing afternoon tea at this time last year at another hotel in Derby we were really pleased. Thanks to all the staff for making this a memorable day.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank susan_wilcockson1
Also consider these accommodations in or near Horsley
Breadsall Priory Marriott Hotel & Country Club
#2 of 3 in Matlock Bath
Peak Edge Hotel
Peak Edge Hotel
#1 of 1 in Stonedge

Been to Horsley Lodge? Share your experiences!