“Alton towers and good food”

Premier Inn Derby North West Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Mackworth
Isle of Wight, United Kingdom
“Alton towers and good food”
Reviewed 27 September 2013

The hotel was 30 minutes away from Alton Towers which is why we stayed. We booked 2 rooms and despite booking them in the same time the rooms were nowhere near each other. The rooms are ok. The bed was quite hard, liked the bath in the bathroom though, it was clean and tidy although the cleaners kept missing the 3 spiders in the bathroom which was amusing. The breakfast was nice all you can eat & a fry up for £9ish and a good pub next door. The receptionist was friendly.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Becky474

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
  • Polish first
Aylesbury
Reviewed 23 September 2013

We found this a particularly good Premier Inn. It's a short drive from Ashbourne, the southern 'gateway' to the Peak District National Park. The reception staff were delightful - helpful, welcoming and cheerful. Many Premier Inns are rather like two-storey blocks of flats. This one however is made up of individual ground floor 'apartments' many with the opportunity to park your car right by your own window. The rooms were of the same quality standard that you expect to find in Premier Inns elsewhere. The staff in the associated pub - a 'Chef & Brewer' pub - the Mundy Arms - were also very friendly, the food was good (although a bit expensive) and there were three real ales on in good nick when we visited.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank GilesAylesbury
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 September 2013 via mobile

Lovely place and a bit different to most hotels which was nice too. Quiet, spacious, clean and lovely pub next door. Staff very friendly and nice comfy beds - can't fault it and wouldn't hesitate to return.

Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank fcbt345
Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 September 2013

We stayed here for two nights whilst travelling around the area (me, husband & two children - 9 & 13). The rooms were adequate and clean, the family beds are quite small and not really big enough for children over 12, although the limit on the family room is 16 years old. Bear this in mind if you have tall teenagers!!! No adverse smell in our room, which has been mentioned in the other reviews (but there were cows in the adjacent field!). Also we found it to be very quiet and peaceful as our room was an the back of the accommodation. Reception and checking in was great with friendly helpful staff. Wifi not very good and patchy in the room which was annoying as you pay a premium for extended access (more than 30 minutes) - surely they could make it free at all times?!
The adjoining pub makes this Premier Inn a great place for food and drink with very attentive friendly staff and a fabulous menu - The Munday Arms (reviewed separately).
Great value for money overall - would stay there again.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back of the car park area will be quieter as they are away from the pub and car park.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank KettonLass
Reviewed 8 September 2013

Upon arriving at the hotel I was impressed with the layout of the hotel as it was very different to any other premier inn I've ever stayed it, I had also eaten at the pub before check in and was delighted with the food, and looking forward to the fact that that was where my breakfast would be served, however once I arrived within the reception I was greeted by a female receptionist "Danielle" who at first seemed very friendly but then continued to ask question after question about my stay, needless to say i felt a little uncomfortable, what I had thought was friendliness soon seemed very fake, I can only say I am glad that the hotel is laid out the way it is, and therefore I did not have to walk through the reception whenever leaving my room like in most other premier inns ive stayed in, and therefore I did not have to deal with the receptionist more than once!!!

• Stayed September 2013
2 Thank DFFY
WhitbreadHotels, Online Customer Service at Premier Inn Derby North West Hotel, responded to this review, 19 September 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us. At Premier Inn it remains our main objective to deliver a high standard of customer service and we do apologise that on this occasion we failed to achieve this. Your feedback is very important to us as we endeavour to improve standards and meet all our customer’s needs. Please be assured that we will investigate your feedback with the Management Team directly. Thank you once again for taking the time to review our hotel.
UK
Reviewed 19 August 2013

Travelling with the family we chose to stay here as very conveniently located, yet with the promise of a more country setting which it fulfilled. We thoroughly recommend the Munday Arms next door which is reviewed independently.

Our party consisted of a disabled 90 year old for whom we had booked a disabled room, a retired couple for whom we had asked for a room next door to better assist her, and my sister and I, both in our thirties and booked into a twin room.

It was possible to park directly outside each room which was extremely good. Our allocated twin room was absolutely fine and no complaints there except it was at the far end of the complex to the other rooms allocated. How difficult can it be to keep a party together in hotels where most stays are short? A small bugbear of mine is the poor "mood" lighting in many hotels which render them useless for business use. This would have applied here, but a very pleasant room otherwise and one I would recommend for leisure.

The disabled room for my Grandmother was of a reasonable size and well aired. Although it had a pull cord alarm in the shower and an alarm next to the bed, the pull cord for the latter was missing! The bathroom did not provide a "walk in shower" and that was therefore unusable.

My parents were allocated the room next door, but owing to the layout it was useless for the purpose of hearing a person in distress. Sadly this room was also not habitable. The first thing which struck me about it was the overpowering smell of disinfectant which seemed to be trying to mask a musty smell. For one night, my parents deemed "it would do". Unfortunately the door lock was broken and my father was soon trapped inside alone. As we were awake and he can shout loudly we heard him. Had it been night time or my mother or my grandmother we would not have known of his being trapped. My sister had to climb through prickly gardens to reach the rear window, get the key from him and unlock it from the outside. Apparently the very pleasant receptionist had raised this with her seniors before but was told it just had to be "fiddled with" and it would eventually work!?!?!?! It didn't work; the lock was clearly broken. Not good enough. Clear safety issue. Unfortunately there were no other rooms to move into.

In summary, three rooms were booked and details reconfirmed in view of the disabled guests special needs, and only two were available for safe use at opposite ends of the complex. As my Grandmother could not be left isolated (esp. given the lack of a panic cord!) I gave up my bed in the twin room for her to share with and be assisted by my sister. My parents took the disabled room. I made emergency plans to stay elsewhere which was most unsatisfactory for all concerned. There was of course a full refund of the unusable room, but this whole inconvenience was entirely avoidable had basic maintenance been done when identified. It should never have happened.

Final word: how difficult is it to provide one bath towel per guest? We were provided with three for five guests between three rooms! It's just laziness on behalf of housekeeping to not do a basic count of towels before they sign a room off.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank journeyonwards
UK
Reviewed 18 August 2013

when we travel around the uk we always stay in Premier inns because we know they offer clean safe and friendly hotels to stay in and it does help that my wife and children enjoy sleeping there, We decided to pick this one as it a bit different to the rest having the rooms in converted out buildings almost like an American style motel, When you stay at a premier inn one of the selling points is each time you leave your room you pass reception and the friendliness of the staff is part of the selling point but here other than check in and check out you don't see anyone from the hotel,
At check in i had to wait until the receptionist finished her personal phone call and then she questioned how many adults i was planning to sleep in the room which is a first for me and seemed to disbelieve me when i said only two then she gave me the key and didn't even bother to tell me where our room was,
You park outside you room which is very convenient and the family room was very big but clearly in a poor state of repair with mold and stains on the walls, the bed itself was not one normally seen in a premier inn it looked bigger and was not as comfy, the childrens bed was rock hard and our daughter could not sleep so she ended up with us in the larger bed, the bathroom was again tired and it a poor state of repair with wires hanging out of the towel warmer and mold on the walls, outside was a light that buzzed and flickered most of the night,
There is a pub/restaurant in the car park but it is not part of the premier inn and i have reviewed it separately,
On the second night it was very warm and we had to open the windows which meant the noise coming from the beer garden at the rear of the pub and directly outside most of the rooms was horrendous and carried on when they left in their cars shouting and playing music which stopped the children and us from sleeping,
Now Premier inn offer a good night guarantee and in over 50 times i have stayed in one i have only used it once, they say no questions asked money back guarantee but again on this occasion when i complained about the room even giving the fuse from the towel warmer so we would not hurt our-self and the noise from the pub i was told sorry about that hope to see you again, even more frustrating was when i first walked was the sign on the desk saying sorry i'm not here i'm helping another customer which was a lie as the same receptionist was eating her breakfast in the back office now i eat before going to work,
All i can say is this hotel is damaging the brand so please don't visit i wont be.

Room Tip: don't eat in the restaurant onsite turn right out of the car park and across the road is a nice...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank AND1Uk
WhitbreadHotels, Online Customer Service at Premier Inn Derby North West Hotel, responded to this review, 21 August 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at our hotel. At we endeavour to ensure all our guests have an enjoyable stay in a clean and comfortable environment and do apologise that on this occasion we failed to provide this. Please email your booking details including your reservation number to talktous@premierinn.com and we will follow this up with the Management Team. Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mackworth
Hallmark Hotel Derby Mickleover Court
The Georgian House Hotel
Makeney Hall Hotel
Makeney Hall Hotel
#1 of 2 in Belper

Been to Premier Inn Derby North West Hotel? Share your experiences!