“Lovely bungalows in peaceful surroundings”
Review of Tree Top Eco-Lodge

and 1 more site!
Tree Top Eco-Lodge
London, United Kingdom
“Lovely bungalows in peaceful surroundings”
Reviewed 29 March 2014

We stayed here for 3 nights in total in room 15. This was a bungalow room with private bathroom and hot shower for $15 per night in high season. The value for money was fantastic, it's one of the nicest bungalows we've ever stayed in. The room size is big, bed is very comfortable and bathroom is great too, even has a separate shower area! You get a balcony as well. Our bungalow felt really private and it was absolutely peaceful at night. Our one disappointment was the breakfast menu at the on-site restaurant, it was really limited and not inspiring. Just a load of baguettes. You can get a nicer breakfast at the Dutch cafe a few doors down. However, we had a burger at the restaurant one night and that was very nice. Also, wifi works very well in the restaurant but didn't reach our bungalow.

Room Tip: Room 15 is a goodie - very private and just lovely
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 28 February 2014 via mobile

I sent an email to book a $7 standard room a fews days before I arrived in Banlung. Having not heard anything back, I called the day before to check. I spoke to the owner who said he had seen my email and I had a reservation. I made it clear in the email and on the phone that I would be arriving in the late afternoon.

When I went to check in I was told there were no single rooms available and that I would need to pay for a bungalow ($15). This was pretty frustrating given I had planned ahead and even spoken to the owner on the phone. I don't know if the booking was incorrect from the beginning or if my room was given away earlier in the day.

Not wanting to walk around town to find another room I payed the extra for the bungalow. The room was nice. Good hot shower. Private balcony with a hammock. Though it seems that since lonely planet reviewed Tree Top, it hasn't had much maintenance work done (very loud creaking fan, leaking basins and toilets) The bungalow also badly needed a mosquito net over the bed. Huge rips in the fly-screens meant the room filled with insects throughout the night.

I moved to a single standard room which was also pretty nice. I felt this room was much better value for money - and included mosquito nets though no hot water. Can be a little noisy given the shared floorboards and walls.

The food was pretty average, especially breakfast. Mr Happy hangs around the resteraunt and can organize treks or day tours around Banlung.

If booking a bus over to Laos, head down the road to Parrot Tours rather than use Tree Top. For $16 I got a minibus to Stung Treng, a direct bus to Ban Nagasan in Laos and a boat to Don Det. Tree Top's ticket doesn't include the boat and involves a 5 hour wait at their other guesthouse in Stung Treng.

I was pretty disappointed to find that dispite the name, Tree Top didn't resemble an "eco" bussiness at all.

Overall, a decent enough stay but would check out other options first next time.

Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed 11 February 2014

This was the best eco lodge we've stayed at in Southeast Asia. Better than most hotels we've stayed at in Cambodia and the food is better than most of the food we've had in Cambodia. The bungalow was very nice and comfortable. Tastefully decorated and sturdily built. Very cozy! Nice bathrooms, big beds, lockable solid nightstand, atmospheric lighting. The room was made up and cleaned daily. The restaurant features a great atmosphere, very nicely laid out with amazing views of the valley and hills. Part of it gets the sunrise light and the front part gets bathed in the orange glow of the sunset. It's really a magical place and the perfect ending to our month in Cambodia. By far, one of the top places to stay at in Cambodia. Make sure to visit the nearby volcanic lake, a serene place, peaceful, nice waters, beautiful swimming, away from the dusty roads of Banlug. If you do a jungle trek, make sure it's more than one day, as we found the one day trek to be a bit underwhelming and overpriced. All in all, a fantastic must visit destination!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Amadeus303
Chongqing, China
Reviewed 9 February 2014

I didn't actually stay at Tree Top, but had a great experience with the people. Due to some miscommunication (which probably should be expected when emailing in English with a guesthouse that is essentially a series of treehouses) Treetop booked my group for Jan 20, instead of Jan 21, so when I went to check in, I was told that we couldn't stay the night, but the man (Smiley) told me to hang tight and he would find us a place to stay. While he worked the phone my friends and I looked around and took in the beautiful view that Treetop offers. Smiley found us some rooms at Lake Side Lodge and also planned some fun activities for us during our stay.
He is the man. Everyone should know Smiley. He took us on a one day hike through the jungle (they call it trekking in Cambodia) and also arranged transportation for us to Phnom Penh. One of my friends left his phone in the van when we got to Phnom Penh, so we called the driver who, because of the language barrier, called smiley who brokered the return of the phone. The next day Smiley called me to ask if we got the phone back okay and wanted to know if we needed any help with anything in Phnom Penh.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Fraser P
Nether Heyford
Reviewed 28 January 2014

We booked a lower bungalow (No 13) as these are the ones with hot water. The location is quiet and laid back, with a lush green outlook and only a five minutes walk from town.

The good sized room and ensuite shower room was cleaned and refreshed towels delivered daily, as well as the 1.5 litre of water. Extremely comfortable bed with AC / Fan which we didn't use. Balcony with a couple of reclining chairs and a hammock, for those evening chill outs.

Also the lounge area and dining area allows you to meet fellow travellers. The food is good as well, both western and local food well above the bar.

Additionally, we have found all of the staff extremely helpful and attentive, and well worth a mention.

Room Tip: Book well in advance and try to arrive in the morning. This place has been booked full over the 3 da...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Nigel M
Cologne, Germany
Reviewed 7 January 2014 via mobile

The tree top has some really pretty wooden bungalows and rooms that are cheaper. The prices are absolutely reasonable.
The jungle scenery is stunning and for me this place is perfect if you are seeking for silence, reading and jungle trekking of course. The owners are really nice and helpful.
Tree top organizes treks and serves food. I can highly reccommend the vegetarian mushroom burger.
Nature lovers will absolutely enjoy their stay there!

• Stayed November 2013
Kurashiki, Japan
Reviewed 4 January 2014

Arrived by motorcycle (7-hour trip on muddy, potholed road from Sen Monorom!) after having diarrhea all night and checked into my cute little twin room around 3:00pm. All I wanted to do was sleep! Place was clean enough and the bed was very comfotable. Until around 8:00pm when the guys next door came in. The cheaper rooms are attached, same floorboards, and this guy stomping across the room actually shook my bed! I was still feeling awful & needed the rest so had the manager go check it out, and I heard the giggling woman say "But we aren't doing anything!". The stomping subsided at around 11:00pm and I finally got back to sleep. I asked them to move me to a new room, a LOVELY private bungalow which was well worth the $15. I slept deeply there the next 2 nights. Good breakast & coffee, but dinner was marginal & meager-sized (plenty of other good places to eat in town). I had one of their employees "Mr Happy" take me around by motorbike to the falls one day, and on the next I hired a bicycle & saw the town & went out to Yeak Lom Lake. The manager can arrange onward travel, etc. but they seem unsure about the travel time, this is due to the constant changing of the bus/mini-van schedule and condition of the roads which were awful (Sen Monorom~Ban Lung) when I visited. All in all a nice place to stay, I woudl definitely stay there agian, in a private bungalow!

Room Tip: Choose a private bunglaow lest you be subject to giggling, stomping people next door!
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled solo