We have a policy of never going back to the same hotel twice but after visiting the St. James's Club last year we decided to take a chance and return. So it was with trepidation that we returned this January 2013. We are delighted to report that not only did we have another excellent holiday, we found that some things had improved such as nightly entertainment in the Docksider bar and no reservations required to dine there this year. We felt immediately at ease when we arrived because everything was famililar. The customer service from the Management team is exemplary. They were constantly checking that we were happy and greeted us by name most of the time. Very impressive given that the hotel was full. Maintenance of the hotel grounds is extremely high and the beach in Mamora Bay is one of the cleanest, most idyllic beaches we have ever seen. There is a designated swimming area which is safe and very clean. Very good for children and adults alike.
There was a good mix of age ranges there during our stay, young couples, families with young children and older couples like ourselves. I have read in other reviews complaints about the entertainment ending at 10 p.m. Personally we agree with this curfew as it prevents disturbance late at night. We were never disturbed by noise after retiring to bed. Anyone who is looking for late night disco/dancing/entertainment would be disappointed and should possibly look elsewhere.
We stayed for two weeks and found that it was worth paying the extra charge to eat at Piccolo Mondo a few times just to give a bit of variety. In general the service in the restaurants was good and we only had one night when service in Rainbow Garden was slow. The majority of serving staff are very, very friendly and only a few perhaps got out of bed the wrong side some days.
There were several large groups having conferences or meetings during our stay and we hope that it is not going to be a regular event as it changes the ambience of the hotel slightly. Large tables with noisy groups were a bit overpowering in the Docksider restaurant on some nights.
Holidaying at St. James's Club is very relaxing and a great place to recharge your batteries. Given our experiences this year we arecontemplating booking again for next January...... a real compliment from confirmed "non-returners" !!!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Welcome to the All-Inclusive St. James's Club & Villas, Antigua's most famous address. This beautiful resort is ideally located on a private, 100-acre peninsula. You will love our two white sand beaches, water sports, tennis, four restaurants, indoor and outdoor bars, beach bar & grill, luxurious spa & salon, freshwater swimming pools, supervised Kids Club, wide array of water sports, Scuba diving, and so much more. One of the Caribbean's most popular all-inclusive resorts. Excellent for couples, honeymooners, families, and friends. Located just minutes from major attractions like English Harbour, Nelson's Dockyard, and the lively Shirley Heights. Our warm and welcoming staff and management team will make your stay wonderful and memorable. We look forward to seeing you soon! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, TravelUp, Booking.com, Southall Travel, Travelbag, Ebookers, Holiday Gems, Traveltool, S.L.U. and HotelQuickly so you can book your St. James's Club & Villas reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- St. James`s Club Hotel Mamora Bay
- St James Club Antigua
- St Jamess Hotel
- St Jamess Resort
- St James Antigua
- St Jamess Club Antigua
- St. James's Club & Villas Antigua