“A truly fantastic trip!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Muirkirk
The Old Church Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #1 of 1 Muirkirk B&B and Inns
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
“A truly fantastic trip!”
Reviewed 2 April 2014

I was given a gift voucher for Lesley's Kitchen and decided to go for the basic bread course. I arrived the evening before the course and stayed in the b&b. When I arrived I was given a very warm and friendly welcome before being shown to my room which was immaculate and homely, Within 15 minutes Lesley had brought me my dinner, a fantastic pepper soup with basil and tomato bread to start and chilli con carne for the main. I was also given a home baked muffin in case I got hungry later in the night. Since I had plenty of time left before needing to sleep I decided to have a bubble bath in the massive double ended bath (a wonderful end to the evening). The next morning I went down to the kitchen for breakfast and was shown a wide range of home made granola and breads. I was also introduced to David and had a great time chatting to Lesley and David before starting the course.
The course itself was fantastically done.Our group of four was the perfect number for allowing everyone to get the help that they needed. We were able to work at a pace that suited us and made four beautiful loafs of bread. We received a very tasty lunch to break up the day and left very content. All in all the course was very relaxed and informal. I am in the process of deciding which course to do next and can't wait to go back to Lesley's Kitchen. I would highly recommend the course and b&b to anyone.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank amycol90

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
GLASGOW
Reviewed 23 March 2014

This was our 3rd visit to Lesley's Kitchen and was as much fun this time as our previous two visits.
We had previously done the basic sourdough course and speciality breads. This time it was enriched breads ... think croissants, brioche, wonderful cinnamon fruited brioche buns. Enriched dough is not the easiest dough in the world to work with, but Lesley's patient help and 'top tips' mean that no one should go away without a batch of fabulous treats. Ours did not make the journey home intact !

Whether you're new to bread making and need the confidence and help to set you on the wonderful path to baking 'real bread, or have some experience and want tips on tackling trickier doughs you won't find a better teacher than Lesley.

The small classes mean that you really do get stuck in - the bread you bake really will be all your own work. Yes. there are classes that cost less, but you'll probably be there with 11 other people or more and have limited 'hands on' time. You'll also start dead on time and finish dead on time. At Lesley's you start on time, but you finish when the breads for the day are done, so please don't count on finishing on time. Lesley is not a clock watcher, which is just as it should be. Value for money is excellent.

So, if you want to try your hand at bread making, or improve existing skills, have fun and go home with some fabulous breads then I cannot recommend Lesley's kitchen too highly.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ROBBO57
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 March 2014

My husband and I attended a basic bread course, staying overnight at The Old Church B&B with Lesley and her family. We received a warm hearty welcome from both Lesley and her hubby David which put everyone at ease. The course itself was very informal, relaxed and a good laugh but most of all the bread and rolls we made were a huge success for beginners!!! The lunch and accompanying bread we sampled were delicious as was the two course dinner we had that evening. Would definitely recommend Lesley's Kitchen to anyone wishing to learn the art of bread making.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Ann S
Coimbra, Portugal
Reviewed 24 February 2014

I visited The Old Church B & B for my 5 day Stay & Bake course with the truly inspirational Lesley as my teacher and hostess along with her hubby David. From the day of arrival to the sad day of departure I was made to feel one of the family sharing their beautiful home and kitchen.

It has been said by previous reviewers and I can heartily confirm that what Lesley does not know about bread, its ingredients and baking just isn't worth knowing. From the outset Lesley explained not just the mechanics of bread making but some history of the process and ingredients. I shared the first day with John F and loved his company. Thanks John and I hope that you got what you kneaded from the experience and I'm sure that you will be back for more.

I never realised that it would be possible to cover as many different breads and techniques as we did. But Lesley is such a brilliant teacher that in no time there were loaves, cakes and cookies cooling on the racks. All of these were to take away at the end of the course but with a weight allowance to worry about for my return flight, sadly I had to leave some behind. Now that I am home again I could not wait to get back into the kitchen to put my new found skills to the test and so far all are being well received so a massive thank you to Lesley.

For those simply looking for the best B & B they will ever experience then look no further. Whilst Lesley is busy beavering away in the kitchen hubby David is taking great care of the B & B and keeping it spotlessly clean and comfortable. I stayed in the Glespin room which was very comfortable with a comprehensive selection of teas, coffee and chocolate and of course a plate of home baked goods every day. The Glespin shares a bathroom with one of the other rooms and is probably larger than my bedroom at home!

Although the main purpose of my visit was to take part in the baking course I did take the opportunity to get out and about when I could. The B & B is set in a small village in beautiful rolling Scottish country and I can feel another baking course coming on but this time with more time to take in the scenery.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Jetlagged787
Helensburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 February 2014 via mobile

From the warmest of welcomes to the friendliest of farewells my days baking with Lesley was wonderful. I had no experience but with Lesley's relaxed and informative style I was kneading and plaiting with confidence in no time. The day was most enjoyable and I left determined to put my newly leant skills into practice. I am most certainly returning to learn more from this inspirational teacher. I didn't stay at the b&b but from what I saw it looks first class. Thank you Lesley

Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank John F
Ayr, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 November 2013

I went on Lesley's Italian bread making course on 31st October and had a fantastic day. We made lemon and rosemary focaccia, Olive bread, Tortano and Italian herb bread. It was great fun and Lesley is such a fantastic tutor. I did the basic bread course about three months ago with Lesley and have been making bread ever since. Lesley and David have a stunning home with a kitchen which is just perfect for the courses...which are never bigger than four pupils. You arrive to a fresh baked cake and hot drinks and a natter about bread making before you get started, which is a great way to bond with your fellow students before the baking begins.

I can't recommend Lesley and her bread making courses enough... If you want a fun day out on your own to learn a new skill (like me) or fancy going with friends, either way you won't be disappointed...Lesley has a passion for bread making, her knowledge is vast and her fun loving approach to teaching makes for a winning combination.

Room Tip: I didn't stay but the house and kitchen are super clean and the log-burner was roaring on arriva...