We stayed at the Beach Club at St James and had a superior room - three steps from the balcony and we were on Cocoas Beach with stunning views. The room was spacious with a fridge which was stocked twice in two weeks with soft drinks. We also had a coffee making machine. The bathroom was large and could probably have done with having two sinks.
Cocoas Beach is breezy all the time but we preferred this as the Mamora Beach (although very pretty) gets really hot. There were quite a lot of jelly fish at Cocoas beach especially on the days when the sea was rough and so you need to take care. There is quite a lot of seaweed although the beach is raked and cleaned daily.
In the main the staff are all really helpful and friendly especially Alfred who drives the drinks cart on the beach. We had a few minor problems on arrival with the air con not working properly and not enough beds(!) but these were dealt with promptly and efficiently.
As we were at the Beach Club most of our meals should have been in Cocoas. However due to low occupancy we were able to eat at Docksiders and Rainbow Garden whenever we wanted in the evening. We particularly liked Docksiders which is by the Mamora Beach. As we travelled with Virgin we were given vouchers for Picollo Mondo. The setting of this restaurant is very nice but I found the food disappointing and not really any better than the other restaurants - they had run out of lobster and a couple of other items on the menu - I would not have wanted to have paid the $35 per head supplement to dine there.
The food was generally of a good standard and there was always something for everyone in our party of 6. The hotel has its own salination plant on site which means that you can drink the tap water which is useful and saves constantly buying bottled water.
Overall the resort was very clean and the staff work very hard. I would not hesitate to recommend this hotel.
We booked a couple of trips with Virgin and I would really recommend the Excellence boat trips. We had a day trip to Barbuda which although was expensive was quite an experience.
I am happy to answer any questions if you want to e-mail me.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Welcome to the All-Inclusive St. James's Club & Villas, Antigua's most famous address. This beautiful resort is ideally located on a private, 100-acre peninsula. You will love our two white sand beaches, water sports, tennis, four restaurants, indoor and outdoor bars, beach bar & grill, luxurious spa & salon, freshwater swimming pools, supervised Kids Club, wide array of water sports, Scuba diving, and so much more. One of the Caribbean's most popular all-inclusive resorts. Excellent for couples, honeymooners, families, and friends. Located just minutes from major attractions like English Harbour, Nelson's Dockyard, and the lively Shirley Heights. Our warm and welcoming staff and management team will make your stay wonderful and memorable. We look forward to seeing you soon! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, TravelUp, Southall Travel, Odigeo, Travel Republic (UK), Expedia, Holiday Gems, Hotels.com, Ebookers, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly and getaroom.com so you can book your St. James's Club & Villas reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- St. James`s Club Hotel Mamora Bay
- St James Club Antigua
- St Jamess Hotel
- St Jamess Resort
- St James Antigua
- St Jamess Club Antigua
- St. James's Club & Villas Antigua