“Does what it says on the can”

The Crewe and Harpur
Ranked #1 of 2 Swarkestone B&B and Inns
Reviewed 19 April 2014

If you require a clean and functional bedroom at a competitive price, chain pub food with no frills, this is the place for you. The riverside setting with beer garden is the best attribute especially with sunny weather. Some bedrooms look out onto the busy road and traffic noise is unavoidable and can disturb a good nights sleep. I did not use the restaurant and went to nearby Repton instead. The staff at breakfast were friendly and helpful.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank PaulJ367
There are newer reviews for The Crewe and Harpur

Reviewed 19 April 2014

Booked a table for twelve people for 18/4/14. Arrived at 2pm and were advised meals would be 40mins from order. When after an hour the kids' food arrived we thought "Okay, they're busy, it took a bit longer than planned". After about 5mins during which no more food had been served one of our group went to ask what was going on. This did bring the rest of the food to the table apart from my wife's meal, which they had "Forgotten, it'll be 5 minutes". 15 minutes later still no food so I went to try and sort it out. Meal was served pretty soon after this. The food when it finally arrived was not bad at all apart from the fact three had ordered steaks, none of which were cooked how they'd been ordered. Kids all ordered puddings which took and age to be served and after a 15 minute wait for coffees and teas we gave up and asked for the bill. The only up side was we were not charged for my wife's and my meals or any of the drinks we'd had.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 30 March 2014 via mobile

Usually love eating here.

Stopped off for a few drinks during the afternoon. My friends ordered drinks and as I hadnt eaten asked if I could order food to the garden.

The responce I gotbfrom a male bartender was not unless I had a table number. As I hadnt been outside I didnt have one. So asked him to put it to any number and we would find the table as there was only 3 other couples at the time in the garden.

He refused to serve unless I walked all the way over to a table to log a number to give to him.

As he obvioulsly works in the hospitaltlity trade and it wasnt busy I would have thought he may have made an effort to accomidate. Especially as we as a large group where bring custom to the pub.

His attitude has put me and other members of the group of attending again.

We will stick to more welcoming locations.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 27 January 2014

lovely setting next to the river, must be great in summer. Room clean and functional , staff attentive enough but the big let down for us was the food. Ate in restaurant and food disappointingly cool with soggy chips and breakfast was swimming in that much oil had to transfer food to another plate. really would avoid eating if you are staying there. The room was cold as the windows let in a massive draft ( single glazed, sash windows) and bathroom freezing even with towel heater on all the time ( cured nightime toilet visits!!!).
It was fine for what we needed , a clean bed to sleep in but don't expect too much more that's all. Oh and by the way, sort out who is having the duvet as it is only a small double and not enough for both of you !!

Room Tip: apparently room 2 is the best to have, we had room 7 upstairs overlooking the car park. Road noise b...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 January 2014

A truly beautiful setting in a gorgeous red brick period building, with a large beer garden on the edge of the River Trent. I can see this place is a good gathering place in the summer months. However, on the inside it has a rather "mass produced" feel, leaving it rather soulless. The staff were friendly and the beer was good, but for such a characterful exterior the interior was a disappointment.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 30 December 2013

Wow. Absolutely top drawer. This stay was my favorite. Both my wife and i had an amazing visit. the food was fantastic, the staff were so very welcoming, and nothing was to much trouble. They have an amazing set up there, the staff seemed very happy to be there (strange). The room was spacious and very comfortable. we slept very well, after sampling a few to many of their guest ales. all in all we had a lovely time, and will definitely be going back. i highly recommend this venue.

Room Tip: We were told by one of the staff that room 2 is the best for period features.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 December 2013

Stayed as a family of 4. We were a little apprehensive as room rate was very cheap but it was unbelievable value for money and we had no reason to be concerned. Everything was great. Room was excellent, staff were friendly, food very good, both in the evening and at breakfast, and beer was good too.
Shower had plentiful hot water and good pressure, central heating kept room cosy.
Good location with easy access from nearby A50 so ideal for Nottingham or Derby.
We will return and indeed detour to do so. Can't wait to enjoy a summer evening on the lawn over looking the Trent by the picturesque bridge.
Th0roughly recommended.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Swarkestone
Hallmark Hotel Derby Mickleover Court
#1 of 1 in Willington
Jurys Inn East Midlands Airport
Jurys Inn East Midlands Airport
#5 of 7 in Castle Donington

Been to The Crewe and Harpur? Share your experiences!