“lovely bungalows”
Review of Tree Top Eco-Lodge

Tree Top Eco-Lodge
Reviewed 10 May 2014

The bungalow are reaaally nice, with a big terrace to chill on your hammock while admiring the landscape and hearing birds and geckos. The place is clean and quiet, don't expect to party there but if u love nature they can suggest you plenty of things to do around. He food is not excellent. However, i would recommend this place to stay in Ban Lung!!! I enjoyed it.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends

Reviewed 20 April 2014 via mobile

This is a really cool place to stay in Ban Lung, the lodges are really cool looking, your own hammock outside on the decking and really nice en-suit bathroom, make sure to get a mosquito net from the staff doh we got a lot of bites the 1st night, and if your afraid of bugs it's not for you there is a lot of gaps a cracks for all sorts to get in, but it's all part of the experience, it's not far from the town, probably 400m, and a heads up if you like Indian food there a little place called Everest on the right hand side when heading towards the town, not much to look at but great food..

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 April 2014

This is easily one of the most relaxing places to be found in North-East Cambodia. Not too far from the city center (5-10 minutes walk), but it feels like you're in the jungle. We had a great wooden bungalow with a nice view of the valley, but not all the bungalows are like that, so have a good look first, before you decide on one (if you have the choice, of course).

They offer clean water for a reasonable price, which saves on the plastic bottles.

Good restaurant too, friendly people.

It was a bit noisy at night, but that was not their fault: lots of marriages going on in town.

Room Tip: Some bungalows can feel a bit claustrophobic because of all the trees and plants. Therefore have a g...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 29 March 2014

We stayed here for 3 nights in total in room 15. This was a bungalow room with private bathroom and hot shower for $15 per night in high season. The value for money was fantastic, it's one of the nicest bungalows we've ever stayed in. The room size is big, bed is very comfortable and bathroom is great too, even has a separate shower area! You get a balcony as well. Our bungalow felt really private and it was absolutely peaceful at night. Our one disappointment was the breakfast menu at the on-site restaurant, it was really limited and not inspiring. Just a load of baguettes. You can get a nicer breakfast at the Dutch cafe a few doors down. However, we had a burger at the restaurant one night and that was very nice. Also, wifi works very well in the restaurant but didn't reach our bungalow.

Room Tip: Room 15 is a goodie - very private and just lovely
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 February 2014 via mobile

I sent an email to book a $7 standard room a fews days before I arrived in Banlung. Having not heard anything back, I called the day before to check. I spoke to the owner who said he had seen my email and I had a reservation. I made it clear in the email and on the phone that I would be arriving in the late afternoon.

When I went to check in I was told there were no single rooms available and that I would need to pay for a bungalow ($15). This was pretty frustrating given I had planned ahead and even spoken to the owner on the phone. I don't know if the booking was incorrect from the beginning or if my room was given away earlier in the day.

Not wanting to walk around town to find another room I payed the extra for the bungalow. The room was nice. Good hot shower. Private balcony with a hammock. Though it seems that since lonely planet reviewed Tree Top, it hasn't had much maintenance work done (very loud creaking fan, leaking basins and toilets) The bungalow also badly needed a mosquito net over the bed. Huge rips in the fly-screens meant the room filled with insects throughout the night.

I moved to a single standard room which was also pretty nice. I felt this room was much better value for money - and included mosquito nets though no hot water. Can be a little noisy given the shared floorboards and walls.

The food was pretty average, especially breakfast. Mr Happy hangs around the resteraunt and can organize treks or day tours around Banlung.

If booking a bus over to Laos, head down the road to Parrot Tours rather than use Tree Top. For $16 I got a minibus to Stung Treng, a direct bus to Ban Nagasan in Laos and a boat to Don Det. Tree Top's ticket doesn't include the boat and involves a 5 hour wait at their other guesthouse in Stung Treng.

I was pretty disappointed to find that dispite the name, Tree Top didn't resemble an "eco" bussiness at all.

Overall, a decent enough stay but would check out other options first next time.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 11 February 2014

This was the best eco lodge we've stayed at in Southeast Asia. Better than most hotels we've stayed at in Cambodia and the food is better than most of the food we've had in Cambodia. The bungalow was very nice and comfortable. Tastefully decorated and sturdily built. Very cozy! Nice bathrooms, big beds, lockable solid nightstand, atmospheric lighting. The room was made up and cleaned daily. The restaurant features a great atmosphere, very nicely laid out with amazing views of the valley and hills. Part of it gets the sunrise light and the front part gets bathed in the orange glow of the sunset. It's really a magical place and the perfect ending to our month in Cambodia. By far, one of the top places to stay at in Cambodia. Make sure to visit the nearby volcanic lake, a serene place, peaceful, nice waters, beautiful swimming, away from the dusty roads of Banlug. If you do a jungle trek, make sure it's more than one day, as we found the one day trek to be a bit underwhelming and overpriced. All in all, a fantastic must visit destination!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Amadeus303
Reviewed 9 February 2014

I didn't actually stay at Tree Top, but had a great experience with the people. Due to some miscommunication (which probably should be expected when emailing in English with a guesthouse that is essentially a series of treehouses) Treetop booked my group for Jan 20, instead of Jan 21, so when I went to check in, I was told that we couldn't stay the night, but the man (Smiley) told me to hang tight and he would find us a place to stay. While he worked the phone my friends and I looked around and took in the beautiful view that Treetop offers. Smiley found us some rooms at Lake Side Lodge and also planned some fun activities for us during our stay.
He is the man. Everyone should know Smiley. He took us on a one day hike through the jungle (they call it trekking in Cambodia) and also arranged transportation for us to Phnom Penh. One of my friends left his phone in the van when we got to Phnom Penh, so we called the driver who, because of the language barrier, called smiley who brokered the return of the phone. The next day Smiley called me to ask if we got the phone back okay and wanted to know if we needed any help with anything in Phnom Penh.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends