“Delayed hot water”

Horsley Lodge
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Horsley
“Delayed hot water”
Reviewed 31 August 2014

upon arrival we found there was no hot water to the barn cottage which costs£165 a night we found this un-acceptable of a hotel of such standard and would of expected this from a cheap travelodge hotel after waiting a couple of hours they finally sent a plumber out to fix the water which was another inconvenience as you felt unsettled while waiting for him to arrive, this was our first weekend away after the birth of our daughter and can say we was both disappointed we also felt cleaning standards could be cleaner but all being said the barn cottage it's self is lovely and rustic ,the spa bath is a real treat and the bed is fit for a king, we also had breakfast and wasn't disappointed it was cooked to perfection.

• Stayed August 2014
Nathan W, General Manager at Horsley Lodge, responded to this review, 8 September 2014
Dear Kittysbee,

Thank you for your recent review.

I must apologise for the unforeseen problem with the boiler in your cottage. As you know we tried to ensure the plumber got to us whilst you were not at the hotel as to minimise impact on your stay.

I am sorry that the efforts made by our team on the day to rectify the issues were not good enough to leave you satisfied with your stay. I accept that it is an expensive room type, for which I discussed with you on the day I would be more than happy to welcome you back to the hotel and ensure you were looked after.

I am happy of course to still extend this offer and would ask that you contact me at the hotel if you wish to discuss this or anything further.

Nathan Wallis

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
Derby, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 August 2014 via mobile

I have just returned from a vintage afternoon tea and have had a lovely afternoon. There was a good variety of sandwiches and cakes with an unlimited supply of various styles of teas.

Unfortunately due to the seating arrangement in the old restaurant we did feel a little out of the way from any staff members should we have had any problems. The service was a little slow and we waited nearly 40 minutes before our sandwiches arrived, but other than that the staff were very helpful.

Overall a lovely birthday treat and good afternoon.

Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
Nathan W, General Manager at Horsley Lodge, responded to this review, 29 August 2014
Dear Kirstie G

Thank you for your kind words regarding our Vintage Tea offering.

It may interest you that we launch our Horsley Afternoon Tea on Monday the 8th September which will be held in the Highlander Restaurant. This is £12.95 per person. We will of course continue to run Vintage Teas on Thursday.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Dungannon, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 August 2014

Went there for golf weekend with family. Golf course was excellent. Greens excellent. Rooms were excellent. Food was excellent. Staff were excellent and were so eager to make our stay enjoyable. Thanks to them all. A nice intimate place to stay. Genuinely friendly.

Room Tip: Any room. All are excellent.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Dear MoCon33

Thank you for your very kind review of your experience.

It is so pleasing to our team when we hit the mark and someone enjoys their stay as much as you clearly have.

Please don't leave it long until you visit us again.

Nottingham
Reviewed 17 August 2014

It saddens me to write this review - because I can see from many other reviews on here that people have had great experiences with Horsley Lodge both for golf, food and weddings but I felt it important to share my own experiences with you.

I booked in for a show around on Saturday 19th July with my family, fiance and fiance's father. When we arrived the lady who was sitting at the desk took a while to acknowledge us (even though the front door comes straight in to meet the reception) she did look up, but did not say anything. We were looking around to check we had the right place... unsure whether this was a correct reception desk and so clearly looking around waiting to be acknowledged. Eventually the lady looked up and asked can she help (with a sigh) and did not sound like she wanted to help at all. She said she didn't know anything about a wedding show round, that the lady who usually sees people is "with someone at the moment" and she then went to go and get someone else, but never came back herself to explain what was going on, or the mix up (if there was one). Eventually someone else, another lady, came to the desk to ask if we were being seen to. I explained I had booked an appointment for a show around and she checked the system, shrugged and said she would show us around. I was given a brochure.

I explained that I was still waiting for my fiance and his father to arrive and the lady had already walked off. I wasn't leaving without him - and so I hung back and luckily my partner arrived a short while later through the doors with his Dad. They had gotten lost (the signage is not the best if you haven't been here before) and the lady came back and I explained my partner was now here. I believe at that stage my partner's Father did comment on the signage not being great and was met with the response that this hotel is "mostly for golfers or people who know where they are going". We hadn't been to Horsley Lodge before, but was here on a positive recommendation and this was not a great first impression.

We were taken through to the main event room which had an unusual smell (of frying) which was overwhelming when you walked through the doors. When I called up to make the appointment to have a show round, I was told that the room would be set up for a wedding. It soon transpired that a wedding had taken place the day before and the room was in the process of being dismantled.

The bar had a green curtain half hanging off the top of it (this was immediately obvious) and it looked the curtains looked tired and grubby. We were shown some wedding albums later on of this room and the wedding breakfasts and ceremonies taking place- it looked like a different venue altogether.

We were whisked around the room and then shown the conservatory. The lady commented that on a day like today (it was pouring rain) "you can bring the outside, inside". Well, she wasn't wrong there - there was bird poo on the seats in the convervatory. Not sure I fancy that on my wedding dress, personally. The outside courtyard had peeling paint on the walls, exposed brickwork (I am talking patches, clearly not intentional) and looked in need of TLC. The lady also commented this would be a "great room for photos, with a nice view" - I was puzzled by this, being as this particular room looked directly out on to a very full car park.

We were then taken to sit down and were brought coffee. Several of the cups and spoons were dirty. The lady did not stay with us to talk through options or budgets or to discuss anything further which has been my experience at every other venue I have seen. We were left at that stage to look through the photo albums. After a long while, the coffee was finished and the lady did eventually return to ask what we thought of the albums. Yes, very nice albums - time to leave, we thought.

Throughout the whole time we were sat down, there was a young girl and boy (staff) laughing behind the bar, throwing things at eachother and messing about. Really unprofessional.

Overall I would say that I did not feel looked after at all. I was also told when booking the appointment that the use of the hotel was exclusive - it would be a little difficult to get true exclusivity with the golfers in the background on the wedding photos.

From the initial arrival (when someone eventually said they could show us around) to sitting down for coffee we were shown around for a total of 15 minutes. I wondered if we would be charged for the coffee at the end. The attitude of all staff really, was quite poor. I was left embarrased that I had asked my family, and my partners family, to come along to view the place- when the brochure promised so much the staff lacked in any customer care and the place just felt tired.

I was not contacted again, to ask for feedback (which again, is something every other venue does that I have visited) and so I was not given the opportunity to discuss these points with the venue directly. I have noticed that each review is commented on so it will be interesting to see what the owner has to say. In any event I won't be booking our wedding here and I would not recommend - sorry.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Suparuku
Nathan W, General Manager at Horsley Lodge, responded to this review, 22 August 2014
Dear Suparuku,

Thank you for your recent review of Horsley Lodge.

I am sorry that on this occasion we did not meet your requirements. As you have quite rightly pointed out in your review this is far from the standard we operate at Horsley Lodge and quite a surprise and disappointment to our team.

Whilst we do not discourage walk-in show rounds, and most of the team are more than eager to show our property to prospective customers, we try to encourage a meeting with our Events Coordinator, so that the information discussed will be relevant and professional. Maybe in hindsight we should have given you a complimentary drink and suggested that you wait until she was available to ensure this, however this is only in hindsight that I can say this unfortunately.

I am sorry that you felt you could not contact me at the hotel at any point for me to try to rectify the situation and felt it necessary to post a review instead a month later.

Once again I am sincerely sorry that we have failed to capture your business and hope that my apology will go some way to persuading you back to us in the future.

Derby, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 August 2014

We recently had our wedding at Horsley Lodge on Friday 1 August, having placed our initial booking with them in September 2013. On top of the basic wedding package we also reserved 9 of the rooms and for a very reasonable fee and we upgraded the bridal suite for the Barn Cottage, which the bride used for the night before the wedding, and on the wedding day.

The venue itself is in immaculate condition and the setting is beautiful. All the rooms (hotel and function) are clean and very well maintained and perfectly suited for a wedding. There is also the added bonus that our wedding was the only wedding being held that day - a lot of other venues usually charge for that kind of exclusivity but not at Horsley Lodge - exclusivity is immediately assured. The Barn Cottage comes highly recommended as an upgrade, the spiral staircase makes for great photos and the facilities in there were amazing. Felt like a real treat.

The staff at Horsley were amazing, very polite and attentive to all of our guests. We cannot thank them enough for their efforts. Laura was our wedding co-ordinator and she delivered a quite brilliant personal service, from the moment we booked in September, right up to and including the big day itself. All of our personal requests were catered for and nothing was left to chance. On the day, all of the staff knew our names and were clearly under instruction to make sure that if something was needed for the wedding, it was taken care of quickly with minimum fuss.

The food and service was simply A Grade. The Wedding Breakfast was well timed and none of the tables were left waiting long for their food or drinks. The co-ordinators even allowed us a little bit of time to 'mingle' with our guests between courses without compromising the timings or the food. We had goats cheese and red onion tart for starter, braised steak, homemade yorkshires and veg for mains, followed by chocolate fudge cake and ice cream for puds. For our evening buffet we had a 'hot cob' carvery of pork (with some great crackling of course) and topside beef, with pasta, chips and salad. It was all delicious and lots of guests commented on just how good the meat was. We couldn't disagree, the braised steak in particular just melted in the mouth. The bar was well stocked and in the circumstances, reasonably priced. The following morning our guests that stayed overnight enjoyed a cooked breakfast, made to order and that was also great - it helped clear up a few sore heads!

The practicalities of our wedding were also taken care of. The ceremony, wedding breakfast and evening reception were all held in the same room and each time it only took the staff a brief 20-30 minutes to turn the room around. They are clearly well practised at this and it showed. Very smoothly done. The in-house DJ also deserves a mention for being very accommodating as well, as I (the groom) had some very specific requests, but they were all dealt with!

All-in-all, we had a brilliant day and Horsley Lodge played a huge part in that. For some reason the AA only give this hotel 3 stars and quite frankly that is harsh. We received nothing but 5* care and service from the start and for a wedding, Horsley Lodge is very reasonably priced. We have had several family events there in the past (prior to the wedding) and I have no doubt that when we are planning more in the future, Horsley Lodge will be top of our list.

We really did have a truly perfect day, thank you Horsley Lodge.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank AJ_852014
Nathan W, General Manager at Horsley Lodge, responded to this review, 8 August 2014
Dear AJ_852014,

Congratulations on your recent wedding.

Thank you for your very kind words about our team, venue and service. We strive for the best when it comes to our guests and it is always very pleasing for our team to hear when we have made such an impression.

I wish you all the best for the future and look forward to welcoming you back to Horsley Lodge very soon.

North Yorkshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 July 2014

We stayed here for a long weekend, as we were attending a wedding reception at Horsley Lodge, and it is clearly great for weddings and golfers. But this review is of a very nice hotel, set in pleasant grounds (among the tees!), with a pleasant and reasonably priced bar and restaurant, and lovely rooms. Staff, in particular, are very good.

Even before arrival, the hotel's reception (thank you Martin), had carefully changed our reservation to a more suitable room for access for my disabled wife. Clearly a lot of thought had been given to this huge room in a barn conversion annex, with a short work up a gentle slope, and easy ground floor access. The room was clean, with a huge super king size bed, TV and wardrobe. It could however, benefit from a table and some shelving. There is a massive conservatory joining the room, with a lovely garden and terrace area. Here were comfortable chairs and table, coffee facilities, and a second TV. Lovely on a summer day.

The bathroom is excellent, with a bath, and a huge wet room and walk in shower. Rustic floor tiling added to the quality feel of the bathroom, but the other bathroom fittings are a bit basic. Again, shelving is sadly missing. But a lovely bathroom and very nice shower.

Special mention must be made of Laura and the whole reception/welcome team, who always did their utmost to ensure we were comfortable and content. A request for a coolling fan, brought the immediate delivery of an air-con unit, and all the staff ensured we were provided with enough ice to keep the unit functioning properly. Nothing is too much trouble for this kind and very good team.

Finally, the restaurant. Imaginative dishes, at very good value prices, many less than bar snacks elsewhere. Lovely waiting staff at both dinner and breakfast. Breakfast, which is freshly cooked to order, is excellent.

All in all, very satisfied, and would certainly return when in the area. Thank you all at Horsley Lodge - you run a very good hotel indeed.

Room Tip: Speak to reception - all rooms are individual, and we understand they are all very good.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Nathan W, General Manager at Horsley Lodge, responded to this review, 30 July 2014
Dear Paulaus Tirol

Thank you for your kind comments about our special venue.

It is always very easy for people to write off golf clubs as members only venues and it is lovely that ours has been perceived as welcoming to all. It is of paramount importance to us that all our guests are looked after equally whether attending a wedding, on a weekend away, enjoying the golf facilities or a business traveler.

I will convey your comments to the team, although they have probably read it themselves as they avidly follow our reviews.

Kind regards

Derbyshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 July 2014

We chose Horsley Lodge for our wedding reception as everything about it is welcoming, everything about our day was perfect with impeccable service, food & attention to detail, we would not think twice about recommending this venue, Thankyou Horsley Lodge.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Bob B
Nathan W, Manager at Horsley Lodge, responded to this review, 26 July 2014
Dear Bob B,

Thank you for your recent review.

It is a pleasure to hear such words as welcoming when referring to our venue as that is the essence of everything we try to create. The work we do behind the scenes is nothing if the way we deliver it cannot leave an impression with our guests and I am pleased that this is the case regarding your special day.

May I wish you many years of happy marriage and hope to see you soon back at Horsley Lodge.

Nathan Wallis
Also consider these accommodations in or near Horsley
The Morley Hayes Hotel
#2 of 15 in Chesterfield
Ringwood Hall Hotel
Ringwood Hall Hotel
#1 of 1 in Brimington

Been to Horsley Lodge? Share your experiences!